PDA

View Full Version : Stringway with Concorde Base

bbulla
02-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi,

I have a Stringway ML100 with the Concorde base, but whenever I pull tension on the mains from the throat when the racquet is in the 'up' position, the base actually shifts upwards on the shaft that supports it while I am applying tension. This causes the racquet handle to drop onto the top of the tension head. I don't believe this is how it's supposed to work.

Is there a way to 'lock' the base so that this shifting doesn't happen?

Does this make any sense?? :-)

Darkhors
02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
I would call Mark at Alpha to ask him about it. I don't think that is the way it should work because it would seem that the grip could get ruined from the tension head moving against it. This is interesting because I'm looking to buy the concorde system for my current ML100 and want to know if there's any issues with it.

Keep us posted on what Mark says.

DH

bbulla
02-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Yes, I'm talking to Alpha but figured I might get an answer posting on here too. This is the second issue I've had with the base....mostly because they provide no documentation on how to set it up. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

I'll keep you posted.

Darkhors
02-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Bulla,

Did you purchase the concorde system with your ML100 or did you upgrade to it after the fact?

DH

bbulla
02-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I purchased it with the ML100, so I did not have to assemble anything other than placing the base on the post that it sits on. Perhaps that is why it didn't come with any documentation.

My first issue was that the racquet handle was not lifting high enough in the Concorde position to clear the tension head. The issue there was to remove the screw that was installed on the top of the post, to give it more of an angle. That was an easy fix.

Darkhors
02-21-2012, 08:41 AM
That's interesting. I spoke with Mark about a week ago or so and he said that he has some documentation that he would send if I was to purchase the unit. Maybe he'll be able to send that your way since you've already purchased the unit with the system in place.

DH

Sir_N
02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Hi all! I recently upgraded my ML100 with a concorde base since I have had a concorde on my MS200 for years and really enjoy this improvement on the Stringway machines. This upgrade involves getting a new beam to the ML100 frame and new turntable that can be screwed onto the centre post. Also, the turntable lifting mechanism includes a slanted delrin block that fits underneath the turntable. 
From what I learned when assembling this i recommend the following: 

First, Check the slanted block on the bottom of the turntable. It is not symmetrical and may have been attached the wrong way. Set the turntable parallel to the beam, just as if you are pulling on a string through the throat. Then look at the lifter block underneath and check that it is centered right on top of the roller. If not, it has probably been attached 180 degrees wrong. 
Second, the turntable must be fastened to the centre post with the screw. Put it back. 

My setup works fine and I can recommend the upgrade.

S.

Peppershaker
02-24-2012, 03:25 AM
I'm also very interested in upgrading my ML100 with the Concorde System as well. When I purchased my ML100 a year or so ago, I thought it was an option but it wasn't at the time. Keep going to the Alpha site and there isn't much if anything on the upgrade or the process so I've been waiting.

If anyone does upgrade it would be appreciated if they would photo and document the new components and the process. Also if they would post any issues such as the above.

I'm very satisfied with my existing machine would like what it appears the Concorde System adds but and would really hate to mess up my machine in the process. Is the upgrade something that can be reversed if not liked?

bbulla
02-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Hi Sir_N.

I think my issue is that my turntable does not have a hole in it to put the screw into that would fasten it to the post. Can you post a pic of your turntable showing where the screw fastens the turntable to the base??

Sir_N
02-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Hi bbulla,

I'm sorry, I am travelling until next week and cannot take any picture (don't know how to post a picture, anyway!).
The turntable should have a countersunk hole dead center in the middle, down in the central groove, aligning up with a threaded hole in the tilting post on the base. (Was this the screw you removed?)
Yes, I'm also inclined to think that if your turntable rises up on the post, it will see-saw on the lifter block and the racquet handle will hit the tension head.
When considering to upgrade with the Concorde, Stringway actually told me I absolutely needed to secure the turntable and that I could drill this hole myself, assuming I had the skill. I chose to buy a new turntable.

I'm in Europe so I do not have any experience of Alpha, but it seems they delivered a turntable that was not prepared for the concorde. Too bad they cannot mail you a hole :)

S.

bbulla
02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
OK, so I just talked to Alpha and it looks like Stringway will be sending me a new turntable. Some sort of a mix-up during the shipping process and they sent me the wrong turntable that doesn't have a hole for the screw.

So I will just disable the Concorde turntable for now (by removing the little wheel) and using as a regular ML100 until I get the new turntable.

bbulla
03-21-2012, 05:57 AM
OK, so after a bit of time Stringway sent me a replacement turntable with the hole needed to attach it to the base, pre-drilled. The reason why it was sliding was because I couldn't attach it to the base properly. Some sort of mix up in either shipping or manufacturing.

Anyways, I have my new turntable.

Darkhors
03-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Bulla, could you take some pics and post them? I'm interested to see what exactly I'll have to do to modify mine so I can use the concord part.

Thanks,

DH