PDA

View Full Version : Stringing machine recommendation

drkplayer122
02-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I was wondering if anyone can give me insight on the pros and cons of a lockout vs. CP stringers. I am thinking about getting upgrading from my dropweight machine.
Thanks in advance

sstchur
02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone can give me insight on the pros and cons of a lockout vs. CP stringers. I am thinking about getting upgrading from my dropweight machine.
Thanks in advance

The debate would no doubt be endless. There are many threads you will find on just this topic if you search a bit.

Briefly:

Lockout produces a softer string bed because as soon as reference tension is hit, the tensioner is no longer pulling and the string is beginning to relax.

Constant pull continues to pull so as to maintain reference tension, even after that string has relaxed. Of course, the faster you clamp off with the CP machine, the more like a lock out it will be.

The general "ballpark" rule of thumb is that if you are going from CP to lockout you would bump the tension by about 10%. This is just a ballpark and depends significantly on the type of string you're using and its elasticity.

I've done some experiments with softer multifilaments that suggest that double pulled (e.g. pulling tension, releasing and pulling tension again) is roughly equivalent to increasing tension by about 10%.

To put it another way:

55 lock out, double pulled seems roughly equivalent to 60 lock out. Thus, one might take this to mean that if you want the CP equivalent on your lock out machine, you could either increase the tension by ~10%, OR double pull. I am not saying this definitively mind you -- it was merely an experiment I did. And whether or not either of these techniques is really an "accurate translation" from LO to CP is up for debate.

Whether LO is better than CP or CP is better than LO, I cannot answer, and as I said, you will find fans on either side.

I use a lock out right now, and I like it. I'm planning to upgrade to an electronic at some point soon, but not necessarily because I want CP, but because I want the convenience of electronic. I also suspect that an electronic (even if its CP setting were turned off so that it stopped pulling as soon as ref tension were hit) would pull more "evenly" than I have the ability to crank evenly. That's just a guess though.

Hope this helps
-sstchur

Davis Cup Fan
02-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Also just to add your dropweight right now is a constant pull. So you may have to adjust if you get a lockout.

drkplayer122
02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
So I would only buy the tension head and screw it on my dropweight?

sstchur
02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
So I would only buy the tension head and screw it on my dropweight?

If what you have now is a drop weight, then you have a constant pull machine.

If you wanted to upgrade, your choices would be to upgrade to

A. a table top crank (lock out)
B. an upright crank (lock out)
C. a table top electronic (constant pull, usually)
D. an upright electronic (constant pull, usually)

Some electronics actually aren't constant pull, so that's something you'll want to be sure of, if constant pull is important to you.

I don't think there is any simply way to keep the machine you have and "upgrade" it to a crank.

If you went with any of the options A, B, C, or D, you would be getting something on which you could probably string faster, and have an overall smoother experience that you're having now.

The quality of the string job would not necessarily change though. It could, but it doesn't have to -- equal quality can be achieve with all of the machines. But as you go higher up, you get a machine with more bells and whistles, and one that is (presumably) easier and more enjoyable to use.

drkplayer122
02-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the reply SS. I was thinking about getting a electric tabletop CP machine. Since it still takes me awhile to string with my dropweight. Do you know any electic CP machines that are of decent price around 400-550?

sstchur
02-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the reply SS. I was thinking about getting a electric tabletop CP machine. Since it still takes me awhile to string with my dropweight. Do you know any electic CP machines that are of decent price around 400-550?

In that price range, I think you're going to be forced to look for something used. I don't think you'll find mind for $400 - $550 that is electronic. Eagnas may have some, but word on the street is that their machines are sorta hit or miss in terms of quality. I've never used one. But lots of other folks on here have. Some have had great experiences and have gotten a lot of bang for their buck. Others have had bad experiences, including machine that don't work or have problems, and a rather difficult time getting the company to support the machine.

But if you're set on an electronic, it might your only option.