PDA

View Full Version : Help with lead tape

Muse
02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Say I have a Head Youtek IG Radical Pro. I want to add a little weight in the handle to make it more head light and increase the overall mass because it's a bit light in stock form. How many grams of lead tape do I need to wrap around the handle to get it 6 points headlight?

zerojoshua
02-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Say I have a Head Youtek IG Radical Pro. I want to add a little weight in the handle to make it more head light and increase the overall mass because it's a bit light in stock form. How many grams of lead tape do I need to wrap around the handle to get it 6 points headlight?

9 grams would be my guess, leaving the racquet 11.8 oz (aprox) and 6pt hl.

ChicagoJack
02-23-2012, 11:45 PM
- There's a gazillion ways to to this, depending upon how far up or down the handle, or inside the handle you place the lead. I picked the least labor intensive placement location for you.

- If you space the lead out evenly between the butt end and the 4" inch mark you'd need 12 grams. That's 24" of 1/2 inch lead, or 48" of 1/4 inch lead. You can lay in out in strips or wind it around the grip.

- I'm giving you four inches to work with, to keep the layers small, respecting your bevels and the grip size.

- Muse's guess is pretty good, I think you could do it with 9g but you'd have to concentrate it in a smaller space, closer to the buttcap.

ChicagoJack
02-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Dupe post, browser cache gone wacky

Muse
02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
- There's a gazillion ways to to this, depending upon how far up or down the handle, or inside the handle you place the lead. I picked the least labor intensive placement location for you.

- If you space the lead out evenly between the butt end and the 4" inch mark you'd need 12 grams. That's 24" of 1/2 inch lead, or 48" of 1/4 inch lead. You can lay in out in strips or wind it around the grip.

- I'm giving you four inches to work with, to keep the layers small, respecting your bevels and the grip size.

- Muse's guess is pretty good, I think you could do it with 9g but you'd have to concentrate it in a smaller space, closer to the buttcap.

Awesome, thank you. I'll probably get the babolat lead tape since it's twice as heavy, it'll be easier to wrap 12 inches rather than 24.

ChicagoJack
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Awesome, thank you. I'll probably get the babolat lead tape since it's twice as heavy, it'll be easier to wrap 12 inches rather than 24.

Hey, no problem hope it works out for you. I didnt know about the babolat tape, gonna check that out. Thanks for that tip!

Marcus
02-24-2012, 10:39 AM
The right Leather grip would do the trick nicely I'd say....

zerojoshua
02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
The right Leather grip would do the trick nicely I'd say....

This would be the first thing to try.....

Muse
02-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Interesting. It already comes with something called a "synthetic" leather grip. How much more does a real leather grip weigh over this synthetic one. (for the record, I hate leather grips and would wrap it with tournagrip)

zerojoshua
02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=62687

Vasuri
02-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Wilson / Head leather grips weight 22 - 23 grams. Typical synthetic grips weight about 16 - 18 grams. So changing to a leather grip will add 4 - 7 grams of weight to the handle. That will make the racquet only 1 - 1.5 pts more headlight.

Use a balance board or simply the edge of the table to measure the racquet's balance point. 6 pts headlight means the balance point should be 32.4 cms from the buttcap. Once you have changed to leather grip the easiest way to get exact 6 pts headlight balance is to add weight (leadtape, blue tack) under the buttcap via the trapdoor in head racquets. You will probably need another 5 - 7 grams of weight added.