PDA

View Full Version : Help with lead tape. Babolat/Wilson

shake&bake
02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey guys, I have been using the Babolat Aero Storm for the past year or so, but about a week ago I picked up a Wilson BLX Six One 95 18x20 and I cant put it down. I get so much more plow through and power with much more stability on volleys. I am 16 years old and a serve-and-volley type player, but I cant make the switch to Wilson becuase it would be too expensive and inconvienient. Is there any way I could use some lead tape to make my Babolats feel more like this Wilson? Im guessing some lead under the handle, but I honestly have no experience with lead tape so any help would be appreciated :) The Aero Storm is 10.6oz and 7 points headlight, and the Wilson is 11.7oz and 12 points headlight.
Thanks guys!

ChicagoJack
02-21-2012, 06:13 PM
...The Aero Storm is 10.6oz and 7 points headlight, and the Wilson is 11.7oz and 12 points headlight.
Thanks guys!

Hmm...

I got started on this for you, but it seems the weight, swingweight, and balance, of the two are closer than what you are describing. 10.6 and 11.7 is a spread of 1.1 oz. strung or unstrung, apples to apples.

Q : Am I looking at the correct racquets?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/olmo21/Aero-blx.png

shake&bake
02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Oh, my fault, I forgot to mention that they are Aero Storm GT's. You're spot on with the Wilson though.

ChicagoJack
02-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Oh, my fault, I forgot to mention that they are Aero Storm GT's. You're spot on with the Wilson though.

Ok cool... I'm on it. Will be back with a range of options.

shake&bake
02-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks so much!

ChicagoJack
02-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Okay...

There isn't a whole lot of room for adding mass to the hoop, most of it needs to go in the handle as you suspected, but I did find three options that gave you a little lead in the hoop for oomph on your serve and stability on your volleys. I've not tried the 7" handle method, but it has lots of fans and just a few haters.

Option 1 (12:00 & 2" from Butt)
Location 1: 27" from butt, put 1.4 grams
Location 2: 2" from butt, put 21.6 grams
Concept: Some players, and lots of baseliners
really like the feel of lead at 12. Lots of bang for the buck there.

Option 2 ( 3:00-9:00 + 2" from Butt)
Location 1: 20" from butt, put 2.8 grams
Location 2: 2" from butt, put 20.2 grams
Concept: This maximizes the twistweight, or stability around
the long axis. The idea is stability on off center volleys,
while still adding a bit of oomph to your serve.

Option 3 (Using the 7" Handle method)
Location 1: 27" from butt, put .8 grams
Location 2: 7" from butt, put 8.6 grams
Location 3: 1" from butt, put 13.7 grams
Concept : Some will say that mass added to the 7" location will
speed up the swing, most notably during the phase of the swing
before impact as the whole racquet is falling and the head is accelerating.

With all three options your final strung specs would be the same : 346 g, balance at 31.7 cm (8 Pts HL) and ~338 sw. For 1/4" lead tape, 4 Inches = 1 gram. 1/4" tape will work great in all of the hoop locations. But for the handle, changing your grip shape or size, or losing the bevels will be a concern. You could consider 1/2 lead tape carefully laid out in strips, or silicone in the handle, or the blue tack stuff. 1" of silicone = about 10-12 grams. that's a rough estimate and you should erm.. weigh and measure while you squirt so to speak.

-Jack

shake&bake
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks so much! That helps so much. I think I am going to go with either the 7" handle method or option 1.

ChicagoJack
02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah cool, no problemo. Check out this thread also... pics on silicone and leading up an aero storm gt.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=357497

-J

Hi I'm Ray
02-21-2012, 11:26 PM
With all three options your final strung specs would be the same : 346 g, balance at 31.7 cm (8 Pts HL) and ~338 sw. For 1/4" lead tape, 4 Inches = 1 gram. 1/4" tape will work great in all of the hoop locations. But for the handle, changing your grip shape or size, or losing the bevels will be a concern. You could consider 1/2 lead tape carefully laid out in strips, or silicone in the handle, or the blue tack stuff. 1" of silicone = about 10-12 grams. that's a rough estimate and you should erm.. weigh and measure while you squirt so to speak.

-Jack

If the lead is going to be near the butt cap just pop the trap door open and stick the lead tape directly onto the inside of the handle. You'll probably have to wipe off some of the dust in there first with some solvent like alcohol, and use something like a pen to push the lead tape down.

ChicagoJack
02-22-2012, 11:20 AM
If the lead is going to be near the butt cap just pop the trap door open and stick the lead tape directly onto the inside of the handle. You'll probably have to wipe off some of the dust in there first with some solvent like alcohol, and use something like a pen to push the lead tape down.

Aha... I get the idea, but don't know if that would work for this much lead. 20 grams is 80 inches of 1/4 lead tape, or 40 inches of 1/2 inch tape. That's lots of layers stuck right into a very small area (1- 2 inches from the buttcap) I'd be worried the lead would become unglued, pop off and clank around on the inside of the pallet.

Funbun
02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
OP, be aware that the most important spec will be swingweight. I would suggest you do option 1, as that would most dramatically increase swingweight with the least weight, and you can easily experiment from there.

ChicagoJack
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
OP, be aware that the most important spec will be swingweight. I would suggest you do option 1, as that would most dramatically increase swingweight with the least weight, and you can easily experiment from there.

All three of the options I offered have the same swingweight, balance, and mass.

Funbun
02-22-2012, 05:42 PM
All three of the options I offered have the same swingweight, balance, and mass.

I'm embarrassed. Carry on.