PDA

View Full Version : Who has switched from the Babolat Star 5 to the Wilson Baiardo..and why?

siow_a
02-22-2012, 12:05 PM
As a lifetime owner of Babolat Star 2/3 and finally the Star 5. I'm curious to hear from Stringing professionals or users that have moved to the Baiardo stringing machine. I'm sure Albert Lee has used it. I'm curious on his input and others? Thus far the reviews are good but I'm interested in their build quality and their clamping system. Any overshoot?

stringwalla
02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
I have used a Star 3 for 20+ years, so I have a special relationship with that machine. I also use the Baiardo and can say that the clamp teeth are some of the best I have experienced in the industry. I also enjoy some of the touch screen features available.

I have nearly 10K frames on the Baiardo and the calibration is dead-on every time I check. Never had any other issues with reliability, and Wilson HQ reflects this by not necessitating support center to deal with problems.

The main "WOW" of the Baiardo is the ergonomic adjustments the user can utilize. I've been stringing flat for 25 years and can't seem to benefit from this feature. If I owned a shop that serviced less than 20 frames/day, I would own the Biairdo-

siow_a
02-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Yeah, I see more pro shops using them and am wondering is it more Wilson pushing it's new stringing machine or is it a better product. More importantly, why would it be better than a Babolat V. I strung with the Star 2 and 3 for many trouble free years and it is a workhorse. Their support is amazing when needed. Fortunately, I did not need much support. The Wilson has some nice features. Question is what are the merits of the Baiardo over the Babolat?

drakulie
02-24-2012, 06:42 AM
I've strung on both. I also own a star 4 and baiardo.

Greatest feature of the Wilson is it's comfort level to string on. When doing 15-30 frames on it compared to other machines, it can't be beat. I also prefer the center clamps and base clamps over the star 5, although I much prefer the mounting arms of the 5. I also prefer the much faster pull speeds of babolats in general.

Tool trays on both are inadequate, but the Wilson now has an extended tool tray, which I love.

Both are excellent machines and one can't go wrong with either. Customer support for both is excellent.

siow_a
02-24-2012, 08:42 AM
The Babolat 4 is pretty sweet, but are hard to comeby. I thought the Baiardo is pull speed is adjustable. So the Wilson cannot match the speed of the Star 4 or Star 5. I heard that the tie-off settings on the Wilson is based on a percentage above the tension setting. The Babolat uses pounds in lieu of percentage. Did you feel the Wilon was faster than the Babolat? Also, does the Wilson overshoot the tension pull?

stringwalla
02-24-2012, 11:10 AM
The Babolat 4 is pretty sweet, but are hard to comeby. I thought the Baiardo is pull speed is adjustable. Also, does the Wilson overshoot the tension pull?

Yes , pull speed is adjustable and the tie-off percentage extra is a nice feature. If you do a frame at 40lbs and the next at 65, percentage increase makes more sense.

No, the Wilson doesn't "overshoot". Not sure about the Star series, but the Sensor does fro sure-

siow_a
02-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Good point on the percentage and I understand their logic.. Some stringers like a set number of pounds for tie-off. Probably would not be much difference to add that option.

Never used the Baiardo, but curious if the setup is any more complex than say the Babolat Star 5.

RJYU
02-24-2012, 03:12 PM
I've strung on both. I also own a star 4 and baiardo.

Greatest feature of the Wilson is it's comfort level to string on. When doing 15-30 frames on it compared to other machines, it can't be beat. I also prefer the center clamps and base clamps over the star 5, although I much prefer the mounting arms of the 5. I also prefer the much faster pull speeds of babolats in general.

Tool trays on both are inadequate, but the Wilson now has an extended tool tray, which I love.

Both are excellent machines and one can't go wrong with either. Customer support for both is excellent.

Hey Drak,

If you're ever interested in parting with the Star 4 let me know. You can contact me at info@p1tennis.com

We are looking for an extra machine to have in the office since we hate coming back from a tournament and then setting up one of our travel machines.

--Ron

smucker007
02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Strung on old Star 3 and currently own a Baiardo.. I really enjoy stringing on the Baiardo. Yes the puller speed at 100% seems slower than babolats but I usually pull at 30% anyways..so it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Mounting on the Babolats are nice, but the Wilsons are designed well too. Clamps are awesome as well as the table brake for those pesky Prince racquets.

drakulie
02-24-2012, 06:36 PM
The Babolat 4 is pretty sweet, but are hard to comeby. I thought the Baiardo is pull speed is adjustable. So the Wilson cannot match the speed of the Star 4 or Star 5. I heard that the tie-off settings on the Wilson is based on a percentage above the tension setting. The Babolat uses pounds in lieu of percentage. Did you feel the Wilon was faster than the Babolat? Also, does the Wilson overshoot the tension pull?

The Baiardo's pull speed, as already noted can be adjusted, but even at 100% it has a very slow, long pull and release compared to Babolats. Also, as already noted, the tie-off feature is via percentage. I prefer the feature of the Star 4, where one could just add a certain amount of lbs to the tie-off.

As for overshooting tension, from what Albert Lee has posted, the Wilson doesn't have the overshoot problems of the Star 5 or Sensors. The Star 4 does not have this problem either.

siow_a
02-24-2012, 07:55 PM
How would owners rate the build quality of the Baiardo compare to the babolat 2,3,5 and sensor. Have any problems unmounting frame on the Baiardo? I have not experience any issues on the babolat.

Would owner consider the Baiardo slower than the babolat star 5

scotus
02-25-2012, 01:09 AM
If I were to upgrade to one of those top-notch electronic machines, I would definitely want the option to select different pull speeds.

From what I gather, Babolat Star 5 and Sensor automatically adjust the speed to the optimal level, but you can't trust the machine all the time.

Sometimes you want a slower pull even when the machine thinks it's not warranted. So I would probably opt for Star 4 or Baiardo.

stringwalla
02-25-2012, 06:44 PM
How would owners rate the build quality of the Baiardo compare to the babolat 2,3,5 and sensor. Have any problems unmounting frame on the Baiardo? I have not experience any issues on the babolat.

Would owner consider the Baiardo slower than the babolat star 5

I have nearly 10K frames on my Baiardo without issue. Wilson doesn't bother with staffing a service department, but they will respond to any issues as quick as any other manufacturer.

As far as speed, I personally watched a Nadal "on court" get finished in 12 minutes at the Aussie Open. The Baiardo is as fast as you can take advantage of-

siow_a
02-26-2012, 07:49 AM
How much additional maintenance beyond cleaning the guides,clamps,...

Did Wilson mention how long the clamps to go before the springs have to be replaced.

While stringing has anyone experience the string getting tangled with the stringing machine. It is rare but does happen with the star 5.