PDA

View Full Version : Racket Recommendation : Control-oriented with Spin

Veens
02-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Hey, there was this Kid in the Court. He's an ballboy. I talked to him, But then he doesn't have an racket. I'm thinking of donating an new racket to him, SO I asked him what racket he wants, He told me something that could help him with Controlling Shots and Great spin. I want to give him an 11.0+ Ounces racket. I was thinking of the Prince Rebel 98. But will that be a good choice?

Chyeaah
02-21-2012, 01:43 AM
Control and spin, sounds just like the new Pro Staff BLX 95, How old and strong is this ballboy?

If he isn't that strong maybe a DC Pro since of the cheap price, but if your willing to dish out some money then maybe get a 100S.

RacketFever
02-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Yes, the Rebel is a Great option, especially for Top Spin generation. I heard the New Head IG Radical MP is also a good frame.

r5d3
02-21-2012, 02:37 AM
I would ask him if he has any favorite brands (that's important to some kids) and go from there. Every brand has a good control/spin racquet in that weight range. Babolat has the Pure Drive range, Wilson has some nice BLX line sticks, Head has a bunch. Maybe you can get him something not everyone has and go for a Becker. Probably can't go wrong with anything.

Chyeaah
02-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Pure Drive? Control? Hell No.

Pure Storm is more control - spin oriented than a Pure Drive. Pure Drive is Power and Spin.

BigM
02-21-2012, 03:46 AM
I find the Prince Exo3 Tour 100 16x18 to be the most comfortable , Control and spin orientated racket currently available. Worth a demo if you want control and spin.

Veens
02-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Guys. He told me he likes Prince and Head. He's 13 yr old. Almost greater than me, He's really good but he's poor so He couldn't really get a chance to get a new racket. he's been using an Old Prince that someone gave him. Don't know what it is. I can spend up to 300$ thats fine that includes the strings. Well the reason why I wanted to buy one for him is because his family only sells vegetables on the market. And he only a few. So I wanted to give him a racket. because you never know he might be our Future Tennis Player one day.

RacketFever
02-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Guys. He told me he likes Prince and Head. He's 13 yr old. Almost greater than me, He's really good but he's poor so He couldn't really get a chance to get a new racket. he's been using an Old Prince that someone gave him. Don't know what it is. I can spend up to 300$ thats fine that includes the strings. Well the reason why I wanted to buy one for him is because his family only sells vegetables on the market. And he only a few. So I wanted to give him a racket. because you never know he might be our Future Tennis Player one day.

Totally Agree with you. I stay way back in India, and there are many Ball Boys here who have a great passion for Tennis and are very focused and determined. Lol, i'am seriously considering giving away my Old Rackets now. Anyway, i strongly suggest you get him the Prince, a great all round racket.

RNEast
02-21-2012, 06:04 AM

This is the nicest post I've read all day. You know he will never forget you for your generosity. Great job.

prjacobs
02-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I find the Prince Exo3 Tour 100 16x18 to be the most comfortable , Control and spin orientated racket currently available. Worth a demo if you want control and spin.

I agree. Soft on the arm, greater spin potential than pretty much any head frame, lots of control, and light enough for a 13 year old.

I don't know if you're in the US and I don't know how much time you want to put in on top of your very generous offer, but you could also get 4 demo frames from TW and have him pick his favorite. But perhaps you just want to surprise him, which I can totally understand.

Lastly... Good for you. That's a really great thing to do for a young player.

Jack Romeo
02-21-2012, 08:42 AM
if you're willing to spend $300 then maybe you should choose a racket on sale so you can actually buy 2. or you could go to that auction site to get even better prices.

i think the rackets on sale here on tw that would be good for him are the prince exo3 rebel 95 team (more control) or the head microgel extreme (more spin). or you could also get him the original o3 white although that one doesn't have much feel. if he can get used to a very dampened feeling racket, he should be able to harness its power, control and spin potential.

SJSA
02-21-2012, 09:44 AM
My primary racket is Tour 16x18 and I had a chance to play with 2012 Rebel 98 for a week. For control and spin, I wanna recommend you Rebel 98. It feels very solid compared to Tour.

Larrysümmers
02-21-2012, 09:49 AM
you cannot go wrong with the radical MP.

Power Player
02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
What about the Prince Warrior that just came out?

Chyeaah
02-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Don't many of the prince frames have exo3 ports now? maybe he doesn't like the feel of it. You should let him use some of your frames and ask him which one he likes best.

r5d3
02-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Pure Drive? Control? Hell No.

Pure Storm is more control - spin oriented than a Pure Drive. Pure Drive is Power and Spin.

Well, he did say control and spin. So, what you may gain in control with the storm you gain in spin on the Drive. Plus, the new Drive is an awesome racquet all around. I've never hit comfortably with a Babolat stick, and bought this one after 20 minutes.

Good. I was going to ask if you had run this by his parents. After all, a stranger giving a kid a $300 racquet out of the blue in this day and age could easily be construed as weird and creepy.

Still, a great thing you're doing. I would go with one of the Princes if I were you.

Deuces Wild
02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
The idealist in me just had to give you props for doing this. And the pessimist in me is wondering if the parents would just sell the racquet.

prjacobs
02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
you cannot go wrong with the radical MP.

Respectfully, and not meaning to start a flame war - I really like my radical MP, but it's not a spin machine, as least for me :) .
Just my opinion. 18 X 20 just doesn't give me the same action as 16 X 18.
It's a good frame but doesn't really fit the bill for what he wants.
IMHO....

Chyeaah
02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Well, he did say control and spin. So, what you may gain in control with the storm you gain in spin on the Drive. Plus, the new Drive is an awesome racquet all around. I've never hit comfortably with a Babolat stick, and bought this one after 20 minutes.

Good. I was going to ask if you had run this by his parents. After all, a stranger giving a kid a $300 racquet out of the blue in this day and age could easily be construed as weird and creepy.

Still, a great thing you're doing. I would go with one of the Princes if I were you.

Short way. Pure Drive is extremes to Spin and Power. Pure Storm is a balance between control spin and power leaning towards spin and control.

I love how the people are going exo3 tour, exo3 tour. If adults are finding a lack of power, put it into a 13 year old's hands

APD/PD are power and spin. Pure Storm/100S is balanced leaning more towards spin and control (the 100S is moreso leaning to control), The Exo3 Tour 16x18 is the (ultimate) spin and control machine but has lack of power. Pro Open is Power and Spin (less power and less spin than PD/APD but more control)

My advice would be a PureStorm/Yonex 100S/Pro Open but since he doesn't like these brands, just ask him, Prince now is the comfort racquet and lacks in the power department usually, which isn't very beneficial to the 13 year old. Babolat are arm killers to a 13 year old with no technique. Head are generally for more advance players, and they usually produce flat hitting racquets so no spin there.

r5d3
02-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Well, I couldn't get anything out of any previous generation Babolat, but so far I've gotten great control from my new Pure Drive.

In the end, I like somebody's idea of getting 4 demos and having the kid try them, that might solve everything.

Veens
02-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Well since I have a friend here in the Philippines who sells 50% off Prince Rackets. I'd give him 2, So he could play. and That could be the 16x18 Exo Tour and Rebel 98. I think the Warrior is kinda a bit off? Do you think?. Since I became a member in our club. This kid kept on talking to me like we're bestfriends. I suppose the Rebel 98 or 16x18 Exo Tour is a great choice. How about string? I told you guys i'd spend more than 300$ for this ballboy. I can even buy him an Luxi Alu Power Rough. Since Luxi , Wilson , Prince , Head , Babolat are the only strings I remember on a Sports shop.

treblings
02-22-2012, 02:07 AM
i´m going in a different direction with my advice.
i wouldn´t focus on the best racquet and strings but rather use the money to buy him tuition by a good coach,or court time, or pay his expenses in a tournament.
it´s hard to be specific without knowing more.
is the boy well integrated in the club. he says, he treats you like his best friend, that indicates to me he is looking for friends or at least people who
are willing to recognize him. chances are, he feels uncomfortable amongst the well-off folks

Chyeaah
02-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Well since I have a friend here in the Philippines who sells 50% off Prince Rackets. I'd give him 2, So he could play. and That could be the 16x18 Exo Tour and Rebel 98. I think the Warrior is kinda a bit off? Do you think?. Since I became a member in our club. This kid kept on talking to me like we're bestfriends. I suppose the Rebel 98 or 16x18 Exo Tour is a great choice. How about string? I told you guys i'd spend more than 300$ for this ballboy. I can even buy him an Luxi Alu Power Rough. Since Luxi , Wilson , Prince , Head , Babolat are the only strings I remember on a Sports shop.

If you don't trust me go to the exo3 tour 100 forum and find heaps of adults complaining about the lack of power. I doubt that a 13 year old philipino boy will be stronger than 4.0-4.5 players. If he plays tennis and has good technique i would say go for it, but since he doesn't have a racquet i assume he doesn't play tennis. Does he even know how to "spin" the ball? Does he have a long enough stroke to make use of these two players sticks?

I say get him a tweener, like a head instinct, Exo3 black/white. Or you can just get him an exo3 tour 100/rebel 98 and watch him fail with his short compact beginner swings. Guys, take in mind that the kid doesnt have a racquet, so therefore he doesn't play tennis.

and @ person thinking PD have control, go try a PSLGT

treblings
02-22-2012, 03:19 AM
He's really good but he's poor so He couldn't really get a chance to get a new racket. he's been using an Old Prince that someone gave him. Don't know what it is.

obviously the boy has an old racket and knows how to play. veens info is somewhat inconsistent on that point

BigM
02-22-2012, 03:50 AM
If you don't trust me go to the exo3 tour 100 forum and find heaps of adults complaining about the lack of power. I doubt that a 13 year old philipino boy will be stronger than 4.0-4.5 players. If he plays tennis and has good technique i would say go for it, but since he doesn't have a racquet i assume he doesn't play tennis. Does he even know how to "spin" the ball? Does he have a long enough stroke to make use of these two players sticks?

I say get him a tweener, like a head instinct, Exo3 black/white. Or you can just get him an exo3 tour 100/rebel 98 and watch him fail with his short compact beginner swings. Guys, take in mind that the kid doesnt have a racquet, so therefore he doesn't play tennis.

and @ person thinking PD have control, go try a PSLGT

I hear you but you also don't want a kid swinging a 70RA arm buster. Try the Prince exo tour team 100 or the prince rebel 98 team. Both are light comfortable and provide a good foundation for a player of any age to develop good fundamentals.

BigM

Veens
02-22-2012, 04:27 AM
i´m going in a different direction with my advice.
i wouldn´t focus on the best racquet and strings but rather use the money to buy him tuition by a good coach,or court time, or pay his expenses in a tournament.
it´s hard to be specific without knowing more.
is the boy well integrated in the club. he says, he treats you like his best friend, that indicates to me he is looking for friends or at least people who
are willing to recognize him. chances are, he feels uncomfortable amongst the well-off folks

I will. Im already wasting my 1 month pay which is 600$. 500 for him 100 for me. I've payed a good coach for him. And told them to give me free court time since Im a member. And they said thats fine. because I was too friendly to the ballboy, I am going to pay for his expenses. Also buying him clothes since he has old clothes, I have to treat him as my brother too. I can say a Kid like this can be No.1 One day.

treblings
02-22-2012, 04:47 AM
I will. Im already wasting my 1 month pay which is 600$. 500 for him 100 for me. I've payed a good coach for him. And told them to give me free court time since Im a member. And they said thats fine. because I was too friendly to the ballboy, I am going to pay for his expenses. Also buying him clothes since he has old clothes, I have to treat him as my brother too. I can say a Kid like this can be No.1 One day.

No.1 in your club?

Veens
02-22-2012, 05:46 AM
I mean No.1 in ATP or Philippines

Veens
02-22-2012, 05:50 AM
Well also. he told me that he has only seen Federer and Nadal,Monfils,Djokovic. and none else. His favorite player is Federer, And I was now planning to buy him an PS.6.1 95 You never know. So I was still deciding until next time I go to the court. Guys is it okay to buy him a PS.6.1 95?

holytennis
02-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Thats great. If he has the Will Power and works extreamly hard, who knows, he can get in the Top 100.

treblings
02-22-2012, 09:07 AM

get the club involved, get the federation involved. ask the federation for an evaluation of his talent
do you know how much money it takes to build up a pro player?:)

Deuces Wild
02-22-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree with the posters who said a tweener might be better for this situation. As for strings, I'm not sure a poly is a good idea. You want a string that will last him a decent amount of time. What's the kid going to do when the poly goes dead after a couple of hours?

Chyeaah
02-22-2012, 11:29 AM
get the club involved, get the federation involved. ask the federation for an evaluation of his talent
do you know how much money it takes to build up a pro player?:)

Yea it's around $25,000 USD a year from 9-12 then around $30,000 a year onwards.

treblings
02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Yea it's around $25,000 USD a year from 9-12 then around $30,000 a year onwards.

yes, and you need private funding since federations aren´t able to pay that kind of money.

ZeroSkid
02-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Wilson six one 95 team, , vantage 95/100 has loads of spin(can buy them very cheap off e b a y, just type vantage 95), babolat pure storm, prince exo3 tour or rebel 98,

Veens
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Well. I'm kinda abit a shy type. I just want him to play normally until he's reached a certain level that he's ready for it. And that'll happen when I'm old. I am hoping that my brother and him could be at Top 100 at ATP one day.

Well does poly break that easily? I won't go for poly then. How do you prevent breaking a poly? lol.

The Baseline
02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Hey, there was this Kid in the Court. He's an ballboy. I talked to him, But then he doesn't have an racket. I'm thinking of donating an new racket to him, SO I asked him what racket he wants, He told me something that could help him with Controlling Shots and Great spin. I want to give him an 11.0+ Ounces racket. I was thinking of the Prince Rebel 98. But will that be a good choice?

Wilson BLX 95 is an amazing amazing racquet for control and spin. I would recommend it

Deuces Wild
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Well does poly break that easily? I won't go for poly then. How do you prevent breaking a poly? lol.

It's not that it breaks easily. The benefits of using a Poly are gone after the first couple of hours after which it can be detrimental to your game/arm. Definitely not worth paying the premium for poly in this instance.

BigM
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Hmm this story is lacking consistency like my backhand. Maybe a troll?

ChicagoJack
02-22-2012, 07:57 PM
It's not that it breaks easily. The benefits of using a Poly are gone after the first couple of hours after which it can be detrimental to your game/arm. Definitely not worth paying the premium for poly in this instance.

Just throwing in a splash of perspective, as to what might be appropriate for an aspiring junior on a budget. The perception as to the usefulness, and proper use, of poly has changed much in the last 10 or 15 years. Back in the day, when Luxillon BB original was the new kid on the block, part of the reason it got some traction in the pro ranks initially was that players had been been using it in the euro juniors, and semi pro ranks because the stuff was cheap and just didn't break, and that's important if you are hoping to to win enough to pay for your next plane ticket. Yes it's true, the point you make about poly eventually going dead, long before it breaks. But this was not always common knowledge.

ChicagoJack
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Hmm this story is lacking consistency like my backhand. Maybe a troll?

I've been moments away from donating some racquets in my closet, for a few days now. I dunno... something seems a little off maybe.

treblings
02-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Well. I'm kinda abit a shy type. I just want him to play normally until he's reached a certain level that he's ready for it. And that'll happen when I'm old. I am hoping that my brother and him could be at Top 100 at ATP one day.

Top 100 seems like an attainable goal.and then who knows what can happen?
since you mention age, may i ask how old you are?
btw, the well-kept secret on how to prevent polys to break is, you have to lubricate them regularly. but there are others on this forum who ar more expert on this then me:)

Veens
02-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Top 100 seems like an attainable goal.and then who knows what can happen?
since you mention age, may i ask how old you are?
btw, the well-kept secret on how to prevent polys to break is, you have to lubricate them regularly. but there are others on this forum who ar more expert on this then me:)

I'm 26. Well I didn't really know that poly breaks easily. I haven't break mines.

And no it is not an troll. it is real. Bought him Rebel 98 today. Strung with Just a Head FXP, @ 55