PDA

View Full Version : Bit the bullet and bought a 2012 PDR today

Bud
02-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Damned impulse buys! :)

Replacing the synthetic grip with leather and then stringing it up with full natural gut to make it a bit more comfortable.

Will use it full-time for the next couple of weeks and then write a comprehensive review :wink:

Bud
02-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Frame QC is nearly perfect!

315g unstrung and 7 pts. HL. (exactly what's written on the frame)

Frame fit and finish is excellent. This 2012 model looks better than the 2009 GT, IMO.

in_ten_city
02-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Impulse buys can be dangerous. I was highly considering just spontaneously buying a few YT IG Rad Pros before play-testing them, now i'm really glad i demo'd them first. Hope you like them.

Bud
02-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Impulse buys can be dangerous. I was highly considering just spontaneously buying a few YT IG Rad Pros before play-testing them, now i'm really glad i demo'd them first. Hope you like them.

I'm a Babolat guy and have been using APD's and PD's for years. I also owned a 2009 PDR+ which I felt was too stiff. Hoping this frame is a bit more comfy.

user92626
02-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Where do you guys get money to spend like that? :confused:

Wish I have that kind of budget!

Chyeaah
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm a Babolat guy and have been using APD's and PD's for years. I also owned a 2009 PDR+ which I felt was too stiff. Hoping this frame is a bit more comfy.

First thought is, your pro xD. Can you get those Clijsters down the line with the PD? Find it so damn hard, when i play with babs i just swing super hard down the T.

Bud
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Head Rip Control 17 at 55/48

With a leather grip and strings - specs: 330g (11.6 oz.) and 5 pts. HL

I like frames right around 340g so I added 6g inside the buttcap and 4g at 3/9.

Final specs: 340g (12.0 oz.) and 7 pts. HL

Playing a few hours of doubles later tonight :)

Bud
02-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Played for 3 hours last night rallying and doubles (4.5-open)

The frame feels nearly identical to my slightly modified APD's (also 340g and 6-7 pts. HL. It's more comfortable than the last iteration (PDR GT). It's also more muted than any Babolat frame I've played with to date (could be the string - Head RIP Control). This is the first time I've used RIP in 3-4 years and I don't recall what it felt like in the past. I'll have to try it with all gut as well for a fair comparison.

Against big hitters, the frame is rock solid and doesn't experience any twisting on slightly off-center hits. It appears to be quite a bit more stable in the head as well (versus the last version). This frame feels more similar to the APD than the 2009 PD/PDR. It seems easier to obtain a bit more spin than the previous version (again, it may be the string).

Switching back and forth from the APD to the PD, as always, is nearly seamless being the head size and shape is identical.

ArliHawk
02-25-2012, 11:50 AM
I use an APDGT and like RIP okay. But what I really like is Prince Prmier Attack. Maybe that's worth a try in your pure drive.

Bud
02-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I use an APDGT and like RIP okay. But what I really like is Prince Prmier Attack. Maybe that's worth a try in your pure drive.

I'll check it out

Topaz
02-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Bud...I've been tempted to try it as well! Now even moreso...keep us updated!

bluetrain4
02-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I couldn't decide bwtween the new PDR and the new 2012 BLX 6.1. And, I'm not going to decide. LOL. I got the 6.1 yesterday and will get the PDR in a few weeks.

2012 is shaping up to be a good year for racquets.

Good luck with the PDR!

Bud
02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Played again with it today and the crappy leather Volkl grip started peeling off at the butt cap forcing me to switch back to my APD.

I knew when I installed it that it would most likely be a problem as the tape on the back sucks and was barely sticking to the pallet.

No more Volkl leather grips for me.. just the TW thin leather :)

canuckfan
02-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Just curious Bud, why the 7lb difference in mains/crosses? How does it affect the feel?

The Wreck
02-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Does it at least feel more solid than a standard APDGT? I love how my APD plays, but sometimes it just feels so hollow and unrewarding, and I was hoping this frame would be a remedy to that problem.

Dennison
02-26-2012, 01:20 AM
They have definitely fixed that. PDR feels a lot less hollow and less harsh with full poly then APDGT with full multi

Rozroz
02-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Where do you guys get money to spend like that? :confused:

Wish I have that kind of budget!

huh, you're kidding? 1 stick is my budget limit, i barely been able to afford it, but then i came here and everyone has like 7-8 racquets in their bag, switching between them all the time, each is strung with different strings..

this is MADNESS! i feel so POOR!

Chyeaah
02-26-2012, 02:34 AM
i believe they have 7-8 racquets accumulated within 3-4 or so years?

i think i'll have around 10 within 5 years.

Chyeaah
02-26-2012, 02:39 AM
They have definitely fixed that. PDR feels a lot less hollow and less harsh with full poly then APDGT with full multi

Both the old and new PDR are solid or thereabouts, the PD is the one which the hollow feel starts to annoy you.

Rozroz
02-26-2012, 04:08 AM
i believe they have 7-8 racquets accumulated within 3-4 or so years?

i think i'll have around 10 within 5 years.

I always thought that when i switch to a new racquet it's because i can play
Better with a new frame. Otherwise, why change?

bluetrain4
02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Both the old and new PDR are solid or thereabouts, the PD is the one which the hollow feel starts to annoy you.

I thought the old PDR felt pretty hollow. It performed great, but it felt kinda crappy.

Bud
02-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Just curious Bud, why the 7lb difference in mains/crosses? How does it affect the feel?

I string it so the mains are tight but also snap back into place (reason for lower tensioned crosses). I find that 8-10 lbs. of difference between mains/crosses accomplishes this. I also spray the stringbed with silicone after every time I play. All my strings (even non-poly) snap right back into place and require no straightening). There have been studies of what creates the most spin and it's the action of the mains stretching (upon ball impact) and then snapping back into place that is most effective.

Does it at least feel more solid than a standard APDGT? I love how my APD plays, but sometimes it just feels so hollow and unrewarding, and I was hoping this frame would be a remedy to that problem.

I've never thought the APD or PD felt or sounded hollow. They feel as solid as a rock (especially when you boost the weight up slightly). Many pros use both frames and they are good enough for those ladies and gents.

- - -

Peeling off the crappy Volkl leather grip and replacing with a TW thin leather so I can continue playing with the frame, tomorrow.

I may re-tape the back of the Volkl and use it on one of my used frames. The grip also has ZERO tack (even when slightly damp). I can't see how people like these things! By far the worst leather grip I've ever experienced.

Bud
02-26-2012, 11:10 AM

It's the same frame with slightly more stiffness, mass and a slightly different weight distribution (and PJ). If one feels hollow to somebody, they'll both feel hollow.

Most frames these days are hollow shells (if you've ever seen one smashed). Very few modern frames have a foam core.

Thepowerofchoice
02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I string it so the mains are tight but also snap back into place (reason for lower tensioned crosses). I find that 8-10 lbs. of difference between mains/crosses accomplishes this. I also spray the stringbed with silicone after every time I play. All my strings (even non-poly) snap right back into place and require no straightening). There have been studies of what creates the most spin and it's the action of the mains stretching (upon ball impact) and then snapping back into place that is most effective.

What kind of silicone do you use? Thanks

Bud
02-26-2012, 08:45 PM
What kind of silicone do you use? Thanks

Can of spray silicone lube at Walmart. Usually found in the automotive section. Runs about $2.50 per can and last a long time. It's called CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Multi-Use Lubricant (red can with black cap).

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/gCwBG0RKVjUi-VEQX1JPQZWMBbawb5Rhr7nJeGGSOfD4OKAXfFojz3SA8sYAjRl 6Rkx93UHsooJ-IXNopyahOYa1e144cGqj_Y0msoIPChUjYBNyMnHgytFcUhhdLG 9XQFVECXablhhor_-4K_khq1TRJt6rpRByS16lqoKjFl4H-fawhxW6U0wPjDVGAARuTXrnAq_bP-uHMagARK8IA3ioZXf_2QFTyzUVpZ00LWCkN8yFWg9SKwGQX-PkKotmfrIvZ_uCx-HsQhHx7nCVT1YO9GNTnalTgvc9CGlizx6_O_E79zTvwB5OXZkX MAvifDndna-uEYplQQPCJQg16fp4zu3KJx7O-p1hJjYndmmO

Just a light spray over both sides of the string bed after every session. Then, move all main strings so the silicone gets under where the strings lie. I usually spray the frame while the stringbed is sitting over a piece of cardboard.. so the cardboard absorbs any excess spray.

Regardless of the string type, after about a week, they should snap back into place. If they have a slight texture, they still snap back but don't always perfectly re-align (I've noticed this with the RIP Control). The RIP is the first textured string I've used in years. I think after a week of hitting and spraying, even the RIP strings will re-align themselves.

It works great on full natural gut and non-textured gut/poly hybrids - which is what I've used for the past few years.

Thepowerofchoice
02-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Awesome. Thank for the info and I'm going to try it.

Bud
02-28-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm really enjoying this frame. It feels more similar to the APD than it does to the last generation PD. IMO, It's a tiny bit more muted, with this new Cortex system.

Although my APD's (both GT and original non-cortex) are weighted and balanced the same as this Roddick, the Roddick definitely has more pop on every shot.

It's taken a few hitting sessions to find the balance between power and spin. Now that I've found it, I can really crank my FH with this frame.

As far as comfort, this frame is more comfy than the last Roddick. It feels less stiff. Again, very similar to the regular PDGT or 2010 APD.

Will give it another 1-2 weeks of full-time hitting with this frame before I decide on a permanent switch. Definitely no buyer's remorse here.

Nostradamus
02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Yea, i am still hitting with the Demo. and i can't help it but liking it. Crappy Addiction string is going dead on me fast. but the frame is still playing well. sign of Greatness.

Nostradamus
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Can of spray silicone lube at Walmart. Usually found in the automotive section. Runs about $2.50 per can and last a long time. It's called CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Multi-Use Lubricant (red can with black cap).

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/gCwBG0RKVjUi-VEQX1JPQZWMBbawb5Rhr7nJeGGSOfD4OKAXfFojz3SA8sYAjRl 6Rkx93UHsooJ-IXNopyahOYa1e144cGqj_Y0msoIPChUjYBNyMnHgytFcUhhdLG 9XQFVECXablhhor_-4K_khq1TRJt6rpRByS16lqoKjFl4H-fawhxW6U0wPjDVGAARuTXrnAq_bP-uHMagARK8IA3ioZXf_2QFTyzUVpZ00LWCkN8yFWg9SKwGQX-PkKotmfrIvZ_uCx-HsQhHx7nCVT1YO9GNTnalTgvc9CGlizx6_O_E79zTvwB5OXZkX MAvifDndna-uEYplQQPCJQg16fp4zu3KJx7O-p1hJjYndmmO

Just a light spray over both sides of the string bed after every session. Then, move all main strings so the silicone gets under where the strings lie. I usually spray the frame while the stringbed is sitting over a piece of cardboard.. so the cardboard absorbs any excess spray.

Regardless of the string type, after about a week, they should snap back into place. If they have a slight texture, they still snap back but don't always perfectly re-align (I've noticed this with the RIP Control). The RIP is the first textured string I've used in years. I think after a week of hitting and spraying, even the RIP strings will re-align themselves.

It works great on full natural gut and non-textured gut/poly hybrids - which is what I've used for the past few years.

WOW, the creativity of this man never seize to amaze.:)

Bud
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
WOW, the creativity of this man never seize to amaze.:)

Gotta keep those main strings sliding freely over the crosses to maintain maximum spin :)

Bud
02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Another great day hitting with this frame!

Everything just works :)

Think it's time to retire the APD's

Bergboy123
02-29-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm also thinking of switching from my APD's to the new PD. I'm on a short budget though, plus progressing through college, so I'm scared to go buy one yet. I'm enjoying this thread!

The reason that I'm wanting to switch is because with my APD's I feel like I'm getting to the point where I really want and need more pop on my groundstrokes, as well as my serve. I want to be able to ace people and hit winners easier, and I'm hoping the new PD will give me that little boost I need.

Bud
02-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm also thinking of switching from my APD's to the new PD. I'm on a short budget though, plus progressing through college, so I'm scared to go buy one yet. I'm enjoying this thread!

The reason that I'm wanting to switch is because with my APD's I feel like I'm getting to the point where I really want and need more pop on my groundstrokes, as well as my serve. I want to be able to ace people and hit winners easier, and I'm hoping the new PD will give me that little boost I need.

I'd suggest you give one a try, then. The tiny bit of extra pop on every shot is addictive :)

I always preferred the APD over the PD as it just seemed to work better with my game. I'd try a PD then go back to the APD and would feel the world was right again. However, this frame is different than past PD's. It feels so close to the APD with some more pop on every shot.

I'll most likely buy a second one within the next week and will string it with full natural gut to rule out any potential string effect from the RIP Control.

So far, no shoulder, wrist or elbow issues. Either they softened this frame a bit or the new Active Cortex is dampening it a bit more.

Bergboy123
02-29-2012, 09:35 PM
I'd suggest you give one a try, then. The tiny bit of extra pop on every shot is addictive :)

I always preferred the APD over the PD as it just seemed to work better with my game. I'd try a PD then go back to the APD and would feel the world was right again. However, this frame is different than past PD's. It feels so close to the APD with some more pop on every shot.

I'll most likely buy a second one within the next week and will string it with full natural gut to rule out any potential string effect from the RIP Control.

So far, no shoulder, wrist or elbow issues. Either they softened this frame a bit or the new Active Cortex is dampening it a bit more.

Bud that sounds great. This is encouraging to me to go ahead and buy one. I'll probably still demo first though

Power Player
02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Bud I'm going to grab a pd plus and throw rip control 16 gauge in there. How does the rip feel for you in it? I feel like it could be a perfect match since it will save my arm and still provide spin and control.

Bud
02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Bud I'm going to grab a pd plus and throw rip control 16 gauge in there. How does the rip feel for you in it? I feel like it could be a perfect match since it will save my arm and still provide spin and control.

It's been years since I've used it. It's softer than I recall and gives nice spin (I always spray the stringbed with silicone after every session). However, I can't tell if the muted feel of this frame is due to the frame characteristics or the RIP Control string.

I'll string up the next frame with natural gut so I can get a good feel for the frame characteristics apart from the string.

klementine79
02-29-2012, 10:28 PM
^ Bud... first of all.. How's it going?

2ndly, how do strings that don't have a tendency for movement react with the silicone spray treatment? I assume it would also help with the longevity of multis/syn.guts?

I use to be counter-productive at times, lightly sanding polys that didn't move. Didn't help spin but it did help in the power department as the strings ended up thinner.

Bud
02-29-2012, 11:20 PM
^ Bud... first of all.. How's it going?

2ndly, how do strings that don't have a tendency for movement react with the silicone spray treatment? I assume it would also help with the longevity of multis/syn.guts?

I use to be counter-productive at times, lightly sanding polys that didn't move. Didn't help spin but it did help in the power department as the strings ended up thinner.

It's great. Even the slightly textured RIP Control mains are now snapping right back after a week of playing and spraying :) They are very soft/mushy so it's taken some time for the silicone to do its thing.

After every session, I lightly spray both sides of the stringbed and move all mains to make sure they are skating on a thin layer of silicone. I also make sure all crosses are parallel. As the mains slide against the crosses and notch, the crosses will no longer move. Then as you continue spraying, the silicone makes its way into the notches in the mains.

My APD's are strung with natural gut that's been in them for months. If you know NG, it generally resists fluid movement (especially after wearing in a bit) and does not snap back into place. It's a struggle to constantly straighten the stringbed. With the silicone, the gut mains in my APD's snap back into place just like poly and require no straightening.

Power Player
03-01-2012, 06:55 AM
It's been years since I've used it. It's softer than I recall and gives nice spin (I always spray the stringbed with silicone after every session). However, I can't tell if the muted feel of this frame is due to the frame characteristics or the RIP Control string.

I'll string up the next frame with natural gut so I can get a good feel for the frame characteristics apart from the string.

Well I can tell you that the setup I demoed had synth gut and it was crisp, but still muted in a good way. A nice balance of both.

Also tried standard length with RPM blast and that had a nice muted but crisp feel as well..not nearly as crisp as the syn gut, but the racquet still had that pure drive feel to it.

Did you still have a little crispness to the frame? I think Rip is a great option for spin hitters who want to use a stiff frame like the PD.

Hominator
03-01-2012, 07:20 AM

Bud - did you experience arm pain with your APDs? Trying to gauge the arm-friendliness of this new PDGT. Thanks for your thoughts.

Yourtenniscoach
03-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Bud, give a pic of your new toy. I'm curious how it looks with leather on it.

Power Player
03-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Bud - did you experience arm pain with your APDs? Trying to gauge the arm-friendliness of this new PDGT. Thanks for your thoughts.

I will give you feedback on this the more I use mine as well.

Off the bat, I would suggest very soft poly or a multi like RIP.

No pain with full RPM blast in the demo, but I would not want a poly in there that was close to death..this is just me being safe though. I did not feel and discomfort.

Bud
03-01-2012, 03:30 PM

No pain with NG. Some arm tightness when using poly if I keep it in for more than a week.

Bud, give a pic of your new toy. I'm curious how it looks with leather on it.

I'll post one a bit later :)

bluetrain4
03-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Bud, the specs were pretty close to TW's posted specs?

There seems to be a considerable discrepancy between TW and some other sites as to the specs. 11.9 oz strung and 328 SW is a lot different than 11.6 oz strung and 315 SW.

Bud
03-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Bud, the specs were pretty close to TW's posted specs?

There seems to be a considerable discrepancy between TW and some other sites as to the specs. 11.9 oz strung and 328 SW is a lot different than 11.6 oz strung and 315 SW.

The specs of my frame were spot on with what is printed on the frame.

Frame specs (unstrung): 315g and 7-8 pts. HL.

Without any extra weight and strung (17g Head RIP Control), mine frame is 330g and 4-5 pts HL. (11.65 oz.). I then added 6g inside the buttcap and 4g at 3/9 for a total of 340g and about 7 pts. HL

Bud
03-02-2012, 12:54 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bdytcUtI0HA/T1CKnbIu93I/AAAAAAAAOwM/xGNqlrz-VzA/s800/P1080053.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zutN-ALZKSk/T1CKnJ5WGgI/AAAAAAAAOwE/0M4kYLa10hY/s800/P1080052.JPG

Rozroz
03-02-2012, 12:58 AM
looks beautiful.

Hominator
03-02-2012, 04:29 AM
I will give you feedback on this the more I use mine as well.

Off the bat, I would suggest very soft poly or a multi like RIP.

No pain with full RPM blast in the demo, but I would not want a poly in there that was close to death..this is just me being safe though. I did not feel and discomfort.

Cool, looking forward to it - thanks.

Hominator
03-02-2012, 04:32 AM
No pain with NG. Some arm tightness when using poly if I keep it in for more than a week.

I'll post one a bit later :)

Thanks, Bud. I just received one. Mine strung with a multi, dampener and Wilson Shock Shield grip comes in pretty heavy at 12 ounces, though the grip is pretty heavy.

Doubt that I'll switch from my Volkl X10 325, but it should be a fun hit!

Torres
03-02-2012, 05:36 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bdytcUtI0HA/T1CKnbIu93I/AAAAAAAAOwM/xGNqlrz-VzA/s800/P1080053.JPG

Nice looking stick.

Would look even better IMO if they replaced the white parts on the hoop and Babolat lettering with chrome effect paint.

Power Player
03-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Bud we have the same string color..I love the feel and look of it personally. I am just interested in seeing how long it lasts. I need it to last for me a week or so.

Arm friendly wise so far this racquet is pretty comfortable so far for being so stiff. I think the key is to avoid stiff polys and use softer strings.

I remember the last PDR being a total boom stick. This PD plus has delivered as well in power..so far I like it in stock form.

Do you guys know how much extra weight that Wilson grip adds to the frame and how much bulkier it makes the handle feel?

Hominator
03-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Bud we have the same string color..I love the feel and look of it personally. I am just interested in seeing how long it lasts. I need it to last for me a week or so.

Arm friendly wise so far this racquet is pretty comfortable so far for being so stiff. I think the key is to avoid stiff polys and use softer strings.

I remember the last PDR being a total boom stick. This PD plus has delivered as well in power..so far I like it in stock form.

Do you guys know how much extra weight that Wilson grip adds to the frame and how much bulkier it makes the handle feel?

I never weighed the Wilson grip, but it's pretty heavy - as heavy as leather. I think someone on this board weighed one and posted the weight - does 22 grams sound right? Anyway, it's in one of these threads...

The grip adds very slightly to the size - feels less than one overgrip more to me. The best thing about this grip is that despite the gel strip that runs along the length of the grip, the grip still feels quite firm, not mushy, and it retains good bevel definition.

I think I'm going to string this frame with some pre-stretched Wilson natural gut 17 at around 53/50. That, along with the new grip, should make it just about as arm-friendly as it can be.

Power Player
03-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Awesome..thanks Hom. I feel like that grip could be a really nice option to help with stiffer sticks, but of course I'd need to counterweight and do all kinds of creepy math to retain the original balance.

I prefer 5 pts HL or less.

Also feeling this racquet at stock right now (315 grams). That could change, but the + has so much power and I love that I can control it with racquet head speed.

Bud
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Awesome..thanks Hom. I feel like that grip could be a really nice option to help with stiffer sticks, but of course I'd need to counterweight and do all kinds of creepy math to retain the original balance.

I prefer 5 pts HL or less.

Also feeling this racquet at stock right now (315 grams). That could change, but the + has so much power and I love that I can control it with racquet head speed.

Math isn't creepy :) :shock:

Post a pic of your frame PP

Thanks, Bud. I just received one. Mine strung with a multi, dampener and Wilson Shock Shield grip comes in pretty heavy at 12 ounces, though the grip is pretty heavy.

Doubt that I'll switch from my Volkl X10 325, but it should be a fun hit!

Let us all know what you think when you've had a chance to hit a few times with it.

Power Player
03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
ok will do when i get home.

and math still creeps me out.

:)

Bud
03-02-2012, 12:03 PM
ok will do when i get home.

and math still creeps me out.

:)

I could do frame customization with math but always use trial and error.

I'll cut lead and just lay it on the frame or on the handle right at the butt cap while the frame is on the balance board. Using this method, you can quickly tune weight and balance.

Gah I want one of these bad boys so bad! I'm trying to debate whether I want PDR or PDR+. I know if I demo them, it's likely I'll hit better with the standard length, only because I haven't had time to adjust to the extended. But if given the proper time, I'm wondering if I'd enjoy the plus better, if only for the extra length on the handle for my two hander.

I'd demo the standard. If you like it then go +

The Wreck
03-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Gah I want one of these bad boys so bad! I'm trying to debate whether I want PDR or PDR+. I know if I demo them, it's likely I'll hit better with the standard length, only because I haven't had time to adjust to the extended. But if given the proper time, I'm wondering if I'd enjoy the plus better, if only for the extra length on the handle for my two hander.

Power Player
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM

Go plus..oh man is it awesome on the 2 hander. But the PDR+ is going to be pretty heavy so make sure you are keeping the ball in play and getting the racquet head speed for that spin to drop the ball in.

I just use the regular PD+ and it hits a big ball at 315 grams strung. You may want to try that if you like the PDR+ because you can always make it heavier.

Bud, you are right..its not that bad. What I really mean is that I hate dialing up the specs all over again. If you put a grip on that is 10 grams heavier, then the balance has changed and now you have to lead the head to get the balance back..that could end up being too heavy..etc.

The Wreck
03-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Go plus..oh man is it awesome on the 2 hander. But the PDR+ is going to be pretty heavy so make sure you are keeping the ball in play and getting the racquet head speed for that spin to drop the ball in.

I just use the regular PD+ and it hits a big ball at 315 grams strung. You may want to try that if you like the PDR+ because you can always make it heavier.

Bud, you are right..its not that bad. What I really mean is that I hate dialing up the specs all over again. If you put a grip on that is 10 grams heavier, then the balance has changed and now you have to lead the head to get the balance back..that could end up being too heavy..etc.

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the PDR only because it's already in the exact spec range, weight wise, that I'd like to go. But the flexibility of adding to the PD is something to consider.

I guess my biggest concern is that I'm already long (6'2") and not the greatest mover and don't want the plus to really exaggerate that by jamming me all the time. But the only way to find out is to go and give em a demo, I guess.

Power Player
03-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah..I personally adapted instantly and it was so easy I was sold on the racquet after 25 minutes. It's that good.

If you can get the PDR, PDR + and PD plus that would be an awesome demo.

I think the PDR+ is a heck of a lot of stick, but it is a howitzer.

Topaz
03-02-2012, 01:34 PM
My demo arrives Tuesday!

Power Player
03-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Sorry my iPad camera bloaws. Doesn't really do the pj justice. I usually don't care about pjs, but this one is just awesome.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii577/guitarbassdrums/81cb6d68.jpg

Murrayalmagrofan
03-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Head Rip Control 17 at 55/48
Have you been happy with this string set-up & tension? Are there any adjustments you might make or try next?

Power Player
03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Have you been happy with this string set-up & tension? Are there any adjustments you might make or try next?

Wow that's low..I have mine at 59 and it hits big.

LeeD
03-02-2012, 07:08 PM
PowerPlayer...
I'm thinking of augmenting my game, play with a Aero500 now, does the PDR play much bigger than my racket?

Power Player
03-02-2012, 09:59 PM
PowerPlayer...
I'm thinking of augmenting my game, play with a Aero500 now, does the PDR play much bigger than my racket?

Well lee I am using the regular pd+ and I think it probably has more power. If you like extended sticks you will love it. If you like standard your racquet is going to be pretty similar.

The pdr is going to end up swinging at 12 ozs if you put on an overgrip, so while it hits really big, it will be a little bit of a weight jump, which is why I like the regulars better.

Bud
03-02-2012, 11:31 PM

I'm pretty happy with it but look forward to trying the frame with all NG :)

Nostradamus
03-03-2012, 03:26 AM
I too feel no arm pain after about 6 hours of play. this is an improvement over the older versions. I am 90% sure i will buy this racket now.

Torres
03-03-2012, 04:05 AM
I never weighed the Wilson grip, but it's pretty heavy - as heavy as leather. I think someone on this board weighed one and posted the weight - does 22 grams sound right? Anyway, it's in one of these threads...

Are you talking about Shock Shield? If so, it weighs 28g (untrimmed) straight from the packet.

Hominator
03-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Are you talking about Shock Shield? If so, it weighs 28g (untrimmed) straight from the packet.

That's it! Thanks.

PrinceMoron
03-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Bought 4 - one each of Pdrgt/Pdrgt+ /pdgt2012/pdgt2012 plus

All strung at 52 in blast and now going to have fun comparing.

2012s look great. The artwork is not all flush, you can feel a slight edge at 9.00, and you can get you nail under the top of the cortex.

Funny but I think the old bright blue takes your eye off the ball, I seem to focus better with the 2012s.

2012 plus seems to come through a little faster than the old
Model. Oh, and the QC seems good as the weight and balance seem spot on. All a bit general, but not a shot played in anger yet.

Tension - I always start as low as seems possible and then work my way up in increments of 2.

Last thing, I ordered these a month ago and it took until the last day in Feb for them to get to the store.

klementine79
03-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't know if it's the pj... or maybe improvements but I stopped by my local pro shop this morning....

..and there was a box FILLED with the previous version of this frame. I counted 16 frames.

People seem to have traded their old PD's in for some store credit and purchased the new one in bunches. They were out of the new ones in every grip size except a 1/4 and 5/8's.

Ashanti
03-03-2012, 11:29 AM
alot of people are saying the 2012 pdr and pd gives you lots of spin what does this mean for the apd cause its main thing was spin now the pdr gives you that power and a few extra mph on serve

Power Player
03-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Don't know if it's the pj... or maybe improvements but I stopped by my local pro shop this morning....

..and there was a box FILLED with the previous version of this frame. I counted 16 frames.

People seem to have traded their old PD's in for some store credit and purchased the new one in bunches. They were out of the new ones in every grip size except a 1/4 and 5/8's.

Well the new pj is one of the greatest I have seen. But I had a pure drive for a little while last year and it just was not nearly as impressive to me as this one in terms of feel and comfort. So I would say its a combo of new look and the racquet is just improved to me a lot from the prior version.

Hominator
03-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Hit with the Roddick earlier today. Wow, I don't know what they did to the frame, but it's so much more arm friendly than the previous version. Absolutely rock solid with plenty of plow through, too. Mine is strung with natural gut at 55/52.

Is the new regular Pure Drive equally arm friendly as this new Roddick? Thanks.

Power Player
03-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Hit with the Roddick earlier today. Wow, I don't know what they did to the frame, but it's so much more arm friendly than the previous version. Absolutely rock solid with plenty of plow through, too. Mine is strung with natural gut at 55/52.

I have not hit with the roddick. But the new pure drives I have are very comfortable. None of that crazy hollow tuning fork vibration if you mishit a ball. The feel is also way better to me. Not so woofery. I am playing the plus at stock weight right now and it is holding up to big hitters just fine.

prjacobs
03-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Nice to hear. I know you've had a long relationship with TM and volkl frames and played with many other frames that I like. I look forward to trying it. I also use an all gut setup.
No gut, no glory :). At least for me....

Hominator
03-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I have not hit with the roddick. But the new pure drives I have are very comfortable. None of that crazy hollow tuning fork vibration if you mishit a ball. The feel is also way better to me. Not so woofery. I am playing the plus at stock weight right now and it is holding up to big hitters just fine.

I'll have to check out the regular version, too. I'll hopefully answer my own question later this week :)

Hominator
03-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Nice to hear. I know you've had a long relationship with TM and volkl frames and played with many other frames that I like. I look forward to trying it. I also use an all gut setup.
No gut, no glory :). At least for me....

I still love my Volkl X10 325s. If the X10 is an extension of my arm, however, the 2012 PDRGT is my arm with a rocket launcher surgically attached to it.

The power really is addictive and the racquet is a fun hit.

Bergboy123
03-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey, just want to ask here about serves with this stick. I just got one to demo and played for about 5 hours with it today.

Firstly, since it's a demo racket, I think the strings are about the bottom of the barrel but I don't know strings well so that's just a hunch.

Groundies, I love! Had to adjust, but still love them.

Serving though, I had a lot of trouble with. At first I was serving great, but when I went to play some sets it went out the door. I couldn't get as much spin as with my APD, and I double faulted at least 12ish times in 2 sets.

I have also started to develop a blister on my right palm; the buttcap seems to be very uncomfortable but I don't have any overgrip on it so I'm not too worried. It's the serving that bothers me. Anyone else deal with this? Could it just be the strings, and making the adjustment from APD over?

Rjtennis
03-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I always thought that when i switch to a new racquet it's because i can play
Better with a new frame. Otherwise, why change?

It hurts more than it helps to switch sticks all the time imo. Plus, the difference between this years PD and last years is probably nothing more than a paint job. If you have something you play well with, keep it. However, I understand that it is fun to have the latest paint job.

sixone90
03-04-2012, 06:26 PM
It hurts more than it helps to switch sticks all the time imo. Plus, the difference between this years PD and last years is probably nothing more than a paint job. If you have something you play well with, keep it. However, I understand that it is fun to have the latest paint job.

The difference between this year's PD and last year's PD is actually much more different than many people think. If you open up the butt cap of both of them, you will see that last year's PD used a twin tube construction where as this year they have moved to a single tube construction which in theory should make it feel quite different

Power Player
03-04-2012, 06:29 PM
The difference between this year's PD and last year's PD is actually much more different than many people think. If you open up the butt cap of both of them, you will see that last year's PD used a twin tube construction where as this year they have moved to a single tube construction which in theory should make it feel quite different

I read drakulies posts on this and he knows his stuff, but I have it agree that this new pure drive to me is a lot better in terms of feel and comfort.

Maybe the paint job is so amazing that I am blinded by it and worship it as a god stick.

It could be all the cortex I have been on as well.

PrinceMoron
03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Serving though, I had a lot of trouble with. At first I was serving great, but when I went to play some sets it went out the door. I couldn't get as much spin as with my APD, and I double faulted at least 12ish times in 2 sets.

I have also started to develop a blister on my right palm; the buttcap seems to be very uncomfortable but I don't have any overgrip on it so I'm not too worried. It's the serving that bothers me. Anyone else deal with this? Could it just be the strings, and making the adjustment from APD over?

The harder you hit, the more the ball seems to bite down into the court. I try and focus on where the ball is going to bounce up and away towards rather than worrying about keeping the ball inside the service box.

12 double faults sounds really high for this racket, even if you are just trying to hit the ball as hard as you possibly can. I think I am hitting fewer doubles with this version than the old swirly, and as serving as hard. The same accuracy as last years model but with more pace.

I did keep some of the old versions, but the 2012 is really much more comfortable so I am not sure I even want to pick up the old versions anymore. I put 7g on the handle and the same on the hoop, thinking that would be the minimum I would need, but I might end up playing at stock specs, I am that happy with frame out of the box.

klementine79
03-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Is anybody adding weight to this frame?

If so, how's the high flex and extra grams feeling?

I realize most play the PD stock and rightfully so but I got a buddy of mine who's used to a racquet in the 12oz+ range and is currently looking to demo some frames.

TIA

Power Player
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
You talking PDR or PD?

The PDR will be around 12.1 after overgrip and dampener. Most people adding lead in this case seem to prefer 3 and 9 to keep the swingweight from ballooning too high.

Regular Pure Drives are like a pro stock frame..you can do about whatever you want.

PD+ seems to be set up for a little lead at 12 and that could do it.

klementine79
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
^Thanks PP.

Talkin' 'bout the PD, not the PDR. This is the same guy that's been hittin' with the MgRad (customized) and is looking to step-up to a more powerful frame but would like to keep the specs he's used to in terms of weight and balance, which I believe were somewhere around 12.4oz and 5pts HL.

Power Player
03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
PD is perfect to customize..he can match it to the stick he has now if he wants.

The PDs take lead real well so really the world is his oyster with this racquet. The + hits so big in stock form that you don't even need lead to be honest.but if you did, a little at 12 is going to work out quite well.

sixone90
03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I read drakulies posts on this and he knows his stuff, but I have it agree that this new pure drive to me is a lot better in terms of feel and comfort.

Maybe the paint job is so amazing that I am blinded by it and worship it as a god stick.

It could be all the cortex I have been on as well.

I haven't seen that post, mind posting a link to it? I only realised the other day when I popped open the butt cap to inject some silicone into it.

Bud
03-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Two more doubles sessions, yesterday and today, with this frame. I can't see myself going back to my APD's now. This frame just seems right in the zone with me.

In 7-8 outings with this frame, since Feb 24, I've not had a poor hitting session.

Think I'll be picking up a second frame within the next few days.

Power Player
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I haven't seen that post, mind posting a link to it? I only realised the other day when I popped open the butt cap to inject some silicone into it.

I can't find it but search drakulies recent posts.

Bud, I agree. I thought the APd was awesome, but these new pure drives are sensational.

PrinceMoron
03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Just tried with a vibration dampener - a Wilson "W" - and it is amazing, just all sweet spot. Brand new Slaz Hi Vis balls and they feel like a ping pong ball.

That was really unexpected. BH slice is faster and more weight than I thought possible. I need to get some big hitters on the other side of the net to see if this racket has any limitations.

This is a BIG improvement on last year's model. I am very surprised on day 3.

bluetrain4
03-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I just received mine today. Very excited to get out and hit with it today or tomorrow. I used the previous PDR last summer, really out of nowhere. Had never used a Babolat and did it just to switch it up. Didn't feel that great, but the results were outstanding. It cracked near the end of the summer, and I had no plans to go back to Babolat. But, I got the itch once these new PDs and PDRs were announced and I read some good stuff about them.

Power Player
03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I just received mine today. Very excited to get out and hit with it today or tomorrow. I used the previous PDR last summer, really out of nowhere. Had never used a Babolat and did it just to switch it up. Didn't feel that great, but the results were outstanding. It cracked near the end of the summer, and I had no plans to go back to Babolat. But, I got the itch once these new PDs and PDRs were announced and I read some good stuff about them.

Congrats, and please post what you think about the 2012 feel after you play.

To me, it is improved.

sixone90
03-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I can't find it but search drakulies recent posts.

I have and there's no mention of anything about a Pure Drive

The Wreck
03-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I have and there's no mention of anything about a Pure Drive

He mentioned in a post, I believe, that the 2012 was exactly the same as previous version, just with a new paint job. Most people who have used them though seem to disagree.

Bud
03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
He mentioned in a post, I believe, that the 2012 was exactly the same as previous version, just with a new paint job. Most people who have used them though seem to disagree.

Definitely not the same frame. Even the Cortex system has changed :)

Someone else mentioned the single tube in the handle, as well.

Bud
03-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I broke the RIP Control 17 earlier tonight and will now string the frame up with natural gut for Friday doubles! At $10 per set I was reluctant to cut the RC out prematurely :)

As a result, I ended up playing an entire set with my backup original APD with full gut. It allowed me to compare the frames back to back, objectively and during match play. This made the decision easier to switch frames to the slightly modified Roddick 2012.

2nd frame is on order and should be in hand Friday :)

- -

Still no arm, wrist or shoulder issues with this new frame. The 2009 PDR, I had to sell after 2-3 hitting sessions. That frame was an arm buster.

courtking
03-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I hit with the PDR 2012 about 3 hrs total and my elbow, wrist feel the pain already.. I switched back to my normak KPS88 395g and it's fine.. so PDR 2012 is a good racket but it will be an arm breaker.. watch out..

Bud
03-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I hit with the PDR 2012 about 3 hrs total and my elbow, wrist feel the pain already.. I switched back to my normak KPS88 395g and it's fine.. so PDR 2012 is a good racket but it will be an arm breaker.. watch out..

What type of string?

courtking
03-07-2012, 08:42 PM
What type of string?

I used hybrid VS Gut main 45lb, and RPM cross at 40lb..

Power Player
03-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I broke the RIP Control 17 earlier tonight and will now string the frame up with natural gut for Friday doubles! At $10 per set I was reluctant to cut the RC out prematurely :)

As a result, I ended up playing an entire set with my backup original APD with full gut. It allowed me to compare the frames back to back, objectively and during match play. This made the decision easier to switch frames to the slightly modified Roddick 2012.

2nd frame is on order and should be in hand Friday :)

- -

Still no arm, wrist or shoulder issues with this new frame. The 2009 PDR, I had to sell after 2-3 hitting sessions. That frame was an arm buster.

What tension full gut? This is a goat setup. I do feel it a little with full poly, but with 16 gauge rip, the racquet feels rather soft to me. I think the magic tension in the pd + for non poly is right around 57. I have had rip at 59 and 53 so far.

Bud
03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
I used hybrid VS Gut main 45lb, and RPM cross at 40lb..

I'd never put poly in this frame. It's the stiffest of all the Babolat frames and works best with a full bed of a very soft, arm-friendly string.

richsox
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
In my experience, I have found that a multi or natural gut VS Touch is best at 57lbs in a Pure Drive. I use VS Touch 16 guage, and have trialled multi and gut as low between 54 to 60 - 57 works for me

Bud
03-08-2012, 01:06 AM
In my experience, I have found that a multi or natural gut VS Touch is best at 57lbs in a Pure Drive. I use VS Touch 16 guage, and have trialled multi and gut as low between 54 to 60 - 57 works for me

Just finish stringing mine with NG... 60# mains and 50# crosses :)

Can't wait to give it a hit, Friday.

Power Player
03-08-2012, 05:59 AM

Weird, I found the same thing..lol. Guess we are onto something.

bluetrain4
03-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Everyone's talking about stringing up the PDR at tensions which, to me, are very low. I'm going to have to try it.

Maybe because I come from a generation who used simply syn gut or multi in high school and college, and anything under 60 was always "low". Obviously, my standards have changed somwehat with poly, but I still think of 50-55 as low, and see 56-59 as average. When I had the previous version of the PDR, I had it strung with RPM at 58-60, knowing that the tension would drop quickly. It was slightly harsh, but not that bad.

Now I'm reading all these posts about low 50s and 40s and am sort of intrigued. My immediate reaction is to assume such a low tension would have the same effect as with syn gut and some multis - springy, loss of control, mushy (which I loathe). I know that's probably not true with poly, but it's hard to shift the tension paradigm which has existed in my head for so long.

I'm interested to see how the string bed behaves and how the sweet spot is affected if I "go low" with the proper string.

I just received my PDR on Tuesday and went with a wholly unoriginal set-up - RPM at 58 again. When I restring or get a second PDR, I really want to try something, which for me, would be a new horizon. As much as I'm a racquet junkie, I'm not a string junkie. I'll find something that works okay, and I never get much motivation to try something else.

Power Player
03-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Damn..RPM at 58 is high in a PDR. That could come back to bite you and you may become a string junkie...lol.

Really, strings are more important to mess with once you figure what kind of stick you like.

The thing with low tensions that people don't tell you is that you need to have very good technique in terms of lifting the ball and hitting with spin or you will be inconsistent.

I come from 60#s syn gut back in the day as well. I prefer full poly now under 52#s. Took me a little while to adjust to, but the benefits are more free power and spin. Your serves will be bigger and your arm will be healthier....especially in the PDR.

PrinceMoron
03-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Played for 4 hours today, and absolutely no arm/elbow/wrist issues at all. Feel like I haven't played at all.

RPM at 52 and a second frame at 55.

Bud
03-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Think I strung it too tightly at 60/50 so gotta break in the strings (or step on the stringbed) :) .. I'm not getting the movement that I like with the mains. Even pulling them after spraying with silicone, they are very tight but snap back nicely. Next time, I'll go 55/50 or 50/45.

It's more comfortable with the gut versus the RIP Control.

bluetrain4
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
I don't know what they did, but this PDR is remarkably not harsh at all, at least IMO.

I have mine strung with RPM 16 at 58 lbs and I've now played six sets with it and really have had no problems. Really great frame. Had problems controlling my forehand at first, but have settled in. It's a "full speed" frame. It almost seems like the faster you swing, the more control. Decent, but not a great frame for control through deceleration, which can be frustrating in certain circumstances.

Bmr
03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about this racquet and I think i'm going to demo the new Pure Drive line. I've demoed the Aero in the past and I do not like the way it hits compared to my current Speedport Black and EXO3 Black.

I hit with a friends Pure Drive from last year and it played pretty well for me.

Anyone using the Pure Drive line that is coming from Prince? I prefer to have a crisper feeling springbed and don't really like muted..but a lot of that could be on the strings.

Bud
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Gut is breaking in nicely with a little help from my feet (not friends) :grin:

Frame played completely different, tonight. Much more power and spin from the stringbed.

NG is the way to go in this frame :)

Power Player
03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
I am very jealous. I have 1 half set of gut and msv hex I am going to try in there. I think that full gut may not last me long enough to be cost effective, but there is no doubt that it must feel fantastic.

Rip control 16 is my #1 so far, but I have some prince premier attack 16 in black that is going in one stick for a comparison against rip.

Power Player
03-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about this racquet and I think i'm going to demo the new Pure Drive line. I've demoed the Aero in the past and I do not like the way it hits compared to my current Speedport Black and EXO3 Black.

I hit with a friends Pure Drive from last year and it played pretty well for me.

Anyone using the Pure Drive line that is coming from Prince? I prefer to have a crisper feeling springbed and don't really like muted..but a lot of that could be on the strings.

I haven't hit with a prince that is not very muted to be honest. I find the new black drives to be rather crisp. The feel is truly on another level to me.

Bud
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
I am very jealous. I have 1 half set of gut and msv hex I am going to try in there. I think that full gut may not last me long enough to be cost effective, but there is no doubt that it must feel fantastic.

Rip control 16 is my #1 so far, but I have some prince premier attack 16 in black that is going in one stick for a comparison against rip.

I just use the cheap stuff.. Global Gut for $15 per set :)

Hominator
03-13-2012, 07:51 AM
I'll have to check out the regular version, too. I'll hopefully answer my own question later this week :)

After hitting with the regular version over the weekend with college players, I can confirm that the non-Roddick is just as arm-friendly as the Roddick version. I have a sensitive arm, but there was no sign of TE at all. Like my Roddick, I have mine strung with natural gut.

The regular version is also very torsionally stable, like my Volkl X10s. I think I prefer the regular version to the Roddick. Will likely put my Roddick up for sale this week in the classifieds.

jibinhe
03-13-2012, 08:11 AM
After hitting with the regular version over the weekend with college players, I can confirm that the non-Roddick is just as arm-friendly as the Roddick version. I have a sensitive arm, but there was no sign of TE at all. Like my Roddick, I have mine strung with natural gut.

The regular version is also very torsionally stable, like my Volkl X10s. I think I prefer the regular version to the Roddick. Will likely put my Roddick up for sale this week in the classifieds.

Hominator, could you compare Volkl X8 300 to the 2012 Roddick? Specially the comfort level? Thanks

Power Player
03-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Try the + as well if you can.

IMO, it is the best of the bunch..higher SW..more weight on the shot, and really no negatives..I dont get jammed up or anything, and the adjustment was super easy.

Hominator
03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Hominator, could you compare Volkl X8 300 to the 2012 Roddick? Specially the comfort level? Thanks

They're similar, but the Pure Drive felt a bit more maneuverable and a little more comfortable. Keep in mind, however, that my Pure Drive is strung with natural gut, so it is especially soft. The Pure Drive's shock absorbing system feels very much like the X8.

Hominator
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Try the + as well if you can.

IMO, it is the best of the bunch..higher SW..more weight on the shot, and really no negatives..I dont get jammed up or anything, and the adjustment was super easy.

I totally would if I hadn't already gotten the regular version. As you know, I've played with the PK 7G, so I suspect that I'd like the extended Pure Drive.

Power Player
03-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I totally would if I hadn't already gotten the regular version. As you know, I've played with the PK 7G, so I suspect that I'd like the extended Pure Drive.

Yes..damn that is too bad, I think you would love it...but the standard still had that magic to it. Just not as heavy shots, but some lead can fix that.

jibinhe
03-14-2012, 02:57 AM
They're similar, but the Pure Drive felt a bit more maneuverable and a little more comfortable. Keep in mind, however, that my Pure Drive is strung with natural gut, so it is especially soft. The Pure Drive's shock absorbing system feels very much like the X8.

Really? Pure Drive Roddick more comfortable than X8? Natural gut helps I guess. Any chance you will strung PDR with poly?
Anyway, since they are similar, not improvement, I guess not worth to change then, thanks.

Hominator
03-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Really? Pure Drive Roddick more comfortable than X8? Natural gut helps I guess. Any chance you will strung PDR with poly?
Anyway, since they are similar, not improvement, I guess not worth to change then, thanks.

Even though I love how poly plays, I don't think I would risk hurting my arm by putting poly in my Pure Drive. Maybe at a low tension such as 37 lbs., but even then, I'm not sure i would do it as it would get awfully expensive restringing the poly every couple of weeks or so.

Since I don't break strings often, natural gut is a pretty good value for me. Plus, it plays great and holds tension until it breaks.

Power Player
03-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Natural gut in a Pure Drive..I am honestly not sure if there could be a better tennis experience.

I must do this at some point. I am just scared I would get addicted and I break strings a little too much for it to be cost effective,

Hominator
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Natural gut in a Pure Drive..I am honestly not sure if there could be a better tennis experience.

I must do this at some point. I am just scared I would get addicted and I break strings a little too much for it to be cost effective,

I'd give it a go. Maybe go with 16g Wilson Natural Gut instead of 17g. And yes, 57 lbs., does seem to be the perfect tension!

Power Player
03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
I deifnitley will give it a go, but right now I am just dialing in my main setup and will roll with that.

Final battle is RIP control 16 (my choice) vs Prince Premier Attack 16.

Bmr
03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
So the Pure Drive line sucks if you are using fullbed poly? I'd really like to see if anyone has used a Luxilon/Tourna poly string in there and see how it feels. When I demo'd my friend's Pure Drive he had gut in there. There's no way i'm gonna shell out the bucks for gut! That stuff gets way too addictive.

Power Player
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
No the Pure Drive line is awesome with poly..you just have to be careful since it is a very stiff combo.

bluetrain4
03-14-2012, 10:46 AM
So the Pure Drive line sucks if you are using fullbed poly? I'd really like to see if anyone has used a Luxilon/Tourna poly string in there and see how it feels. When I demo'd my friend's Pure Drive he had gut in there. There's no way i'm gonna shell out the bucks for gut! That stuff gets way too addictive.

I use the new 2012 PDR with full poly - RPM. Have had no problems whatsoever. It does feel noticeably less harsh than the previous version. But, as always, it depends on the person.

Bmr
03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Well, right now i'm using the Speedblack Black with the port holes. I believe it has a stiffness rating of 71 and i've been full poly on that for awhile with no arm issues. The PD and PDR look like they are 71-72 stiffness, but string holes and not ports, which help dampen a lot more of the shock to the arm in my opinion. I guess there's only one way to find out...

Avadia
03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't know how you guys are getting that the PDR is comfortable. I demoed one today after reading this thread, and it was stiff as a board. Hurt my shoulder, and every hit felt like hitting with a hollow, stiff board. I am sure the strings on the demo (Wilson Stamina) didn't help much, but still, this is a far cry from a comfortable frame. I can't imagine playing this racquet with full poly. Ouch!

For some perspective, I am used to playing heavy, very flexible players frames, like the Wilson BLX 90. Honestly, I was a little surprised I wasn't really getting that much power on my shots with the PDR either. After a set, I switched to a Prince OG OS with BHBR, and was hitting much more powerful and spinny shots. This racquet obviously isn't for me. Not surprising, I guess. I had the original PDR in the plus version and never could gel with that frame either.

Bud
03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Just picked up my second frame and they gave me a free set of RPM Blast :) I think I may string up the blast with some natural gut mains at like 45/40 (M/C).

QC on these frames is tight! 314g/7.5 pts HL (unstrung). First frame was 315g and just over 7 pts HL.

OTMPut
03-15-2012, 03:50 AM
i took the plunge and bought PDR+.
with babolat leather grip and VS touch black (@50 lbs), it weighs 338gms.

i will wrap tournagrip on top. have a match tom. lets see how it goes. will have my backup handy.

Bud
03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
i took the plunge and bought PDR+.
with babolat leather grip and VS touch black (@50 lbs), it weighs 338gms.

i will wrap tournagrip on top. have a match tom. lets see how it goes. will have my backup handy.

Let us know what you think of it :)

- - -

I'm debating about whether to string up the new frame with gut/poly or full gut.

Macro80
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
The PDR is one of the greatest sticks to ever walk this earth!

Avadia
03-15-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't know how you guys are getting that the PDR is comfortable. I demoed one today after reading this thread, and it was stiff as a board. Hurt my shoulder, and every hit felt like hitting with a hollow, stiff board.

Ok, I owe the PDR an apology. When I returned the racquet today, I figured out why it seemed so stiff and low powered. I had asked for a PDR, but they actually gave me a PD. Not being used to the new Babolats, I didn't notice. Being used to 12+ oz. frames with some flex, this stick was just way too stiff and boardy to me, and I couldn't generate any power with it.

When I figured out they gave me the wrong stick, I made them exchange it and actually got to hit with the real PDR tonight (regular, not plus). Big difference! Not near as jarring and boardy feeling. More mass to contact the ball with. Even with the same crappy stamina strings, it felt much better than the PD. Unfortunately, we got rained out after thirty minutes so still need more time with it. Maybe I will get to hit tomorrow. But first impressions are much better with this racquet than with the PD. Great serving frame, I noticed.

Faithfulfather
03-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Bought me a 2012 PDR today. Hitting with it tomorrow. I'll let you know how my elbow feels. Strung it up with gut mains and scorpion crosses 60/55. We will see.

Avadia
03-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Hit with the PDR again today and enjoyed it. Great serving racquet. Lots of power for groundstrokes. But by the end of my match, my elbow was hurting. I am afraid this racquet is still too stiff for me. I think I am going to try the Juice Pro and see if it is similar but a little more comfortable.

The Wreck
03-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Got the PDR+ demo today, and man is it a thing to behold. Had no issues adjusting to the additional length on the groundies, and everything I hit was just HUGE. With the little extra length and longer handle, I was just ripping backhands with ease, something I've been missing lately. Wasn't totally adjusted on the serve, but when it went in, there was a definite increase in pace.

My only concern comes down to long term comfort. I never really had arm problems with my APDGT, but have been feeling some twinges in my arm lately, and of course the PDR+, while not incredibly harsh, didn't leave me pain free.

It's pretty obvious to me that there isn't a racket out there that can even compare with the power and spin of the PDR, and it's so solid feeling too. The question for me comes down to comfort and control, and I'm really conflicted.

Power Player
03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
I get more control with the regular pd plus because it still hits big with 3 grams of lead at 12 and I get more racquet head speed.

I'd also recommend a softer string because if you do that, the stick feels better and your arm will be fine.

The Wreck
03-17-2012, 05:57 PM
I didn't actually have any control issues today. Was pretty spot on. I just don't know what to expect when I get a bit tired or lazy and maybe start spraying shots everywhere. Though I shouldn't get tired or lazy to begin with, so maybe that's a moot point.

Racket had a cheap synthetic gut in there. I think most of the discomfort I felt was due to hitting a bunch of different rackets today while demoing, so I can't attribute it 100% to the PDR+.

My other issue is more ego, I guess. I always want to move to more of a players frame, but keep getting sucked in to these tweener, cannon rackets... But that's not a terrible thing, I guess.

Bud
04-08-2012, 01:59 PM
6 weeks in and still loving this frame :)

Anyone else make the switch yet?

I have an original APD weighted and balanced to the same specs as this frame. The 2012 PDR feels so similar but with a bit of extra pop on all shots.

I'm looking forward to the 2012 APD, now ;)

adso1973
04-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi, last weeks I've been playing with a PDR+ cortex and after enjoying it just bought a PDR+ looking forward to hit whit it on thursday and write my comments.

Strung it with tour bite + vanquish 56/54.

Cheers

Bergboy123
04-08-2012, 07:12 PM
After reading this thread, (and many others) I went ahead and got 2 PD Roddicks. I have to say I LOVE them in comparison to my APD that I used to have. Haven't added any lead yet.

Strings though, I"m not so thrilled with. In all honesty I don't know exactly what strings I have. My coach always strings all my rackets (I pay him to do it.) I think he said something like MSV? I know it's some polly string. It's red... Anybody know what this is, and whether or not it's a good string?

I want to try gut strings out, but as I said I don't know anything about strings really. Suggestions?

Oh and again about the racket, I haven't found myself serving all that much better/faster yet. I was hoping that it was just because of the transition to a heavier frame, but it's been several weeks now so I don't know why I'm not enjoying the same pop everybody else gets with this frame :(

Groundstrokes are immensely better without a doubt. I have more trouble controlling my drop shots though, which I really dislike since I had grooved my dropshot down to pretty darn good if I do say so myself with my APD. This racket just doesn't seem to get me the same precise touch for flat out winner drop shots that I achieved before.

Bud
04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Two months with the 2012 PDR and no issues. I've now permanently switched and no longer use my original APD (or feel the need to continue searching for backups - as they are increasingly difficult to locate).

This frame for me, is literally perfection. It does everything as well as any frame I've used in the past (including all APD's and PD's).

Zero arm pain (with full natural gut).

Pulled bridge grommets and bridge is foam-filled. Pulled upper grommets and no foam. Will pull the lower head grommets in the future to look. The foam may just be within the bridge.

Power Player
04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I also bought a pdr and added it to my collection today. I am surprised at how light it swings. It also seems to be more comfortable than the standard pure drive plus. It will be a very tough decision between these 2 sticks, but the pdr absolutely crushes the ball even with the lighter swing weight.

Bud
04-26-2012, 10:25 PM
I also bought a pdr and added it to my collection today. I am surprised at how light it swings. It also seems to be more comfortable than the standard pure drive plus. It will be a very tough decision between these 2 sticks, but the pdr absolutely crushes the ball even with the lighter swing weight.

I have mine slightly modified. I added 6g inside the buttcap and 4g at 3/9. It's 340g total (versus 330g stock) and a couple more points HL versus stock.

prjacobs
04-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Two months with the 2012 PDR and no issues. I've now permanently switched and no longer use my original APD (or feel the need to continue searching for backups - as they are increasingly difficult to locate).

This frame for me, is literally perfection. It does everything as well as any frame I've used in the past (including all APD's and PD's).

Zero arm pain (with full natural gut).

Pulled bridge grommets and bridge is foam-filled. Pulled upper grommets and no foam. Will pull the lower head grommets in the future to look. The foam may just be within the bridge.

Hi Bud,
I'm also a big fan of full gut in my frames and I wanted to ask you how the comfort of the PDR 2012 compares to the lighter babolat frames like the APD and the PD. I developed shoulder pain with my dunlop 4D 500 tour, even with gut. The dunlop weighs around 11.2 ounces.
Thanks,
Paul

Power Player
04-27-2012, 07:24 AM
I have my just slightly modified. I added 6g inside the buttcap and 4g at 3/9. It's 340g total (versus 330g stock) and a couple more points HL versus stock.

Bud do you use an overgrip or dampener? Mine came dead on at 315 grams. With tour bite mains/nvy crosses, tourna XL grip and square babo dampener it is 339.

I want to add lead the same way you did. 3 and 9. 4 4 inch strips. Mine will be 343 after. I am assuming my tourna basically will be the counter weight, so I will not have to add any more to the handle.

Bud
04-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi Bud,
I'm also a big fan of full gut in my frames and I wanted to ask you how the comfort of the PDR 2012 compares to the lighter babolat frames like the APD and the PD. I developed shoulder pain with my dunlop 4D 500 tour, even with gut. The dunlop weighs around 11.2 ounces.
Thanks,
Paul

I always end up spec'ing my frames to right around 340g (12 oz.) and 7-8 pts HL (even my old APD's and PD's). I never play with the stock Babolat frames. They always feel too light, swinging them.

Bud do you use an overgrip or dampener? Mine came dead on at 315 grams. With tour bite mains/nvy crosses, tourna XL grip and square babo dampener it is 339.

I want to add lead the same way you did. 3 and 9. 4 4 inch strips. Mine will be 343 after. I am assuming my tourna basically will be the counter weight, so I will not have to add any more to the handle.

Bare TW thin leather, no overgrip, and a rubber band dampener ;)

Power Player
04-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Nice..mine is now 344 with a little over 4 grams of lead at 3 and 9. I like my balance around 4-5 pts hl at this weight.

Power Player
05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Bud I have gone gut mains and Im not going back. Gut is the way to go especially after it breaks in a little..wow.

I definitely prefer the PDR now and prefer it to the standard +.

How long is your gut lasting so far?

I am really tempted to go full gut, but I hit with a lot of top, can break strings semi fast and am loving the spin and control I get from the copoly crosses.

Bud
05-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Bud I have gone gut mains and Im not going back. Gut is the way to go especially after it breaks in a little..wow.

I definitely prefer the PDR now and prefer it to the standard +.

How long is your gut lasting so far?

I am really tempted to go full gut, but I hit with a lot of top, can break strings semi fast and am loving the spin and control I get from the copoly crosses.

The gut (15g Global Gut) has been in since I purchased the frame (still on the first string job). It's fraying all over but it's so sweet. I also spray the stringbed after every hitting session with a light coat of silicone spray. With the spray, you won't need to straightening the strings.