PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a 8pnt headlight raxquet 3pnt head light

ironmantennis
02-25-2012, 01:38 PM
where and how do u weight it to change the head light

scotus
02-25-2012, 01:47 PM
where and how do u weight it to change the head light

You'll neede a balance board for this if you want precision.

corners
02-25-2012, 02:35 PM
You don't need a balance board but you do need at least a book with a sharp edge and a yardstick. http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/howto_swingweight.php (bottom of page)

8 points headlight = 31.75cm balance.
3 points headlight = 33.35cm balance

So you are looking to lengthen the balance by 1.6 cm. You'll either need a fair amount of lead or a very light replacement grip. You have four options and none of them are good:

1. You can add about 17 grams of lead tape at 12 o'clock. This would get to you 33.35cm balance, but it will also result in a huge swingweight. Your swingweight would increase by 50 units! I doubt you would want to do that, and I'm sure your shoulder wouldn't want you to.

2. You could somehow remove 17 grams from the buttcap region (about 1" from the end of the handle). This would get you to 33.35cm balance and would have minimal impact on your swingweight, so the frame would still have the same amount of intrinsic power. But buttcaps themselves only weight about 8 grams, so I'm not sure where you're going to find the weight to remove. If you happen to have a Wilson K90 there are some metal bars about 1/2" from the end of handle inside and you could pry a couple out. But aside from that I don't know how you do it.

3. If you have a leather grip you could remove it and play with a bare pallet. Not kidding. Leather grips weight about 20-24 grams and that's how much you would have to remove from the handle to get to 33.35cm. If you remove the leather and add anything in it's place you're not going to reach your target.

4. But you could remove the leather grip and use two overgrips on the bare handle instead. That would take about 10 grams from the handle and get you to 32.4cm. Then you could add 9 grams of lead tape at 12 o'clock - that would get you all the way to 33.35cm but would bump your swingweight up by 28 units. It will probably swing like a log in this condition.

I don't know why you want to make your racquet so much less headlight, but you can see that your project is pretty much impossible unless you are interested in playing with a frame with extremely high swingweight. If you go with option 4 your final product might be something like what Justine Henin played with, so if that's what you're after then go for it. If you let us know what you are trying to accomplish with the balance challenge maybe there is some other way to go about it.

It's much easier to make a head-heavy racquet headlight than to go the opposite route like you're trying to do. For example, it's really easy to make a tweener with nearly even balance (like the Aero Pro Drive) into a neo-player's stick - just add a leather grip, overgrip and wrap half an ounce of lead tape around the top of the handle.

For projects like these you can use this tool before asking for help: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php
It's pretty cool because it allows you to add or remove weight from anywhere on the frame and immediately tells you the resulting change in balance, weight and swingweight. (And twistweight and plowthrough too!)

Torres
02-25-2012, 03:08 PM
The simple answer is to just experiment with bits of lead tape in the hoop, or buy a new racquet closer to your desired specs.

The issue isn't really about just changing the balance point because to acheive the balance point that you want, you're changing a huge number of other factors all of which are going to significantly affect how the racquet feels and plays.

ironmantennis
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
a k 6.1 team 95....which is even balance....im trying o get the swingweight up and love the control of the k90 new one....how would i custmize that model

eldub20
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
...For projects like these you can use this tool before asking for help: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php
It's pretty cool because it allows you to add or remove weight from anywhere on the frame and immediately tells you the resulting change in balance, weight and swingweight. (And twistweight and plowthrough too!)

Thanks for the link! It'll help for racquet matching.