PDA

View Full Version : Youtek IG vs the original Youteks

Lawn Tennis
02-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Can anyone tell a real difference between the Youtek IG models and the Youtek original models? In particular, I wanted to upgrade from the Youtek Radical Pro to the IG version. Demoing only takes it so far unless you cut out the strings to try your set up.

edman9898
02-24-2012, 07:28 AM
With the Prestige Pro the only difference to me is the IG is a tad softer. Its not enough for me to upgrade.

BDAZ
02-24-2012, 07:31 AM
well, of all the updates, the new radical pro (IG) is the biggest departure from its predecessor. completely different frame and specs from the one it's replacing. 98 vs. 100 inch. (not normally a huge difference, but with these two frames, it is). different weight, more flexible (i think). of all of the new radicals and prestiges, this one definitely requires a demo more than the others.

Deuces Wild
02-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Is it a true 100 or is it smaller than advertised like other Heads?

WilsonPlayer101
02-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Is it a true 100 or is it smaller than advertised like other Heads?

I can't answer that but funny enough I was using a 95 sq inch Wilson for years. I was using a 1993 or so whenever I got it, Pro Staff 6.6 Tour Class Jim Courier until 2010. I thought that when I switched to a 98 Sq In Head MG Radical MP that it would be a bigger sized head but someone here told me it's actually the same size as the Wilson 95 sq in. I put them up to each other and that was so true. Why is a Wilson 95 and a Head 98 sq inch head the same, I don't know.

BDAZ
02-24-2012, 08:57 AM
regardless of whether or not the youtek rad pro is a true 100, the same would be true for the ig rad pro being a true 98. i've read here also that the head 98s are more like a true 95. the head size between the ig and past iterations of the rad pro is significant. the feel of the ig is much different, too. the upper hoop is really flexible. i'm having a tough time with mine. i can't quite get it to work for me. the first stringjob i had was with head fxp tour, but that string is just too soft for this flexible frame. i'm on my second setup, which is wilson ultimate duo (lux bb alu mains and nxt 16 crosses). this certainly stiffened up the stringbed, which is what i wanted, but maybe just a bit too much. i do have it strung at the max recommended tension of 57, because this is a pretty powerful racquet and i'd be afraid of lack of control. so, i think i have to find something that is stiffer than fxp tour, but softer than ult. duo. i wonder how much of a difference putting the nxt in the mains would make as opposed to the crosses? soften up the stringbed, i bet. i often use full nxt 17, but somehow feel this wouldn't feel good in this racquet. anyone out there who uses this racquet and likes it have a string suggestion? another possibility would be signum pro tornado in the mains instead of alu, as i've found it to be softer. apologies to the OP... i didn't mean to hijack this thread. in response to you original question, Yes, you can feel a significant difference between the youtek radical pro and the new ig radical pro. completely different frames. definitely demo.

Yaz
02-24-2012, 09:06 AM
I can't answer that but funny enough I was using a 95 sq inch Wilson for years. I was using a 1993 or so whenever I got it, Pro Staff 6.6 Tour Class Jim Courier until 2010. I thought that when I switched to a 98 Sq In Head MG Radical MP that it would be a bigger sized head but someone here told me it's actually the same size as the Wilson 95 sq in. I put them up to each other and that was so true. Why is a Wilson 95 and a Head 98 sq inch head the same, I don't know.

I think I read somewhere in these forums that Wilson measures the inside of the hoop and Head measures the outside?

Deuces Wild
02-24-2012, 09:09 AM
I think I read somewhere in these forums that Wilson measures the inside of the hoop and Head measures the outside?

I don't think that's true. The width of the frame x circumference of the hoop is definitely more than 3 sq inches.

ryushen21
02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
IG Prestige line is significantly better than the YT Prestige. Better feel and touch and just a sheer pleasure to hit with them.

Regarding head size, at least with the Prestige line they are smaller than advertized. Mid = 89.5, MP = 95

WilsonPlayer101
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM

That would make sense because if you put the two racquets together you can see how that type of measuring would make sense.

tymmh789
02-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Ya I actually liked the old youteks better than the new ones w/ the addition of the innegra. The youteks felt much crisper and more solid IMO. By the way I'm talking about prestige pro's so this may not be of any help.

The price is also a factor if you pay for your racquets. I picked up 2 of the youtek PP's for $200 on **** rather than the $400 for the IG's.

djnemo
02-24-2012, 07:20 PM
my comparison of the original YTRP and the IG version-
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=411665

Lawn Tennis
02-25-2012, 06:18 AM
my comparison of the original YTRP and the IG version-
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=411665

much appreciated!