PDA

View Full Version : Cracked racquet from clipping out crosses?

NE1for10is?
02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
I just noticed a large crack at the Y of my racquet that runs all the way to the handle. Time for a new racquet. The racquet is about two years old and I use it quite a bit, but I never abuse it. For the last few months I have enjoyed playing with gut in the mains and poly in the crosses at a lower tension than is recommended by the manufacturer (53/46), but it gives me the power, control and spin I'm looking for. When the poly goes dead after about 7 hours of play, I leave the gut, clip out the poly crosses and put in another set of poly.

So do any of you racquet gurus out there think either the low tension or clipping out the crosses could cause this kind of crack?

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg554/crj773/photo.jpg[/IMG]

aimr75
02-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Leaving the mains in and just cutting out the crosses would definitely put stress on the frame.

scotus
02-21-2012, 04:08 PM
No, if it results in a crack, it would be in the hoop, possibly the throat.

But right above the handle? I doubt it.

subz
02-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Are you 100% sure its not in the paint ? I bought an old head racquet and it seamed it was cracked. I scratched the paint away and found the crack didn't run deep in the graphite.

esgee48
02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Agree with Scotus. Crack not caused by cutting out the poly. I've seen some racquets crack there when they were dropped and the handle hit the ground first. But this happens VERY infrequently and mainly to Babolats IME.

Faithfulfather
02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Dumb question, but are you clamping the frame in the stringer before cutting out the crosses? If not, then that is your problem. If so, then I am clueless.

NE1for10is?
02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Dumb question, but are you clamping the frame in stringer before cutting out the crosses? If not, then that is your problem. If so, then I am clueless.

No, actually I haven't been clamping it first. It never occured to me to do that, but I will from now on.

Love50
02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
No, actually I haven't been clamping it first. It never occured to me to do that, but I will from now on.

Ouch... I cringe when I try to visualize that.

loosegroove
02-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, you definitely need to mount it in the stringer before cutting out the crosses. But I agree with the others that the crack looks like it was caused by something else, since it's not in the hoop.

UCSF2012
02-21-2012, 10:13 PM
If you got 2 years out of 1 frame, then you got your money's worth already. Time to move on. A new BLX Tour is under $100 new anyway. Restring the old one with tournament nylon and donate that frame to some needy kid without a home.

Costs less to replace the cross only than to replace the entire frame. Just mount the frame before clipping the crosses in the future.

NE1for10is?
02-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Is it standard practice to clamp the frame when cutting out a full bed too (mains and crosses)?

nalvarado
02-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Not if you alternate cutting mains/crosses, keeping the same stress on both.

equinox
02-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Did well to get two years out of racquet being incorrectly strung and strings cut out.

Very sad to see people resorting to reusing gut strings. Is the economy that bad?

NE1for10is?
02-22-2012, 05:03 AM
Did well to get two years out of racquet being incorrectly strung and strings cut out.

Very sad to see people resorting to reusing gut strings. Is the economy that bad?

The poly goes dead after about 7 hours of play and the control goes out the window, whereas the gut seems to last forever and still plays very well. If I replaced the gut after every 7 hours of play it would cost over $80 a month for the gut alone.