PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Stringing Prince Multi

Rjtennis
02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
I strung a stick with Prince Premier LT 16 and had a lot of trouble. I have a Neos 1500 and first off I had a hard time finding the right pressure on the clamps. It was a very fine line between damaging the string and having the string slip (which happened a few times). I cleaned my clamps with rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush and still had problems. I also noticed a large amount of ghosting occuring from tensioning the string and from putting the string in the tensioning gripper. These problems happened when I was stringing the mains. I did not have any slipping or much ghosting when doing the crosses. I am a fairly new stringer and any tips for working with this string would be very appreciated. Thanks!!

fortun8son
02-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Some strings will exhibit 'ghosting' if you even look at them too hard.
The worst is Hollow Core. You can hear it pop like bubble wrap when you clamp or pull tension!
It is ugly but does not appear to affect playability or longevity.

lefty10spro
02-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Rj, this string is a tricky one even for those of us with 30 years of stringing experience. You've gotta go pretty tight on the clamps or it will slip. The Prince Recoil is even more slippery, and if it slips the string is damaged. Better to crush it! Thankfully Recoil has been discontinued and I am switching my Recoil lovers (I own a Prince exclusive pro shop) to BeastXL.

fortun8son
02-21-2012, 05:28 PM
I've used the Ektalon Premier softflex 17 black as a racquetball string. Same stuff, really and the black masks the bruises.

Rjtennis
02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback! Im kind of a perfectionist and hate the marks and ghosting, but it sounds like I will have to deal with it. Next time I will make sure the clamps are pretty tight so doesnt slip on me.

COPEY
02-22-2012, 05:37 AM
Rj, this string is a tricky one even for those of us with 30 years of stringing experience. You've gotta go pretty tight on the clamps or it will slip. The Prince Recoil is even more slippery, and if it slips the string is damaged. Better to crush it! Thankfully Recoil has been discontinued and I am switching my Recoil lovers (I own a Prince exclusive pro shop) to BeastXL.

-- I'll keep that in mind in case any of my customers request it.

-- Hated stringing Recoil. Had a high school kid using it, and he stopped coming around (thank goodness lol).

-- Glad to hear that! Don't have to worry about other Recoil lovers.

mikeler
02-22-2012, 05:43 AM

Recoil is the only string I've ever used where the string slipped through the knot after it was tied tight and came undone. Such a slick surface I guess.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Im kind of a perfectionist and hate the marks and ghosting, but it sounds like I will have to deal with it. Next time I will make sure the clamps are pretty tight so doesnt slip on me.

Probably 1/3 of the multis I've strung exhibit ghosting. Nothing you can do about it.

DE19702
02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
If anyone wants to sell me their Recoil, I'll buy it. I love it.