PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop AG500 Tour vs. Babolat AeroProDrive

The Baseline
02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Anyone hit each of these? Specifications are nearly identical. How does the dunlop fare against the Babolat in terms of pace and control?

hoosierbr
02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Though similar in specs these are two very different racquets.

The Dunlop is better for flatter hitters and has a tad more power in terms of putaway, however, the Babolat has more controlled power due to its incredible, inherent spin potential. In other words you can flatten out the ball and put it away for a winner a little easier with the Dunlop.

Also the Dunlop is far superior on serve, I found. You can serve well with the Babolat too but you'll generate far more pace with the Dunlop.

Both are good volley sticks but the Dunlop is designed a bit more for attacking the net.

Feel wise they're both stiff but the Babolat has a bigger sweetspot and is more forgiving on mishits. The Dunlop - if you miss the very narrow sweetspot and are using a harsh string or don't have a dampener in - then watch out! Your wrist and shoulder will pay the price.

It all comes down to game style. If you're a baseline grinder who hits w/lots of spin go for the Babolat. If you're more all court go for the Dunlop.

Demo both and see. These comments are all based on my experience and every player is different.

Ross K
02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Though similar in specs these are two very different racquets.

The Dunlop is better for flatter hitters and has a tad more power in terms of putaway, however, the Babolat has more controlled power due to its incredible, inherent spin potential. In other words you can flatten out the ball and put it away for a winner a little easier with the Dunlop.

Also the Dunlop is far superior on serve, I found. You can serve well with the Babolat too but you'll generate far more pace with the Dunlop.

Both are good volley sticks but the Dunlop is designed a bit more for attacking the net.

Feel wise they're both stiff but the Babolat has a bigger sweetspot and is more forgiving on mishits. The Dunlop - if you miss the very narrow sweetspot and are using a harsh string or don't have a dampener in - then watch out! Your wrist and shoulder will pay the price.

It all comes down to game style. If you're a baseline grinder who hits w/lots of spin go for the Babolat. If you're more all court go for the Dunlop.

Demo both and see. These comments are all based on my experience and every player is different.

Having picked up on a few eye-catching reports I was actually wondering about the 500 T. This ^ is very useful as I've played the APD on and off for a while. From what you're saying for me personally sounds like the Bab is the better fit.

hoosierbr
02-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Having picked up on a few eye-catching reports I was actually wondering about the 500 T. This ^ is very useful as I've played the APD on and off for a while. From what you're saying for me personally sounds like the Bab is the better fit.

I would reiterate from above that it all depends on your game style. Me, I'm a serve-volleyer and I use an eastern grip on forehand and have a one-handed backhand.

My game is built around my serve so I need a solid serving racquet and the Dunlop is the clear winner. The Aerogel 500 Tour is my main stick now. I didn't care for the 4D version and haven't tried the newest one but the specs seemed to have changed :(

Should also mention that slice is much better with the Dunlop as well. A little added lead, I found, helped with plow through on the Babolat.

Hi I'm Ray
02-23-2012, 03:12 AM
OP: Specifically the AeroGel and not the AeroGel 4D?

phnx90
02-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Actually you might want to look at the Aero Storm Tour; it's supposedly a very decent racquet that is unfortunately generally underrated and under-appreciated.

keithfival
02-23-2012, 08:55 AM
My exp. between the AG 4D 500 tour & APDC:

APDC has more spin, higher looping trajectory, ball has more jump off the court which really can keep your opponent pinned back and is a hard ball to attack.

Dunlop has a more pure feel and is better for everything else, flatter hitting, touch, anything with a continental grip, volleys...it's also stiffer. Sweet spot feels better than APD but mishits feel worse.

I found serves about the same.

Ross K
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM

APDC has more spin, higher looping trajectory, ball has more jump off the court which really can keep your opponent pinned back and is a hard ball to attack.

Dunlop has a more pure feel and is better for everything else, flatter hitting, touch, anything with a continental grip, volleys...it's also stiffer. Sweet spot feels better than APD but mishits feel worse.

Very concise yet accurate summary of what the APD is essentially all about IMO. :wink:

The Baseline
02-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Why would it be better for flatter hitters? Also how close is the retail 4d 500 tour mold to what a professional would use, without lead tape.

prjacobs
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Why would it be better for flatter hitters? Also how close is the retail 4d 500 tour mold to what a professional would use, without lead tape.

I played with the 4D 500 tour for a year and a half and for me, it did everything better than any babolat tweener I tried. But you have to demo. I got an amazing amount of spin with it, my serves went in with effortless power and accuracy and as mentioned, my slice backhand was the best it's ever been. However, it did hurt my shoulder and I've played for decades with no shoulder issues. My ball jumped at opponents....
Good luck.

keithfival
02-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Very concise yet accurate summary of what the APD is essentially all about IMO. :wink:

And it is unbelievably effective, even against a frame that does everything else better! It almost seems tragic.

keithfival
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM

Don't know why but it definitely is for me. The APD has so much spin that even when you hit dead flat, it still seems to spin a little one way or the other and can be hard to reign in depthwise. Also, it is so effective for topspin it just rewards heavy spin over riskier flat shots. It really nudges you in the direction of spin.

The 500 Tour has that very pure straight line drive when hit flat, almost like what I associate with hitting with a 90sq inch frame, and I had no problem controlling flat bombs right off the bat. I've played with the APD for over a year and would be very uneasy hitting as flat as I did with the 500 Tour on the first hit.

Re: weight, my 500 Tours were about 15g lighter than what I'm used to (I usually end up at ~340g) but it's one of the only frames that I never felt the need to add any lead to. Not as HL as the Babs.

BTW, I think I'm done with my 500 Tours so let me know if you're interested in them. Just a little to stiff for me, I'm heading in the other direction!

Ross K
02-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Don't know why but it definitely is for me. The APD has so much spin that even when you hit dead flat, it still seems to spin a little one way or the other and can be hard to reign in depthwise. Also, it is so effective for topspin it just rewards heavy spin over riskier flat shots. It really nudges you in the direction of spin.

I've played with the APD for over a year and would be very uneasy hitting as flat as I did with the 500 Tour on the first hit.

Just looking at the above kind of reminds me why despite my racketaholic wonderings the APD seems to suit me so well.:)