PDA

View Full Version : Racket Length?

thienzsch
02-23-2012, 11:57 AM
How much effect does it have on the specs of a racket if you increase
the length by 1/4 - 1/2inches.
I was wondering because most of the extended versions on the market are only 1/2 inch longer

movdqa
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Sometimes the increase in length compensates for a much larger headsize as the sweetspot usually moves down on oversize models so the extra 1/4 or 1/2 inch restores the sweetspot to something similar to a smaller-headed racquet.

That said a quarter inch (other things being equal) does make a difference. I think that my ideal length is 27 3/4 but those are hard to find. I have three of those but am now using 27.6 inch frames and I plan to use those for the next five years.

On specs, it will increase static weight because the weight on the end is further out.

There are aftermarket companies that can extend racquets out 3/4s of an inch. They use some kind of hard foam that's injected into the hairpin and sticks out and they attach an extender and then put a pallet on top of that. I have seen the results of this before (there was a thread on it here) but I haven't priced out the work.

Other suggest methods are pushing the pallets down or getting OEM pallets that are longer, and then filling in the space with balsa wood layers. I think that 1/2 inch is the limit for that approach.

scotus
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I have heard that with every 1/4 inch of extension you increase the swing weight by around 10 points. (Of course, this varies acc to the base weight of your racquet).

thienzsch
02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Perfect thanks.

So how would you increase a BLX Blade 98

scotus
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Perfect thanks.

So how would you increase a BLX Blade 98

You want a real good job?

Send it to RPNY and pay them $110.

Do you want to do it yourself? Search for the tutorial here written by a poster named 2handsbothsides.

scotus
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Here I found the thread for you:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308163&highlight=extend+handle+inch