PDA

View Full Version : Wow - Pro Staff BLX 90 Impresses! Now, How To Set-Up?

Warren
02-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Greetings,

I just spent the long weekend demo'ing a series of sticks from Wilson, Head, and Prince, and was literally blown away by the Pro Staff 90. Great power, wonderful control, epic plow, and decent mobility considering it's 12.6 oz strung. Coming from the relatively flacid PSLGT, the Pro Staff 90 was a flame thrower.

Without question, I'm gonna order one of these beauties in the coming days.

To give the stick a bit more HL balance, I plan to wrap of few grams of lead 5.75" up from the butt cap, which has always felt great to me on previous frames.

Any string recommendations? The demo came pre-strung with Pro Hurricane 16's, but these weren't entirely conducive to spin generation (on 2nd serve in particular). I'm looking for a poly (likely) that I can put in a full bed with good durability and solid spin potential, but not something that I have to change every month. The racket itself offers lots of control, so a string emphasizing this component probably isn't hugely warrranted. Also, tension loss doesn't worry me much because I can order a higher tension and then let the strings settle into my desired range of 52-54 lbs.

I'm a 4.5 all-courter, with a modified semi-western FH and one-handed BH, who is not afraid to S&V. I live in San Diego, so string reaction to excessive humidity or extreme cold is not an issue.

Thanks so much for any insight and happy hitting!

PeterFig
02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Greetings,

I just spent the long weekend demo'ing a series of sticks from Wilson, Head, and Prince, and was literally blown away by the Pro Staff 90. Great power, wonderful control, epic plow, and decent mobility considering it's 12.6 oz strung. Coming from the relatively flacid PSLGT, the Pro Staff 90 was a flame thrower.

To give the stick a bit more HL balance, I plan to wrap of few grams of lead 5.75" up from the butt cap, which has always felt great to me on previous frames.

Any string recommendations? The demo came pre-strung with Pro Hurricane 16's, but these weren't entirely conducive to spin generation (on 2nd serve in particular). I'm looking for a poly (likely) that I can put in a full bed with good durability and solid spin potential, but not something that I have to change every month. The racket itself offers lots of control, so a string emphasizing this component probably isn't hugely warrranted. Also, tension loss doesn't worry me much because I can order a higher tension and then let the strings settle into my desired range of 52-54 lbs.

I'm a 4.5 all-courter, with a modified semi-western FH and one-handed BH, who is not afraid to S&V. I live in San Diego, so string reaction to excessive humidity or extreme cold is not an issue.

I played with the Luxilon Ace 18's for a while in my previous BLX 90 frame - really nice string with a crips feel, good spin potential (it's a thin thin gauge) and pretty arm friendly considering it's made by Luxilon :)

Currently in my new PS BLX 90's I'm playing with a hybrid setup at ... see my signature below for details. I really love this combination, crisp yet comfortable.

PS. I would rate my level and style very similar to yours.

stormholloway
02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
I play with this racquet--adore it--and have Tonic/ALU fluoro at 58/55. I think with tight gut in the mains you get a few more hours of playability out of it.

If you're looking for all poly you will not/cannot beat Luxilon ALU.

thomas_kim
02-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey, I use the BLX PS90, too, and I love the racket just like you. But, do you any of you guys have any advice on where to apply some lead tape to the racket to get some more swing weight and plow through?

UCSF2012
02-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey, I use the BLX PS90, too, and I love the racket just like you. But, do you any of you guys have any advice on where to apply some lead tape to the racket to get some more swing weight and plow through?

Google "lead foil tape" and you can buy reels of lead tape for cheap, from something like Tape Depot. They also have silicone tape that I use on the handle to add a bit of cushion to the grip. Spiffy!

Try it at different locations and choose which you like most. 3/9; 10/2; 12 o'clock are the popular locations.

rudester
02-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I played with the Luxilon Ace 18's for a while in my previous BLX 90 frame - really nice string with a crips feel, good spin potential (it's a thin thin gauge) and pretty arm friendly considering it's made by Luxilon :)

Currently in my new PS BLX 90's I'm playing with a hybrid setup at ... see my signature below for details. I really love this combination, crisp yet comfortable.

PS. I would rate my level and style very similar to yours.

Coincidentally i have Luxilon Ace in my pro staff blx 90 at 48/46 and i am loving it.

UCSF2012
02-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Greetings,

If you don't want to restring every month, then full poly isn't a good option for you. Go gut/soft poly. The gut'll provide many, many months of playability even when the poly's dead. Just make sure you use power pads, bottom AND top.

stormholloway
02-22-2012, 05:56 PM

I'm going to experiment with this as well since they swing a bit light. I think 3 & 9 are always a good spot to add lead.

stormholloway
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
If you don't want to restring every month, then full poly isn't a good option for you. Go gut/soft poly. The gut'll provide many, many months of playability even when the poly's dead. Just make sure you use power pads, bottom AND top.

Why? I'm curious.

UCSF2012
02-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Why? I'm curious.

One off-centered hit and the gut snaps, and there goes a $30 string set-up. Against fast servers, you'll hit off-centered often.

I use 3 on bottom, and 4 on top.

stormholloway
02-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Interesting. why do pads prevent this? I often play with pads so I'm familiar with them, but I always thought it was to soften the string bed and lengthen the mains.

Borrelli
02-22-2012, 07:22 PM
One off-centered hit and the gut snaps, and there goes a $30 string set-up. Against fast servers, you'll hit off-centered often.

I use 3 on bottom, and 4 on top.

Say whaaa?

Where the heck are you putting pads on top of a racquet? Can't say I've ever seen that.

UCSF2012
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Say whaaa?

Where the heck are you putting pads on top of a racquet? Can't say I've ever seen that.

After a return shank snapped a new set of gut, ....4 on top!

stormholloway
02-22-2012, 09:46 PM
But how do power pads prevent string breakage? I've never just snapped gut. It always frays first.

Chyeaah
02-22-2012, 09:51 PM
power pads don't make much of a diff now. They use to in wooden frames with sharp angles.

Stringsavers help reduce fraying.

Say Chi Sin Lo
02-22-2012, 10:21 PM

Really? Power pads bottom AND TOP? I've snapped a few sets of gut due to shanks (almost always on the top corners). I've never heard of power pads that can preserve/protect gut against mis-hit breakages...

I'd like to hear more about this. thanks!