PDA

View Full Version : nobody speaks of Ginepri anymore.....

NoBadMojo
07-22-2005, 06:47 PM
I heard that Ginepri is fitter than he;s ever been and hitting them better then ever..maybe he will make a splash this hard court season..we need an American to step it up, w Agassi out and Fish injured? and Dent being Dent, and Roddick seemingly taking a bit of a slide

Rodzilla
07-22-2005, 07:06 PM
All the best of luck to Ginepri because we do need guys like him to step up. But hopefully his win against Roddick was just a fluke and he doesn't take Roddick's spotlight. I heard that his win was a mix of his good form and an off day from Roddick, though.

Max G.
07-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Well, he's making a bit of a splash beating Roddick.

FedererUberAlles
07-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Played pretty well today; I don't really think that Roddick had an offday, Ginepri just played great.

BaseLineBash
07-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Robbie and Mardy could be top 10 players. They need to step it up and find conviction in what they do, point blank!

Fee
07-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Interesting... I haven't seen the match, but I have been told by a fairly observant tennis fan that Andy really stunk it up this week, barely winning matches he should have dominated and then losing his grip on the match today.

On the other hand, I am very fond of Robby and quite pleased to see him get a big win and play on a Saturday for the first time in a very long time. Hopefully, this win will help him have a good summer and get his ranking back up. Its about time he put all that talent to work. (Nice new clothes from Under Armour, by the way).

bcaz
07-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Yeah, Moje -- word is that Ginepri is a great athlete, was a terrific baseball and basketball player. Fastest guy on the tour -- I think by a good margin. Whether that means he can play championship tennis? Not sure. He's not just a kid anymore.

Marius_Hancu
07-23-2005, 01:55 AM
... and Roddick seemingly taking a bit of a slide

Right.

Just lost to Ginepri (good result for Ginepri, though).

Now he takes a break of a week (knee problems?).
If he fails to win USO again, will he fire Goldfine?

Noelle
07-23-2005, 02:37 AM
It's Goldfine, not Goldstein. :)

Right now I'm really worried about Roddick, but I hope that Ginepri continues to play well. The US has no one in the top ranks but Roddick and Agassi at this point.

Marius_Hancu
07-23-2005, 02:39 AM
It's Goldfine, not Goldstein. :)

of course, too early here.

equinox
07-23-2005, 04:01 AM
A Rod is just recovering from partying all week with the playboy bunnys.

He'll play hard come us open time.

larrhall
07-23-2005, 07:23 AM
My guess is that Robby Ginepri is too nice to develop the killer instinct that makes a Top 10 player. But if he can get comfortable with winning then he might just approach that level.

TEAMRAFA
07-23-2005, 07:34 AM
If he fails to win USO again, will he fire Goldfine?

hopefully. he hasn't done anything for roddick. lets face it... andy needs brad, and brad needs andy.

Free_Martha
07-23-2005, 10:02 AM
If Ginepri has truly arrived then he needs to win the RCA title if his win over Roddick is going to mean anything.

rafael
07-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Whoa Ginepri beat Roddick?! Holy crap he has been Roddick's whipping boy since they were juniors.

Rodzilla
07-23-2005, 12:11 PM
I've been watching some of the replay of the match against Roddick right now, and what I notice so far is that Ginepri is constructing points nicely and he can hit great angles. Roddick, on the other hand, is trying to construct points but not succeeding enough, and his weapon of power is not being used often enough. Roddick did not look totally there mentally, whereas Ginepri is not intimidated... Neither look like there putting forth a noteworthy peformance, which made this match tight the whole way through

Jon Hampton
07-23-2005, 12:21 PM
andy needs brad, and brad needs andy.

Truer words were never spoken, friend.

I have no clue why Andy decided to get rid of Brad; it was the best thing that ever happened to him. Goldfine has done nothing for Andy...in fact, I'd go so far as to say that Goldfine has made Andy slip back into mediocrity (the Andy of late 2002/early 2003). Granted, he has improved, but all of his opponents have improved more. He just doesn't seem as confident anymore and this year's Wimbledon (besides the fact that Federer is the absolute best player) showcases that more than anything else.

My hat is off to Ginepri for putting in the work to defeat Andy.

Andy Hewitt
07-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Those were some seriously bad calls in that 3rd set... I thought they were supposed to use shotspot for these things.... for Andy anyway.

fishuuuuu
07-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Ginepri is pretty cool as a tennis player, just watched that match between him and Roddick.

I think he really does need to win the RCA Champs for it to count, because obviously that line call was a big mental block for Roddick. Not cool.

Rodzilla
07-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Those were some seriously bad calls in that 3rd set... I thought they were supposed to use shotspot for these things.... for Andy anyway.

Absolutely. If they used the shotspot that aggravation from Andy would have never happened. That is one of the worst calls I have seen in a long time, and I mean Roddick had a point. The serve was going around 80 mph and was a good couple inches out enough to spot that serve clearly out. But if Andy was playing better he would have not been so ****ed after that, IMO.

zAllianceBmx
07-23-2005, 12:34 PM
roddick got screwed over on that game point 2nd serve for ginepri. it was way out.

FedererUberAlles
07-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I think losing to Federer at Wimbledon really hurt Andy. it's too bad.

Fee
07-23-2005, 01:00 PM
So Andy got screwed over on one call? Does that excuse the 30+ points that he gifted to Neps on UE's? That's how he lost the match, not because he decided to distract himself over one bad line call (he's been on the tour long enough now that he should be able to get over it and move on).

Kudos to Robby for taking advantage of what was happening on the other side of the net, as he did against Ferrero at Wimbledon last year. He kept his head together for the most part and he did many things right in this match, including finishing many points at the net (LOVED that). I would love to see him win this whole thing, if he can finish off this semifinal that he's playing right now.

joeman957
07-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Well Roddick was up 6-4, 5-4 (40-15)... good for Ginepri though.

VashTheStampede
07-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Right, Roddick wasn't down two breaks or anything like that. If he had just kept cooler he could have broken him the next opportunity or won it in a tie break. Instead he just blew it away. The time he spent arguing was longer than the remainder of the match.

tennis4losers
07-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah. The announcer said that he was 6-0 going into the match againts Roddick

gineprimania
07-24-2005, 06:17 PM
I think his step up and splash has already begun and hopefully will continue. I am a new found admirer of Ginepri due to this run he had in Indy. In ways, my game is modeled after Ginepri, but I would dig to have the consistency you have at that level. It's inspiring to see Ginepri give a different outlook on his tennis by working harder on and off the court.

I think people are surprised by this win and will probably write off Ginepri. But I feel if he stays healthy both physically and mentally, he is a legit threat to be someone to watch out for at Flushing Meadows. To break down all the things that makes his game dangerous to anyone: He has good court coverage, has a weapon for a forehand, his serve is not a bullet but is always usually well placed which makes holding serve not really a liability, his return game is solid, he can construct points incredibly well, sort of like the mindset of a claycourter, he can hit the angles/corners with the best of them, and basically has all the tools except could improve things like net game to become more all-around.

Mark my words, if he stays in shape and keeps the mental game that brought him to this win in Indy, Roddick will no longer be the lone American at the top...

Matt H.
07-24-2005, 07:09 PM
I like Ginepri. He had a pretty big year in 2003 making 4 quarterfinals in Master Series events.

He seemed to be more of a power player back then if i remember correctly...by Jimbo kept talking about how he's a grinder today.

tennis*bill
07-25-2005, 08:28 AM
I am glad to see the American boys doing well. Too bad Taylor can't commit. I've seen both of them in Houston, Taylor has defaulted most of the time just prior to his matches, and you never know what you're gonna get w/ Robby. I can identify w/ Robby, if he's having a bad day on the court, it shows pretty ugly w/ him breaking rackets and being rude to ball kids. If he's playing well, he's mr. nice guy.

I like the serve/volley game of Taylor and would like to actually see it in person, but in the 3 times he's been here for tournaments, he has never actually 'played' a match w/o defaulting. Too bad.

tennissavy
07-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Ginepri was very impressive when he made his atp appearance but like so many others he dropped down in permance rather suddenly. In this tournament, he played well and will hopefully continue to improve and have similar results. I really like his game. Like many others, once you learn how to return Roddick's serve, he becomes just an average atp player and vulnerable. Ginepri has better groundstrokes and perhaps even movement than Roddick so once he figured out how to return the serves he was able to employ his own game. BTW, I replayed Ginepri's questionable serve out wide, in slow motion, it appeared to touch the line. Roddick displayed typical bratty behavior which was extremely irritating and unattractive. I would love to trade places with all the chair umpires he has berrated and return the verbal assault. I love when that brat looses and that's why I watch his matches as well as the Williams sisters. Sometimes it is entertaining to have someone you want to lose play the game.

ty slothrop
07-25-2005, 11:26 AM
ginepri hasn't been the same since he lost to todd martin at the USO two years ago. as i recall, that would have put him in the fourth round after having a very good summer.

anyone else remember him almost running into the chair?

VashTheStampede
07-25-2005, 01:39 PM
ginepri hasn't been the same since he lost to todd martin at the USO two years ago. as i recall, that would have put him in the fourth round after having a very good summer.

anyone else remember him almost running into the chair?

I remember that! He made that insane shot around the netpost! It's ashame he didn't rise up the rankings after that. He sure is fun to watch.

Kevin Patrick
07-25-2005, 01:44 PM
I thought Arias' description of Ginepri's game was spot-on.
"Normally, you can see a player having a game-plan or strategy throughout a match. Not with Ginepri, he seems to be just hitting balls."

pound cat
07-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Ginepri's in cool alright. I watched Dent have a literal meltdown in the Indy final, and Ginepri is in great shape & he seems more confident. Of course, playing Dent in 110 degree heat would give him confidence.