PDA

View Full Version : New BLX 6.1 95 16x18

wangs78
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Has anyone played with this racquet yet who can tell me how it compares with past iterations of this racquet? The specs seem to suggest this version is an ounce or two lighter than the previous versions and is also a bit more head light.

Thanks in advance.

anhuynh16
02-21-2012, 06:44 PM
i will be demoing the 18/20 version tommorow.

Donny0627
02-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Has anyone played with this racquet yet who can tell me how it compares with past iterations of this racquet? The specs seem to suggest this version is an ounce or two lighter than the previous versions and is also a bit more head light.

Thanks in advance.

Just strung a couple of my new ones up today. Felt like a carbon copy of the "first gen" BLX at first. Getting into hitting with it it seemed to feel a little bit crisper than past versions. All in all, on day one it seemed like a step in the right direction, albeit a tiny one.

wangs78
02-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Just strung a couple of my new ones up today. Felt like a carbon copy of the "first gen" BLX at first. Getting into hitting with it it seemed to feel a little bit crisper than past versions. All in all, on day one it seemed like a step in the right direction, albeit a tiny one.

Thanks - I'm still hoping/waiting for an iteration of this that plays more like the Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 (which were on the lighter side). Am hoping this is it, but if it's a carbon copy of the first gen BLX then it probably isn't... =(

rallyguy
02-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I've hit with it briefly at our club demo night and I'm a ncode guy and didn't like the first BLX too much. But this one had more feel and felt lighter and more manueverable. I didn't intend to like it as I was intrigued by the new prostaff models which I actually didn't like. With the balance now more like my ncode I'm seriously considering getting one as mine are more than a bit worn. I'd say it's more than worth a demo.

quest01
02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
delete......

quest01
02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m507/bretts123/IMG_1162.jpg

The new blx 95 16x18 is a great racquet. It has a ton of feel, control, and surprisingly a lot of power, I can generate more power and hit more winners with this racquet than with the Babolat APDGT. I use this with lead tape at the 3 and 9 so the strung weight is around 12.5 total. The only issue I've had is that the grip size feels one size bigger, I think the amplifeel that's added in the handle increased it by a little bit but overall its an awesome racquet.

ICanBeSerious
02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412174
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413575

Power Player
02-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Quest..its the pro hyrbrid grip..its thick..swap with babolat leather and you will like the gripsize.

bluetrain4
02-22-2012, 08:27 AM
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m507/bretts123/IMG_1162.jpg

The new blx 95 16x18 is a great racquet. It has a ton of feel, control, and surprisingly a lot of power, I can generate more power and hit more winners with this racquet than with the Babolat APDGT. I use this with lead tape at the 3 and 9 so the strung weight is around 12.5 total. The only issue I've had is that the grip size feels one size bigger, I think the amplifeel that's added in the handle increased it by a little bit but overall its an awesome racquet.

Ordering mine today! Good to know about the grip size. When I play-tested it, I didn't pay much attention, because, obviously, I didn't have a choice. Not sure about strings.

bluetrain4
02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Ugh. I received mine today and I should have chosen a smaller grip. I don't know why after all these years of using a 4 and 3/8 with an over grip that I've slowly felt better with a 4 and 4/14. Maybe it's just me, maybe the grips on specific racquets are slightly bigger. No matter, I really should have known better.

I've been using an old nCode and old kfactor (picked them up very cheap) as I waited the new BLX's release. Those are No. 4 grips (I had no choice), which I just put two overgrips on a bare pallet.

So, I should have known, get a No. 2 grip and go with your usual leather grip and over grip, or get a number 4 and go with 2 over grips over a bare pallet.

No, it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I'm just SO annoyed with myself. I paid all that money and it really should be exactly what I want.

UCSF2012
02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Ugh. I received mine today and I should have chosen a smaller grip. I don't know why after all these years of using a 4 and 3/8 with an over grip that I've slowly felt better with a 4 and 4/14. Maybe it's just me, maybe the grips on specific racquets are slightly bigger. No matter, I really should have known better.

I've been using an old nCode and old kfactor (picked them up very cheap) as I waited the new BLX's release. Those are No. 4 grips (I had no choice), which I just put two overgrips on a bare pallet.

So, I should have known, get a No. 2 grip and go with your usual leather grip and over grip, or get a number 4 and go with 2 over grips over a bare pallet.

No, it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I'm just SO annoyed with myself. I paid all that money and it really should be exactly what I want.

Undo the grip, and regrip it tighter (with the same physical grip). When it's tighter, it'll also be thinner.

dkent
02-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Damn! I just ordered one. I wish They had said how the handle fit in the review. I will have to swap out for leather I guess, it should be smaller then. What tension do most be go with for better control with comfort.

Power Player
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM

It's not the gripsize, it's the pro hyrbid grip.

I have the same grips on my pro opens..replace it with a Babolat leather grip and you will be happy.

bluetrain4
02-24-2012, 02:47 PM
It's not the gripsize, it's the pro hyrbid grip.

I have the same grips on my pro opens..replace it with a Babolat leather grip and you will be happy.

That would usually be the case, but I had TW install a Babolat leather grip before they shipped it. I took it off and put it back on, but it still wasn''t what I wanted. Again, this isn't a HUGE deal. I can do with the No. 3 grip. But, obviously, having spent the cash, I wanted the set up to be "perfect." I may try a different, older leather grip to get it a little thinner, or just put up with just using overgrips on the bare pallet.

I had a No. 3 grip (I think) during the Wilson play test, after which I raved about the racquet, but paid the grip no mind since I didn't have a choice. Clearly it's mostly in my head. But, still annoying.

Fed Kennedy
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
That would usually be the case, but I had TW install a Babolat leather grip before they shipped it. I took it off and put it back on, but it still wasn''t what I wanted. Again, this isn't a HUGE deal. I can do with the No. 3 grip. But, obviously, having spent the cash, I wanted the set up to be "perfect." I may try a different, older leather grip to get it a little thinner, or just put up with just using overgrips on the bare pallet.

I had a No. 3 grip (I think) during the Wilson play test, after which I raved about the racquet, but paid the grip no mind since I didn't have a choice. Clearly it's mostly in my head. But, still annoying.

Theres always bab skinfeel.

Ross K
02-24-2012, 10:27 PM
The new blx 95 16x18 is a great racquet. It has a ton of feel, control, and surprisingly a lot of power, I can generate more power and hit more winners with this racquet than with the Babolat APDGT. Why the surprise with the power? 6.1s are renowned for it. :wink:... I'll be pitting the older BLX against an APD next week, so look forward to checking for myself the observation on which hits more winners.

TennisMD
02-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I've hit with it briefly at our club demo night and I'm a ncode guy and didn't like the first BLX too much. But this one had more feel and felt lighter and more manueverable. I didn't intend to like it as I was intrigued by the new prostaff models which I actually didn't like. With the balance now more like my ncode I'm seriously considering getting one as mine are more than a bit worn. I'd say it's more than worth a demo.

I too prefered the N-Code to the BLX, not the new one. I think the extra couple of points head light matter for me especially on serve I believe the new BLX is 10 pts head light as was the N-Code. I am demoing the new one as discussed in this thread, just ordered from TW. Will post a review when comes in and I have payed a few matches.
Just curious if your N-Codes were not worn out would youstill prefer the new BLX?

Torres
02-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I've got one coming on demo shortly, so will give it a good testing with my own strings, grip etc over the next few weeks.

TennisMD
02-25-2012, 12:19 PM

Bluetrain, how would you compare the new BLX to your older N-Code?

bluetrain4
02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Bluetrain, how would you compare the new BLX to your older N-Code?

Take these comments with a grain of salt. I'm not historically a 6.1 guy. A 6.1 has never been my regular competition frame until this purchase (and I still have 3 months until summer, so it might not be in the end, lol).

BUT, (1), as stated, I've been playing with and old nCode and Kfactor for the past few months that I picked up incredibly cheap, and (2) I have a lot of second-hand experience with 6.1s, hitting with other players' frames, using them here and there out of curiosity, etc.

I think the new BLX gets back to the nCode's great balance of manueverability and stability. If you like the "movement" of the nCode, I think you'll be happy with the new BLX. I've stated many times that the FIRST thing that I noticed when I playtested the frame was the ease of the swing through the contact point. The decreased SW and increased headlight balance were apparent right away. Comapred to the first BLX and kfactor, it just felt easier to swing, as does the nCode, IMO. [The only caveat to this observation is that you actually receive a BLX with something near the stated specs, which isn't always the case with Wilson QC.]

It doesn't match the nCode's "feel". The nCode has some noticeable flex and is probably the most physically comfortable of the 6.1s (at least the ones I've used). The new BLX isn't harsh at all, IMO, but it doesn't have that nCode feel. It's "crisp" and provides good feedback, but again, different than the nCode.

Finally, maybe due to the higher stiffness, I found it to be more powerful than the nCode. The power really susprised me at first. But, it is very controllable power after you adjust.

Both are very solid, as are all 6.1s

6.1 16x18s are marketed as classic "players" frames, but the later generations (Kfactor and the two BLX versions) have healthy 22mm beams and pretty high stiffness. To me, they're somewhere in between a classic player's frame and something like the Pure Drive Roddick, maintaining characteristics of each.

TennisMD
02-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Bluetrain, thanks for the feedback, informative

bigdaddy
02-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Is the 16x18 more powerful than the BLX blade? I get good pop from the blade but would like to try the open string pattern.

bluetrain4
02-26-2012, 03:07 PM

I wanted to update my post about the grip being too big. I still think the stock grip feels bigger than other No. 3 (4 and 3/8) grips. It was shipped with a Babolat leather that TW put on and it still felt too big.

I finally played with the racquet today with just two over grips on a bare pallet, and my grip perception was different when actually playing than when just picking the frame up at home and swinging it around. The size with two overgrips was okay, but without an actual grip, you don't get any indentations to feel. So, after hitting for a while, I took off the two Tourna grips an put on an older, arguably thinner leather grip and then wrapped a single Tourna grip very tight on top. The result was great. So, a No 3. turned out to be the right choice. Though, a No. 2 with a thicker leather grip and Tourna grip would probably work as well.

BTW, this is the first time I had played with the new BLX 6.1 since the playtest back in December, which was what made me decide to buy it in the first place. Now I remember why I raved about the racquet in my playtest review. It was really great. Rock solid.

anhuynh16
02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
I originally asked for the 18/20 version but the guy at my local shop reserved both for me and since I get demos almost free and they know me pretty well it was ok with me.

I'm a dunlop guy but I am going to switch to Wilson soon and I noticed that the molds of the 16/18 and 18/20 are different?

I will try to post a review tommorow.

I think the grip sizes are normal sized though. I use 4 1/4 with an overgrip.

TennisMD
02-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I originally asked for the 18/20 version but the guy at my local shop reserved both for me and since I get demos almost free and they know me pretty well it was ok with me.

I'm a dunlop guy but I am going to switch to Wilson soon and I noticed that the molds of the 16/18 and 18/20 are different?

I will try to post a review tommorow.

I think the grip sizes are normal sized though. I use 4 1/4 with an overgrip.

Interested in feed back still waiting for my demo. So anhuynh any reports?

diegoeste
03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Hi everyone, I use to play in clay surface and I dont know why for me is easier to play with the BLX 6.1 16x18 than my current raquet (a customized HEAD MP FXP RAD).
To be honest I have to work harder with the RAD FXP in order get the same 6.1s heavy ball . Something has change, Im not defending so much as usual with this new racquet.
I suggest to strung the 6.1 with full Pacific Force, it plays fantastic is this raquet.
May be this is my honey moon period, but the new 16x18 swings smoothly. I dont know how it plays in fast surfaces but for clay is a must demo.
Im between 4.0 and 4.5 level.

BC1
03-15-2012, 06:45 AM
I demoed the blx six.one 95 a couple of times last year, and loved it. Played amazing for the first 45min and thought I finally found my racquet, but then the weight started getting to me and I ended up believing that it was just too heavy. However I never spent more then a couple hours with it.

Yesterday I picked up a demo of the new blx six.one 95, 16x18 - I couldn't resist the temptation to try it any longer. I know I will love it, yet I also know it's going to start feeling heavy during a long match. I weighed it and it's 12.4 oz strung, no dampner or overgrip.

The weight of the 6.1 is a common problem with many on these boards, yet I've read that with a couple weeks of heavy playing you can get use to the weight and it's not much of an issue. Have others found this to be the case? How long should the transition take? I usually play with 11.2-11.4 oz frames, but have frequently played with the pdr which weighs in at 11.9.

I would also like to hear from other 4.0 players (or around there) that have found success, or failure, with this "players" racquet. Thanks

Power Player
03-15-2012, 07:40 AM
I loved mine, but the way I hit, I just don't need 12.5 ounces of racquet.

It weighs you down on serves in the 3rd set more than on groundies.

More importantly, if you are a spin hitter, the main challenge is hitting clean a lot. Not a problem, but you need to be playing 4-6 times a week.

Really love this racquet. It's a classic.

I'd suggest trying the team version which is getting rave reviews.

The regular 6.1 is a fusion of tweener and players stick. It really helped me decide on which direction to go in.

BC1
03-15-2012, 08:03 AM
^^^ PowerPlayer, Thanks. I was hoping you would chime in as I knew you had come from the opposite direction - from a 6.1 to a PD. And I'm thinking about going from the PD to a 6.1. That's "IF" I can escape the strong force of the dark side (the Black Drive).

I played with the blue PDGT for 2 years, and just recently have been experimenting with some of the newer frames. The Warrior and Rebel 98. Liked them both ALOT and playing great with the Rebel 98 right now, but for some reason I can't stop looking around even though I am very happy with both princes. I would like to have the game and the strength for the 6.1 in a 3 setter but I know I don't.

The PD is like a drug, and as many say, it's a love/hate relationship. It has saved me many times in some very tough matches and has made me look better then I really am, and then at times I feel it does the opposite. I have played with it, sold it, and then in a week miss it and come crawling back to it again and have to buy another. This has happend many times in the past two years and I have told myself I just got to let it go forever, or NEVER let it go and always keep one in my bag. I'm trying to resist it, for no other reason then I just like the feel and control of some other more "player" type frames. However, deep down I feel like it's a loosing battle and it's only a matter of time before I end up with the Black Drive - again. sorry for the rant, just venting.

Power Player
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Put the right strings for your game in the PD and it's a done deal.

Going to the 6.1 is going to make tennis harder for a while, if not the whole time you have it. The control of the 6.1 is pinpoint, and I was concerned about the PD being tough to control, but I am having no issues with RIP in there at 59#s.

BC1
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
I loved mine, but the way I hit, I just don't need 12.5 ounces of racquet.

I'd suggest trying the team version which is getting rave reviews.

The regular 6.1 is a fusion of tweener and players stick. It really helped me decide on which direction to go in.

PP, Just curious - what is your style of play (way you hit)?
Yes, I had the old blx team for a while. Nice frame, just not enough of anything special, but a great all around comfortable hit. I think the 16x18 pattern will help. I just wish it was a tad heavier but I will prob try it.
Also, did you try to the new PDR? I'm just wondering if it is a lighter/easier stick to swing then the 6.1. The sw is similar and weight isn't too far off.

darklore009
03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
I been using the 95s series or a very long time. When I tried this one, it's like coming back to the k factor version. It still maintain that mute feel, but not as much as the other. Fun stick to hit with.

Power Player
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
PP, Just curious - what is your style of play (way you hit)?
Yes, I had the old blx team for a while. Nice frame, just not enough of anything special, but a great all around comfortable hit. I think the 16x18 pattern will help. I just wish it was a tad heavier but I will prob try it.
Also, did you try to the new PDR? I'm just wondering if it is a lighter/easier stick to swing then the 6.1. The sw is similar and weight isn't too far off.

I use a semi western/western grip and a 2 handed backhand. I hit with heavy spin and like to attack. I will come to net, but am primarily a baseliner. also utilize slice on both wings and love drop shots to keep a guy from standing too far behind the baseline.

I did not try the new PDR, but I love those racquets. I prefer the lighter option of the PD+. I added a little lead at 12 and thats all I needed to do.

BC1
03-15-2012, 10:12 AM
I use a semi western/western grip and a 2 handed backhand. I hit with heavy spin and like to attack. I will come to net, but am primarily a baseliner. also utilize slice on both wings and love drop shots to keep a guy from standing too far behind the baseline.

I did not try the new PDR, but I love those racquets. I prefer the lighter option of the PD+. I added a little lead at 12 and thats all I needed to do.

Well my game is more of the opposite. semi western/sometimes slightly eastern, 1hbh, and more flat then spin, and all-courter. So who knows, this might work out ok for me, or at least the team.

(Actually, that's why I'm liking the rebel 98 - it seems to suit any style of play.)

Nojoke
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
I just picked up 2 new blx 16x18. Strung with overgrip they came to 12.5. A bit too much for me. Here is what I did to combat the weight issue: removed the pro hybrid overgrip and went with just two overgrips.

The pro hybrid is very heavy 20 grams +. Switching to just two overgrips got the total racket weight down to 12 ounces even with minimal impact on plowthrough. Since the racket was 10 pt headlight strung and without an overgrip, this change still left the racket at approximately 8 pts headlight.

The weight is more manageable and still plenty maneuverable. Serving is a dream.

Now if I can just decide on strings. In one stick I have a gut/poly hybrid. It is very plush, but it came out a bit too loose. I need to go tighter. Just strung up one with typhoon and will hit with it tonight.

BC1
03-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Here is what I did to combat the weight issue: removed the pro hybrid overgrip and went with just two overgrips.

The pro hybrid is very heavy 20 grams +...

I have never read anything positive about this grip - No one seems to like anything about it. It seems like Wilson would have changed it with their new models.

How is the comfort and playability with no grip/just overgrips?

Nojoke
03-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I have never read anything positive about this grip - No one seems to like anything about it. It seems like Wilson would have changed it with their new models.

How is the comfort and playability with no grip/just overgrips?

Fine. Tonight will be the test because I'll be using full poly. With a gut/poly hybrid, the racket still felt plenty plush and solid. I've done the two overgrip thing before with a K90 with full poly and had good results. I keep poly somewhat low so that probably helps (Upper 40s). Obviously, you get really good bevel feel this way.

The prohybrid was not too bad. But I would have preferred a TW leather grip with one overgrip to it if I wanted to stay with a heavier racket.