PDA

View Full Version : Demo Group Summary - Coming from a Yonex RDS 002 Tour user

blipblop
02-24-2012, 12:42 PM
So I've been demoing some rackets lately, and I'm looking for another stick. I'm a 4.5 currently using RDS 002 Tours stock with Lux BB ALU Rough 16L mains and WeissCannon SS 17 crosses (both @54lbs). I'm especially looking to replicate the RDS 002's solid feel, stability, precise mass distribution, and the medium stiffness.

A quick run-down of what I've tried so far:

Dunlop Biomimetic 200 - Nice weight, balance, and feels great through the air. Nice old-school feel, and very concentrated mass distribution. By this I mean the racket "feels small" when swinging. It's hard to describe. Reminds me of a Wilson k90, for example. This one ended up being too low powered for me though. If the string pattern weren't so dense, and/or if it was a little stiffer, I might consider it more. Decent looks, good build quality, very control oriented.

Dunlop Biomimetic 200 lite - Similar feel and concentrated club-like mass as the non-lite, but too light for me. More open string pattern is a plus for me, but still a little too flexy. The headshape is also slightly more teardrop-shaped compared to the non-lite, which I didn't like. I could see this one working for me, but it would take some customization and a longer adjustment period.

Volkl Power Bridge 10 mid - Decent feel, tiny head and thin (but rounded) beam. I really wanted to like this one, but the headshape is too different from what I am used to. Less flexy than the Dunlops, but still flexy. Pretty solid feel for such a thin beam; I noticed no vibration dampener was needed with it. I would have a lot of mishits with this guy, but probably would hit good 1handed backhands. Great looks and build quality.

Volkl Organix 10 325g - Again, I really wanted to like one of the Volkls, and the specs of this are right up my alley, but something felt off about it. Feedback from shots didn't feel "pure" or "organic(x)" even. I wouldn't quite say they are "tinny" or hollow, but definitely "muted" and not as solid-feeling as the rest of this demo group. Mass distribution felt too cloud-like and not concentrated (as opposed to the Dunlops above). It also peeved me that the beam, while thin in the normal direction, was really thick when looking head-on at the racket face. Good stiffness and best-looking one though.

ProKennex Black Ace (Mid and Midplus) - Mid and Midplus are basically the same except headsize. Too flexy for me, and build quality seems suspect (paint chips all over the demo). They remind me of Yonex RD-7's. Old-school, and pretty solid feel. Good mass distribution. The mid is too low-powered and demanding for me. The midplus seems decent, but nothing really stands out about it. Nice color scheme, though.

Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT - This guy is the winner so far (and they are on sale!). Mass, balance, string pattern, headsize, SW... all what I am used to. Stiffness is right in the sweet spot of not being too flexy but not too stiff. Feels very solid, up there with my RDS 002 Tours, even if a little "mushy" at times. Personally I like this type of low-frequency vibration. Mass distribution could be more centralized, but still good. Beam is a the thickest of the demo group, but also the boxiest. Only downside so far is it feels less aerodynamic through the air than the rest, probably due to the bigger beam.

At this point I'm pretty set on the PSTGT's. They will be the easiest transition from the RDS 002 Tours, which I still love to death.

Hidious
02-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Very interesting impressions blipblop! I have a question: if you had to choose the Bio 200 and the Black Ace 98 exclusively, which one would be your choice and why?

Thanks in advance!

minitraveller
02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice write-up! I just recently switched to the Pure Storm family as well. I was debating between the PS Tour GT and slightly customized PS GT. I decided to go with the customized PS instead. For me, I was more used to the slightly more even balance of the non-Tour version, as well as just a slightly lighter racket overall after the lead. But, I love the way both of them feel and the plow through, especially on my 1 hand backhands for some reason, is amazing! Congrats!

Torres
02-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Out of curiosity why are you moving away from the 002s if you like them so much?

And no Prestige Pro, 6.1 or AS Tour in that playtest? The 6.1 is a more a cohensive racquet than all of them in my view.

blipblop
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Nice write-up! I just recently switched to the Pure Storm family as well. I was debating between the PS Tour GT and slightly customized PS GT. I decided to go with the customized PS instead. For me, I was more used to the slightly more even balance of the non-Tour version, as well as just a slightly lighter racket overall after the lead. But, I love the way both of them feel and the plow through, especially on my 1 hand backhands for some reason, is amazing! Congrats!

Hmm that's a tough choice, neither are a stick I would be ashamed to wield on a daily basis. Despite the fact that it would take longer for me to adjust to the Bio 200 (coming from RD-7's and RDS 002 Tours), AND despite the fact that more shots were landing short vs the Black Ace 98, I think I would take the Bio 200 in the end.

With the Biomimetic 200, I really like how it swings, and it has a better build quality. And by this I don't mean the color scheme and design, I mean it has higher quality paint, seems less fragile. The ProKennex is not a toy by any means, but it's something I consider.

Also, one shot that was noticeably better with the Dunlop was 1-handed backhands. My confidence on that side is usually spotty, but with the Bio 200 I felt like I could hit like Tommy Haas.

That said, both demos came strung at mid-tension with a Multifil (NXT?). Perhaps with my normal poly/poly hybrid strings I could give more insight. Happy hitting!

blipblop
02-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Forgot to mention Torres, what I would pick above both the Bio 200 and the Black Ace 98 is the Bio 200 Lite with some weight added. Maybe a leather grip and some 4g lead at 3 and 9. If not for the PSTGT, this is probably what I would be buying. I really dislike the neon green accents they added though lol.

sargeinaz
02-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Check out the vcore 95D, any Wilson blx 6.1 95 and the c10 pro. I personally like both of those more than the pure storms (not that the storms are bad though). If you dont feel like demoing new sticks, then happy hitting and thanks for the review.

Side note - actually you should hunt down some more 002 tours if you still love them. Put up an ad in the wanted section.

corners
02-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Side note - actually you should hunt down some more 002 tours if you still love them. Put up an ad in the wanted section.

I see them fairly often on the bay.

counterpuncher
02-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Interesting that I went from an RDS002 Tour to a PST GT. I have stuck with it, despite some honeymoon periods with a Aerogel 4D 200 Tour, RD Ti 80, YT Prestige Pro and a Donnay Blue 99.

I definitely hit my best groundstrokes with the Babolat, despite it swinging a little like a log, but my serves and net game suffer.

I'm still tickering with the Prestige and Donnay, but am not sure if I'll ever have the game for the Dunlop, despite it being the one I most want to like. I think you might need to add the Bio 200 Tour to your demo list, given that you liked the 200 lite, but with some additional weight.