PDA

View Full Version : Pacific X Fast Pro review

Snaab
02-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Here are my impressions after Round 1:
FIRST off, the TW spec page is wrong, this is NOT a std. 27" length racket. The frame lists it at 69.5cm (not 68.5cm), so this is a slightly extended racket at about 27.25". For me this is perfect, I'd like a little more leverage than the std. length Pure Drive, but find the Pure Drive Plus too unwieldly.
While I didn't notice any No Tolerance markings, the weight is spot on 11.2 ounces strung to the TW spec and the target of 300 grams unstrung.
The specs would lead you to believe this is a PD clone. I'd go so far as to say that with the addition of the Speed Zone channels at 3&9 on the frame, and the lack of Cortex plastic above the handle, in hand, it feels exactly like a PD.
Now for the notable differences to the PD. From the first hit, the comfort and feel of the X Fast Pro (XFP hereafter) is evident. I've got mine strung with Isospeed Professional at 58 lbs. The frame doesn't feel quite as stiff as the PD (the 68 vs. 70 RA seems accurate) but don't get me wrong, it is plenty firm. Also, the XFP doesn't feel as hollow as the PD. Most seem to think that Basalt fibres can make for a more muted hit, considering the stiffness and relative lightness of the frame, it works great in this racket.
Here is my breakdown by stroke:
Serve: serves like a PD, easy access to pace and/or spin.
Groundstrokes: easy to create topspin or slice. My biggest issue with the PD was the occassional miss of an easy midcourt ball or approach shot. IMO this stick has a little bit tighter control, less propensity to hit the occassional "rocket launcher". For reference, I am a fairly flat ball striker that slices the backhand alot. Decent plow through although I think some will get improved performance with a bit of lead.
Volleys: on all shots this frame is very manueverable. I did feel that it felt a bit light on some volleys. The impact feel and overall touch is good. It reminded me a bit of the Dunlop AG 4D 300 on volleys, good - it just needs a bit more mass.
Return of Serve: this was probably the biggest surprise, even in stock form it handled the big serves very nicely. Good stability and feel.
Overall, for this is a GREAT option in the PD category.
I will probably add a leather grip to add a touch of weight.
Round 2 to follow..........

scotus
02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the timely review.

Much appreciated.

Hankenstein
02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the review! Very interesting to see your thoughts of the frame. Im looking forward for Rd 2 =)

A_Instead
02-24-2012, 04:49 PM
yes, keep the info coming. If it is 27.25, I am liking the specs.

fibonacci888
02-25-2012, 05:17 AM
I've just been playing for about 2 hours with racket and i'm really impressed.

I'm coming from a Prince exo3 red and wanted more weight in a frame.

Setup: main string pacific space power at 25kg
cross string pacific poly at 24kg

Serves: what a rocketlauncher is the racket. I had to adjust my serve to get it in, but after the adjustment is was great. Lots of pace and on second easy spin.

Groundstrokes: i struggeld with my forehand in the beginning and had to put more spin in the ball to get it in. After doing so i could set the pace in the rally. Biggest improvement was my backhand. I could easy gain dept and pace.

Volleys: this racket has easy acces to volleys. It takes some getting used to the feel for stopvolleys. The frame is fast to get into place and still feel pretty solid.

Returns: This is the best feature of this racket. You are fast and solid on the returns with easy dept in your balls.

I'm holding myself back getting this racket this instant. The new pure drive and the technifibre tflash 300 are on the list. This is a very serious option though!

BC1
02-25-2012, 11:18 AM
yes, keep the info coming. If it is 27.25, I am liking the specs.

Anyone have a confirmation on the specs? Specifically the length? This is an intriguing option in the pd class. Looks great on paper. It will be interesting to see how it compares.

TW, any chance of you reviewing this racquet?

insiderman
02-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Go to the Pacific website! Clearly stating that the racquet is 695mm - so it is 27.4" long. Perfect for me~!

BC1
02-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Go to the Pacific website! Clearly stating that the racquet is 695mm - so it is 27.4" long. Perfect for me~!

Thanks.

A Instead, i think this is your next racquet test!!
I'm interested as well, but loving the pd again for the moment. Would love to try this one though.

fibonacci888
02-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Anyone have a confirmation on the specs? Specifically the length? This is an intriguing option in the pd class. Looks great on paper. It will be interesting to see how it compares.

TW, any chance of you reviewing this racquet?

yes please do, curious to their opinions!

srvnvly
02-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Have you hit with either the Wilson Steam or Head IG Radical? If so, will you compare to either or both? Is the listed swing weight of 310 accurate?

fibonacci888
02-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Have you hit with either the Wilson Steam or Head IG Radical? If so, will you compare to either or both? Is the listed swing weight of 310 accurate?
Steam no, radical yes. The radical is way more flexibel. i played with the MP and the 18-20 string patern doens't fit my playing style.

Snaab
02-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Rd 2 later this week. FYI: I forgot to point out that this racket does NOT utilize Pacific's (Fischer's) 2 piece pallet system with 2 screws and no butt cap. This racket has the conventional molded handle with a stapled butt cap. [I did replace the very nice Pacific Masters synthetic grip with leather.] Also, it has a gloss paint finish. IMO cosmetics are great. Rd 2 coming up.....

li0scc0
03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
This is a far better racquet than the Pure Drive. Has the power and solid nature of the Pure Drive, with MUCH better feel and is arm friendly. If this had the name 'Babolat' or 'Wilson' this would be a top 3 selling stick.

ArliHawk
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I love the cosmetics of this racquet. Black and orange are always a nice combo.

Would this be a good racquet for a 3.5 player coming from an APDGT?

li0scc0
03-09-2012, 06:41 AM
I love the cosmetics of this racquet. Black and orange are always a nice combo.

Would this be a good racquet for a 3.5 player coming from an APDGT?

I would think so, definitely. It would provide more control and better feel than the APDGT, as well as being more arm friendly, while still allowing the same power and spin.

A_Instead
03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Any more feedback to report?

jackcrawford
03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
yes, keep the info coming. If it is 27.25, I am liking the specs.It is 27.36, feels like 27.5. I didn't like it, less power and less stability than the Pure Drive +. I liked the XForce, it is 27 in, though.

li0scc0
03-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes, it is the typical Fischer (now Pacific) FT or NT extended length which is 27.4".

RollTrackTake
04-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Any further reviews/thoughts about this racquet? Looks like a good tweener option.

JackB1
05-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Any further reviews/thoughts about this racquet? Looks like a good tweener option.

Roll....I too am quite intrigued by the specs of this racquet.
Here is a nice review from Stringers World...

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DTHGm9MwcBkM&sa=U&ei=xcuzT7H2AojA8ATAzanuCA&ved=0CBkQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNGgwQDR8CnqAdV6U7N1DP9fmiQdlA

Its too bad this racquet suffers from lack of exposure. I was hoping when Pacific took over from Fischer they would promote their brand more, but it seems like just more of the same anonymity that was before. I am tempted to get a demo of this one. A "more comfortable Pure Drive" sounds good to me!

RollTrackTake
05-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Roll....I too am quite intrigued by the specs of this racquet.
Here is a nice review from Stringers World...

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DTHGm9MwcBkM&sa=U&ei=xcuzT7H2AojA8ATAzanuCA&ved=0CBkQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNGgwQDR8CnqAdV6U7N1DP9fmiQdlA

Its too bad this racquet suffers from lack of exposure. I was hoping when Pacific took over from Fischer they would promote their brand more, but it seems like just more of the same anonymity that was before. I am tempted to get a demo of this one. A "more comfortable Pure Drive" sounds good to me!

I got a TW demo on the way. I justified it to myself by needing the extra charge on my order of strings for the free 2-day shipping. This X-Fast Pro is like a rare exotic fruit I have to take a bite of. By the end of the summer though only one tweener will be left standing in my bag(much like the Highlander).
Pro Open, Warrior, PD 2012, F100 & this Pacific are duking it out!
There should really be a comprehensive battle of the Tweeners thread IMO.

RollTrackTake
05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
^^if this racquet matches the review JackB1 posted & the OP's initial review I may be contacting TW about that trade in program!

JackB1
05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I got a TW demo on the way. I justified it to myself by needing the extra charge on my order of strings for the free 2-day shipping. This X-Fast Pro is like a rare exotic fruit I have to take a bite of. By the end of the summer though only one tweener will be left standing in my bag(much like the Highlander).
Pro Open, Warrior, PD 2012, F100 & this Pacific are duking it out!
There should really be a comprehensive battle of the Tweeners thread IMO.

looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the XFast.

gamerx52986
05-16-2012, 07:05 PM
My local shop had the X-Fast in stock so I took the demo out last week. Currently playing with the Rebel 98 but I have been flirting with the idea of getting a more actual "tweener" frame. I have tried the Warrior,Formula 100, 2012 Pure Drive and now the X-Fast. I can safely say that my Rebels most likely will be getting sold and that Pacific will be getting my money. The frame had power on tap for me but it was controllable power. I really didnt notice its extended length either. Not sure if its the length or racquet itself but I had some extra heat on my serve. Played really well from all areas of the court and the frame felt comfortable as I had no pains during or after playing with it.

JackB1
05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
My local shop had the X-Fast in stock so I took the demo out last week. Currently playing with the Rebel 98 but I have been flirting with the idea of getting a more actual "tweener" frame. I have tried the Warrior,Formula 100, 2012 Pure Drive and now the X-Fast. I can safely say that my Rebels most likely will be getting sold and that Pacific will be getting my money. The frame had power on tap for me but it was controllable power. I really didnt notice its extended length either. Not sure if its the length or racquet itself but I had some extra heat on my serve. Played really well from all areas of the court and the frame felt comfortable as I had no pains during or after playing with it.

The XFP is more of a "pleener" (players/tweener). I also tried all the same racquets as you and preferred the Warrior....then the Rebel98...then the PD12...then the Form100. I really like the Rebel98 when you're "on", but sometimes the sweetspot seems a little small, but when you hit it dead center, it feels awesome. Could you compare the XFP to some of those others you tried? Mostly the Warrior & Rebel? I am curious what you didn't like about the Warrior compared to the Rebel? I would guess the XFP would be most like the PD12 and Warrior?

gamerx52986
05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Jack, you pretty much summed it up for me in regards to the Rebel 98, when my game is on it is a blast to play with. Power on tap and all the control I need. However when my game is just a little off, things are not as good. I like the forgiveness I get with a tweener that seems to benefit me whether my game is on or not. Now of the frames I took out for a demo I could easily play a league match with either the Warrior or XFP and not have any reservations of doing so. I played quite well with both but for me at least, I played better with the XFP. Serves were harder and more consistent and most other strokes were equal or slightly better. The only area I felt that the Warrior did better for me was volleying and I attribute that to my needing to adjust to the extra length on the XFP. I liked the Pure Drive and played decently with it but its stiffness was always on my mind. If I had played a lot better with it than the other frames I would just buy it and string with gut. However I just played better with both the Warrior and XFP. The Formula 100 for some reason just did not work for me. I played terrible with it and it went in my bag rather quickly.

JMcQ
05-18-2012, 01:23 PM
This frame is really intriguing. I'm currently doing an extensive demo with the Organix 10 but if the XFP has feel AND power, especially since I primarily play doubles, I should give it a shot.

For those who have hit the XFP, how does the "feel" compare to the player's frames?

RollTrackTake
05-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Just finishing up a week with the X Fast Pro. Really a good racquet. For me it played a lot different than other tweener racquets I've tried. TW has a power listing of medium to high but to me it was medium if not low-medium. It looks to be strung with a generic synthetic gut a few lbs over mid tension(this could explain the power??) The first thing that stood out to me was the feel. Never played with a Fischer/Pacific before but this racquet has a distinct feel to it. Crisp and responsive but not at all harsh. Reminds me of my BLX Pro Open (both frames use basalt) but more refined. Swingweight feels heavier than the PD 2012 about the same as the Warrior & Pro Open. Average sweet spot. Not as big or forgiving as the Warrior. Not as explosive as the black drive. If you miss high in the stringbed you will get a really weak response. Plow through is decent. On par with the others in its class. Didn't try modding it with lead though that may work wonders. Maneuverability was above average. I have no doubts that I could use this racquet with success equal to any other. I do really like the feel & feedback it gives. The extra length didn't seem to be a huge plus or minus. It really didn't do enough to warrant a purchase or switch. I may demo again in 2 months time to see if it sways me.
It seems more comparable to a Rebel 98 than the power tweener bunch.
As always these views are based on MY experience as a 4.0 player playing on hard courts.

Serves 7/10 - great spin/kick on par with other tweeners there. Power is not on the level of PD, Pro Open, Warrior. If the power was lacking with Syn gut that is not encouraging for putting a Poly in.

Groundstrokes 7/10 - more control than other tweeners listed earlier but it comes at the expense of free power. However, if you hit the sweet spot the power is there. The racquet gives a great thwap when struck correctly. Early set-up and long smooth stroke reward you. On short defensive strokes, better hit the sweet spot or else! Slices were up there with the best I've experienced (POG OS)!!

Volleys - 8/10. Did everything I asked in this department. The precision was there & I never felt a lack of stability at net. *disclaimer* I did not get to hit with
hard hitters. Good maneuverability.

Returns - 8/10. Again the control aspect shined here. Also again, the power didn't wow me. Would be interesting to see how it would've responded to a 90-100 mph serve.

After spending some time with this racquet I walk away WANTING to spend more time with it to see if I can increase the power, sweet spot & plow with lead and some different string combos. If i didn't have a few Pro Opens & Warrior laying around I would purchase one.