PDA

View Full Version : Prince Tour Diablo Re-stock

carlos djackal
02-21-2012, 02:09 AM
I am surprised that new stocks of this stick were back in the shelves of TW, I thought that this will be discontinued and I have seen the last of its stocks, apparently I was wrong. I am intrigue by this stick and was thinking that this is one of the great one since it is still in production yet when I browse the customer reviews I found some unflattering comments of its performance. But the mere fact that it still is in production suggests to me that a lot of tennisters are still patronizing this model. Specs are impressive with a thin beamed racket. Can any TT poster share his/her experience. I tried a searched but yielded only a few.

kabrac
02-21-2012, 05:38 AM
It is in my opinion, one of the best stock racquets to play with. This is coming from someone who has used the midplus and xp versions. Both the mid and midplus are very good racquets.

Mid
Good racquet you can pick right up and start playing with it.
Hits a good heavy ball, flat or spin.
Serves are great and controllable.
A tad harsh, not too harsh but, great feel.

Midplus
Good racquet you can pick right up and start playing with it.
Loads of control, feel, touch, spin.
Very whippy but not whimpy.
Good serves.

dman72
02-21-2012, 05:52 AM
The diablo is tremendously unstable stock IMO. Even leaded up it doesn't have near the plow that similar sticks have. I need to experiment with some more powerful strings because right now it has my normal set up (kevlar mains, poly crosses around 50Lbs) that I use on all my other racquets and it's pretty awful. It tends to twist unless you hit dead center, and this is with another 7 grams of lead in the head. I wonder if part of this is the, what I believe to be, rubberized pallet.

ollinger
02-21-2012, 06:17 AM
^^ agree strongly here, have rarely used anything that felt so unstable at net as the MP version of this racquet.

thug the bunny
02-21-2012, 06:25 AM
I know it doesn't get a lot of love here on TT, but I liked my Diablo Mid. It's an old school no frills classic graphite stick. It gives you exactly what you put into each shot. Feel is not as great as some players sticks, and plow is decent but not mind blowing. I found great control with the Diablo. The ball went where I intended, and if you put a little mustard on it, it would go with pace and spin.

bluetrain4
02-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Used a Diablo mid for about 3 years starting in 2006. Incredible, classic, solid, stable, no-frills frame (as others have said). Some people avoid it because it's 93 sq inches, so they categorize it with the 90s. But, the sweetspot is huge and it should really be thought of as a 95. Again, fantastic frame and now you can pick it up cheap.

Diablo midplus shouldn't even share the Diablo name. It can be very unstable and the string bed has hot spots. Though, when it was first introduced I did know a handful of players who were very happy with it. The thin beam is nice. But, overall, it's just not well designed and isn't the same quality as the mid.

When Diablo midplus was first introduced, the specs were listed as 11.7 oz and 10 pts headlight, which always seemed wrong. It felt much lighter. The new specs (after it was restocked by TW) have it at 11.3 oz and 7 pts headlight.

My friend leaded up his Diablo MP with 48 inches (12 grams, I think) of lead tape. Four 12-inch strips starting from the top center. It was pretty good then.

NoMansLandPlayer
02-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Diablo mid is very good, old school players frame. Only complaint is its a little tough on the arm which prevents me from playing it more

jatnut
02-21-2012, 07:09 AM
I currently use this stick and I love it. It is a bit on the stiff side but the control that I have with this stick I am yet to find anywhere else.

With this stick you get out exactly what you put in. It rewards you when you hit the sweet spot (which is pretty large for a mid) and tells you when you miss. Notice I said tell as you are not punished since balls hit outside the sweetspot still come off with pace and depth.

This stick also rewards spin and flat shots equally and serving with it is a breeze.

However, if you dont have a somewhat developed stroke you should probably look elsewhere as it is definitely not for punters

carlos djackal
02-22-2012, 04:34 AM
Well, I wish I could have heard more positive feeds for the MP, I like the specs and would also love to test the 16x18 pattern but obviously the positive feed is more into the mid....lol...

equinox
02-22-2012, 04:45 AM
A prince graphite mid is much better racquet than diablo.

bluetrain4
02-22-2012, 07:19 AM
A prince graphite mid is much better racquet than diablo.

I completely disagree, at least comparing the Diablo mid to the current Prince Graphite mid.

I actually had expected them to be very similar, but I thought the Diablo was much more solid. But, personal preference, obviously.

jatnut
02-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I completely disagree, at least comparing the Diablo mid to the current Prince Graphite mid.

I actually had expected them to be very similar, but I thought the Diablo was much more solid. But, personal preference, obviously.

I have to agree with you blue. I have both and the diablo in my estimation is the better of the two. If equinox has a diablo in at least 8 / 10 and 4 3/8 grip Ill trade one of POG mids in similar condition for it :)