PDA

View Full Version : Tie off main to main and X to X?

Baloo
02-21-2012, 02:20 AM
Hi all, I know this is possible (well on an O-port racket at least) but I just wanted to get your opinions on why it isn't more common as it would allow you to change either mains or crosses independently.

Lack of a tie off hole?

What do you guys think?

Irvin
02-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Where do you tie your first cross? This requires the use of a starting clamp and most frames do not have a tie off hole on a cross to tie the first cross so you have to open up a grommet with an awl.

When a string breaks whether it is a main or a cross the racket will deform. You will never get that deformation out with either the mains or crosses in the racket.

EDIT: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74551

Baloo
02-21-2012, 02:43 AM
Hi Irvin, I agree about opening two grommets on most frames, I've never done this is it a big deal?

The point about changing either the mains or X is to do it before they break i.e cut them out with the racket mounted in the stringer. If you break a string on the court then I would cut everything out and start again.

I guess you would need some way of preventing the X's collapsing the frame (if changing the mains).

Just a thought.

Irvin
02-21-2012, 05:58 AM
No it is not a big deal P1 does that for Roger Federer's frames but I think it weaken the grommets and I would not do it unless requested. Roger F Plays with gut in the mains and Luxilon ALU rough in the crosses. Maybe if you have a rough poly on gut mains it might be a good idea.

I would not change mains or crosses without changing both for any reason. But there are some that do that.

MAX PLY
02-21-2012, 06:31 AM
I never think it is a good idea to just restring mains or crosses after a break--when you break a string, cut them all out and restring the whole thing (I actually have surgical scissors in my bag so I can do it on the spot--just makes it easier when I have to restring later). Aside from possibly being bad for the frame (not sure these days, frames are pretty tough), I just don't know how I could keep string bed consistency. Plus, it seems like a huge pain (not to mention the additional friction) to unweave half the strings to arguably save a few dollars. But, to each his/her own.

fortun8son
02-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Tying off the last X on a M or an X varies from frame to frame and brand to brand. I'm sure the designers/engineers have their reasons for this, but it is NOT to facilitate changing Xs only.
AFAIK only people who string their own gut/poly do this.
To save money.
Most pro stringers will just shake their heads and say,"No, it's a bad idea."
P1/Federer is an exception, but I bet it is also to save money.
Wilson natgut is expensive, even for them!
Six half sets a day would add up quickly.
The Lux would be toast and the Natty, barely bruised.

RJYU
02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
P1/Federer is an exception, but I bet it is also to save money.
Wilson natgut is expensive, even for them!
Six half sets a day would add up quickly.
The Lux would be toast and the Natty, barely bruised.

We never cut out mains or crosses only. All restrings we do for Roger are always full restrings.

fortun8son
02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Myth Busted! Cool! Thanks, RJYU.
So there is no exception.
Proceed at your own risk!

Baloo
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Also pretty cool to have Rogers stringer comment here! (side note: I was watching his demolition of Nadal in the 2010 WT final last night ;-)

I know most (all) of you recommend changing the strings as a set, I don't want to start that debate here.

The question is when you clamp a racket (strung this way) in a 6 point machine and remove the mains, there is nothing (bar the strength of the frame) to stop the head collapsing?

The reason is a friend of mine uses poly mains and gut Xs.

Baloo
02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
@ RJYU
Does Roger have his Xs tied off on a X as stated Irvin?
If so why?
TIA

RJYU
02-22-2012, 05:16 AM
@ RJYU
Does Roger have his Xs tied off on a X as stated Irvin?
If so why?
TIA

Yes, we tie off the crosses on another cross. We do this because we don't like tying off poly on gut mains. A knot is the weakest point of a properly strung racquet, so we try to protect that spot as much as possible. A good stringer can tie a poly cross on a gut main with a good knot, and it won't be a problem. A problem is more likely to arise when an inexperienced or poor stringer applies too much pressure when cinching up the knot. Its possible to pinch the gut anchor if too much pressure is applied. We take this totally out of the equation by not tying off on the gut main at all. I've got no problem with stringers tying off on gut mains if they know what they are doing though.

fortun8son
02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
The question is when you clamp a racket (strung this way) in a 6 point machine and remove the mains, there is nothing (bar the strength of the frame) to stop the head collapsing?

The reason is a friend of mine uses poly mains and gut Xs.
Correct. There is nothing to keep the frame from collapsing.
Removing crosses is debatable.
Removing mains is insane!

Overheadsmash
02-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I use gut mains / poly crosses and I always cut both out when re-stringing. When I remove the old strings, I cut at the x where a main and cross intersect - so I cut a main and a cross at the same time. I start in the center, and cut diagonally away - one up, then one down, until I get to the end out by the top right corner and bottom left corner of the frame. This seems to be the best way to ease the tension off and keep it balanced. Anyone else do this?

mmk
02-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I use gut mains / poly crosses and I always cut both out when re-stringing. When I remove the old strings, I cut at the x where a main and cross intersect - so I cut a main and a cross at the same time. I start in the center, and cut diagonally away - one up, then one down, until I get to the end out by the top right corner and bottom left corner of the frame. This seems to be the best way to ease the tension off and keep it balanced. Anyone else do this?

I tend to spiral out from the center.

fortun8son
02-27-2012, 12:01 AM
That's what I do. There are other methods, but I think this is the safest.