PDA

View Full Version : Updating my O3 Red (original) - looking for demo suggestions

rcy
02-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Been playing with a Prince O3 Red (original) for about the past year. Currently, strung with Prince Beast XP 16 at 57 lbs. (well, for a couple of weeks anyway - it seems to loosen up pretty soon after stringing) I like the manuverability and power, but the control and racquet stability on a hard serve or passing shot can be a problem. I realize at 10.5 oz strung that it may be unrealistic to expect anything else. I did have a bit of arm/shoulder issue with it at the beginning from vibration on off center hits (mostly overheads near the tip of the racquet), but some improvement in technique and a Gamma worm dampener seem to have eliminated comfort as a problem. I had no issue with the older technology back when I got the O3 Red as I was just starting back up after 10 years off from tennis. Now that I'm playing 3 times a week and improving (3.5) I'm considering an "upgrade".

I'm looking for something with comparable power to the O3 Red, better control, more stable on off center hits with better touch/feel. As I'm going to be 50 this year, comfort is important too. Hope to stay around or under 11 oz for weight. Head size probably no smaller than 98 sq in. When I play singles, I tend to stay on the baseline, but do play doubles about half the time, so I spend some time at net. Eastern forehand grip, Continental for everything else. I hit a two-handed backhand.

Looking for some suggestions for demos.

Deuces Wild
02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
I've really enjoyed my Dunlop Bio 300. It's excellent for a 3.5.

pheonix6579
02-23-2012, 08:08 AM
I would give the Blade team a shot. I haven't tried the BLX version, but was quite impressed with the K Factor version.

jrxl
02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Been playing with a Prince O3 Red (original) for about the past year. Currently, strung with Prince Beast XP 16 at 57 lbs. (well, for a couple of weeks anyway - it seems to loosen up pretty soon after stringing) I like the manuverability and power, but the control and racquet stability on a hard serve or passing shot can be a problem. I realize at 10.5 oz strung that it may be unrealistic to expect anything else. I did have a bit of arm/shoulder issue with it at the beginning from vibration on off center hits (mostly overheads near the tip of the racquet), but some improvement in technique and a Gamma worm dampener seem to have eliminated comfort as a problem. I had no issue with the older technology back when I got the O3 Red as I was just starting back up after 10 years off from tennis. Now that I'm playing 3 times a week and improving (3.5) I'm considering an "upgrade".

I'm looking for something with comparable power to the O3 Red, better control, more stable on off center hits with better touch/feel. As I'm going to be 50 this year, comfort is important too. Hope to stay around or under 11 oz for weight. Head size probably no smaller than 98 sq in. When I play singles, I tend to stay on the baseline, but do play doubles about half the time, so I spend some time at net. Eastern forehand grip, Continental for everything else. I hit a two-handed backhand.

Looking for some suggestions for demos.

I used o3 reds last year and really liked them. One sugestion I would make is during your demo process take your Red and add a leather grip plus lead tape under the grip. I added just shy of an ounce this way, and it made the racquet much more stable. FWIW, I recently retired my red for the POG OS, which has been great in every way.

rcy
02-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - all three are racquets I had not considered. If I use TW, I think you can demo 4 at a time.