PDA

View Full Version : Didn't want to like it, but.......

michael_1265
02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
I had been playing with a Volkl DNX 10, and I liked it a lot. Great control and touch, very old school, just a nice hit. When I faced big hitters, though, it wasn't giving me enough margin to do well.

One day, my regular hitting partner (a former division I player) recommended that I try one of his Pure Drives (the orange 135th Anniv. Version). It felt a little bulky at first, but suddenly I was hitting everything with more spin and pace, and my serve gained at least 10% in velocity, with nearly the same level of control as the Volkl. After I tried it out, he offered me an insanely good deal (I think he has taken me on as a "project" of sorts.) So I jumped, and I haven't looked back.

I stayed away from Babolat, mostly due to the fact that they seem to be everywhere, and as a general rule the best marketing does not mean the best product. Putting all of the noise aside, though, I can't deny how well this setup works for me. I had the opportunity to close out a set on serve this morning. Four serves, all hit well, and the ball never made it back over the net. That NEVER happens to me. I have a lot of confidence in this stick right now. I never thought I would end up swinging a Babolat..........

sansaephanh
02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I know how you feel. I hit with the pure storm ltd a long while back, and it was better for my game than anything i'd ever used. Too bad no one wants to give me one, cause i'm definitely not going to buy one lol.

BC1
02-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I had been playing with a Volkl DNX 10, and I liked it a lot. Great control and touch, very old school, just a nice hit. When I faced big hitters, though, it wasn't giving me enough margin to do well.

One day, my regular hitting partner (a former division I player) recommended that I try one of his Pure Drives (the orange 135th Anniv. Version). It felt a little bulky at first, but suddenly I was hitting everything with more spin and pace, and my serve gained at least 10% in velocity, with nearly the same level of control as the Volkl. After I tried it out, he offered me an insanely good deal (I think he has taken me on as a "project" of sorts.) So I jumped, and I haven't looked back.

I stayed away from Babolat, mostly due to the fact that they seem to be everywhere, and as a general rule the best marketing does not mean the best product. Putting all of the noise aside, though, I can't deny how well this setup works for me. I had the opportunity to close out a set on serve this morning. Four serves, all hit well, and the ball never made it back over the net. That NEVER happens to me. I have a lot of confidence in this stick right now. I never thought I would end up swinging a Babolat..........

I think a lot of people feel this way. I've played with a pd off and on for over two years now. Sometimes a love-hate relationship but mostly love because of the results. The pd is addicting, and as soon as i think i found a new "better" racquet, i'm drawn back to it, and once you try it again its over - you're hooked. Ive tried not to like it for the same reasons u mentioned above, or because it doesnt have that great players racquet feel, or it seems too powerful, but there is just something about it that others in its class dont have. I thought i was over it just this past week, and moving on to prince (warrior or rebel98, both of which are great racquets and at times have liked better then the pd) but i think i was kidding myself. I cant seem to keep the PDs out of my bag, and today i played with the pdr, pd 2012, and even grabbed a 107 (2012) demo, and needless to say, im back with the pure drives. They are all very good racquets. I will probably stick with the standard pd 2012.

Fuji
02-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Great stick, just watch the elbow. I'm a huge Babolat advocate, I think they make fantastic rackets for a lot of players. I still use my Aerostorms and am completely satisfied with them, although the 200's are just drawing me more then them at the moment.

As long as your arm is happy, use the PD! I know I sure would!

-Fuji

Chyeaah
02-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Love the new PD range, although i still find a lack of control compared to my 100S. They both have similar spin, PD higher power, but I find that i spray my winners too wide and i can't go for the deep pinpoint moonball winners in doubles.

I love how you can just smack the ball back down the middle and they hit such a bad ball back to you.

Hi I'm Ray
02-25-2012, 07:59 PM

I always used heavy frames but decided to go with something light and more powerful when I got back into tennis. Ended up with a Babolat, the APDGT, after demoing a ton of similar frames. The local courts are loaded with pushers & junk ball artists and are so crowded you almost always have to play doubles, slow junk ball doubles against players who push every hard shot back deep and with no pace (PIA). After a year I ended up with a Volkl PB 10 Mid and was doing much better with higher precision & better placement over power. Then I started playing singles against a much more agressive player who made it onto a local college team and the Volkl just was too slow and under powered. I compared his forehands with a ball machine recently and his forehands are regularly around 70-80mph. Pulled out the Babolats after the first 15min and played much better, started breaking even right away and playing better than him on good days. It seems like the Babolats were made for this kind of fast paced modern game, well at least it makes it a lot easier for a "regular" player like me.

I must admit that if the Volkl were strung for more power and since my timing is much faster now, it could probably still work.

Topaz
02-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Michael, you need to change your signature now. :)

BC1
02-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Great stick, just watch the elbow. I'm a huge Babolat advocate, I think they make fantastic rackets for a lot of players. I still use my Aerostorms and am completely satisfied with them, although the 200's are just drawing me more then them at the moment.

As long as your arm is happy, use the PD! I know I sure would!

-Fuji

I guess i've been fortunate with no elbow issues from the babolats. The funny, or strange, thing is, after using the rebel 98 for two weeks i started getting elbow and shoulder problems (and of course the rebel is supposedly a very flexible frame -58 ). Not sure if it was from having to play that much harder with the rebel and not using proper technique, or because the rebel is harsher when you dont hit in the sweet spot. The pure drives play and feel far more softer then the numbers indicate. I think babolats tech (woofer and cortex) really do work.

Fuji
02-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I guess i've been fortunate with no elbow issues from the babolats. The funny, or strange, thing is, after using the rebel 98 for two weeks i started getting elbow and shoulder problems (and of course the rebel is supposedly a very flexible frame -58 ). Not sure if it was from having to play that much harder with the rebel and not using proper technique, or because the rebel is harsher when you dont hit in the sweet spot. The pure drives play and feel far more softer then the numbers indicate. I think babolats tech (woofer and cortex) really do work.

I'd put my money on you are over swinging to get the same result, 58 needs a much harder swing to produce the same amount of power as a PD. :)

-Fuji

BC1
02-26-2012, 02:51 AM
I'd put my money on you are over swinging to get the same result, 58 needs a much harder swing to produce the same amount of power as a PD. :)

-Fuji

I agree. i have to work a lot harder with the rebel to get the power and depth of the pd. But when i have the time to prepare the control pays off. With the pd the shots are much easier but the accuracy suffers, however i found out i need the forgiveness of the pd when im up against much stronger players. Thats when the pd really shines.

ghia
02-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Hey Fuji,
just saw your sig...changed racquets again, did you ?

michael_1265
02-26-2012, 06:19 AM
I always used heavy frames but decided to go with something light and more powerful when I got back into tennis. Ended up with a Babolat, the APDGT, after demoing a ton of similar frames. The local courts are loaded with pushers & junk ball artists and are so crowded you almost always have to play doubles, slow junk ball doubles against players who push every hard shot back deep and with no pace (PIA). After a year I ended up with a Volkl PB 10 Mid and was doing much better with higher precision & better placement over power. Then I started playing singles against a much more agressive player who made it onto a local college team and the Volkl just was too slow and under powered. I compared his forehands with a ball machine recently and his forehands are regularly around 70-80mph. Pulled out the Babolats after the first 15min and played much better, started breaking even right away and playing better than him on good days. It seems like the Babolats were made for this kind of fast paced modern game, well at least it makes it a lot easier for a "regular" player like me.

I must admit that if the Volkl were strung for more power and since my timing is much faster now, it could probably still work.

Ray, this is exactly my story. Against lesser players, the Volkl is a great stick. Also, I have an 85 sq inch Wilson Force that is the absolute bomb when generating pace from no pace. At this point, though, the PD is the best compromise overall.

fuzz nation
02-26-2012, 06:48 AM

I'd offer that pretty much anytime that one of us takes up with a different racquet, that's going to usually bring an adjustment period where mis-hits will be a lot more common. Even when using a frame with an especially arm-friendly reputation, a big increase in mis-hits will be a lot rougher on the elbow.

I've also seen more that one or two cases of chronic arm irritation and tennis elbow suffered by players in my region in recent history. Nothing groundbreaking there, but some instances have been among stronger players using "arm-friendly" racquets strung with poly. I'm convinced that square one when looking to adopt gear that's easy on the arm is to look for softer string regardless of the stiffness of the racquet. If you haven't tried something more resilient in your Rebel yet, that could save you from needing to ditch that racquet (if you're looking to keep it).

fuzz nation
02-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Ray, this is exactly my story. Against lesser players, the Volkl is a great stick. Also, I have an 85 sq inch Wilson Force that is the absolute bomb when generating pace from no pace. At this point, though, the PD is the best compromise overall.

Don't go so hard on yourself if you've found a good fit. I'm not a Babolat user myself, but it's only a good thing when your gear clicks with your game. A huge spectrum of players have found great success with the PD. Hard to believe that those results are simply about endorsements and marketing.

I've found that hefty mid-size frames with lots of flex can be fun measuring sticks (pun only partially intended) because I can only play well with those racquets when I'm really on top of things. Good movement, early stroke preparation, a complete swing... If I get lazy with one of those racquets, my shots go to crap. If I'm arming the ball too much and neglecting a good "kinetic chain" to energize my swing, my shoulder will send me an official letter of reprimand inside of 15-20 minutes!

Those mids can be useful for my training or even occasional match play, but I'd say that my mid-plus Volkl C10's are more tolerant when my game isn't so supremely up to snuff. They reward me just fine for doing things right, but don't completely morph into a dead fish on me if I get a hair slow or late out there. I'll bet that you get the same thing with that PD.

michael_1265
02-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Michael, you need to change your signature now. :)

Yeah, I know, but the Volkl seems so much more cool. And different. Now I get to join the masses :?

forthegame
02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Got myself a 1st gen Pure Drive and I enjoyed the jump in power. Hwvr my shoulder started hurting. My elbow also started playing up. It was a sweet hit, addictive.

Power Player
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Got myself a 1st gen Pure Drive and I enjoyed the jump in power. Hwvr my shoulder started hurting. My elbow also started playing up. It was a sweet hit, addictive.

If you love the pure drive and want a more comfortable and solid hit, the Wilson pro open is worth a demo. I like the pure drive and APd, but they were a little too stiff for me over time.

The pro open plays very similar, but the feel is a lot easier on the body. Just one option, but there are more out there the I have not used.

JackB1
02-26-2012, 10:54 AM
If you love the pure drive and want a more comfortable and solid hit, the Wilson pro open is worth a demo. I like the pure drive and APd, but they were a little too stiff for me over time.

The pro open plays very similar, but the feel is a lot easier on the body. Just one option, but there are more out there the I have not used.

^^^^^^

agree. Also the Becker DC Pro is like a comfy PD as well.

jjs891
02-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Jack

How does warrior compare with PD and Becker Pro?

Fuji
02-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Hey Fuji,
just saw your sig...changed racquets again, did you ?

Hey ghia!

Switched away from the PSL a while ago now, and now I've got a whole swig of rackets I'm demoing. For the last while I've been using the Bio200 with probably the best success I've had in a while. I've flirted with a few tweeners and it's been nice, but a lot harder to play my game with then I would have liked. The Bio200's are similar to the PSL, but just a bit more "pop" orientated. They have a bit more power and are very soft on my arm, especially strung with full poly!

-Fuji

forthegame
02-26-2012, 11:35 AM

^^^^^^

I've got a Becker DC Pro waiting for me at home, can't wait to hit.

BC1
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd offer that pretty much anytime that one of us takes up with a different racquet, that's going to usually bring an adjustment period where mis-hits will be a lot more common. Even when using a frame with an especially arm-friendly reputation, a big increase in mis-hits will be a lot rougher on the elbow.

I've also seen more that one or two cases of chronic arm irritation and tennis elbow suffered by players in my region in recent history. Nothing groundbreaking there, but some instances have been among stronger players using "arm-friendly" racquets strung with poly. I'm convinced that square one when looking to adopt gear that's easy on the arm is to look for softer string regardless of the stiffness of the racquet. If you haven't tried something more resilient in your Rebel yet, that could save you from needing to ditch that racquet (if you're looking to keep it).

Fuzz nation,
Thanks for the good advice. Makes sense.

RollTrackTake
02-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Is there any information or research about racquet 'comfort' that takes strings, added weight (lead, silicone, etc.) into consideration?

blipblop
02-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Hey ghia!

Switched away from the PSL a while ago now, and now I've got a whole swig of rackets I'm demoing. For the last while I've been using the Bio200 with probably the best success I've had in a while. I've flirted with a few tweeners and it's been nice, but a lot harder to play my game with then I would have liked. The Bio200's are similar to the PSL, but just a bit more "pop" orientated. They have a bit more power and are very soft on my arm, especially strung with full poly!

-Fuji

I recently demoed the Bio200 also, and found it to be a great stick as well; just a little to demanding and low-powered for my level. My partner also hits a Pure Storm Ltd. and I recommended him to try the Dunlop, as I found them to be similar too.

As far as the OP is concerned: I can mildly relate, as I have been strictly a Yonex user for about 5 years or so. I've always liked the "niche" brands and tried to stay away from the "big marketing" brands. But recently I demoed a bunch of sticks, and the Pure Storm Tour GT was my favorite. It goes to show that for casual/club players, you just have to try them all out. And don't be swayed by brand name.

That said, lately Yonex has been making a big marketing push, and signed a slew of new pros.

TennisCJC
02-27-2012, 07:28 AM
I have not tried the pure drive but I have tried several similar wider, stiffer frames. Yes, at first you get more power and spin. But, then I always get to a point where I miss the control of the thinner more flexible beam and go back to a players racket. Be sure this isn't just a honeymoon period.

deco0028
02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
^^^^^^

Hi Jack
I am intrigued by this stick as well. Had the original Becker Pro, not too bad at all, especially with syn gut. Poly made it feel tinny and harsh.
I have read the DC Pro is softer on the arm(dare I say plush), and the open string pattern should help with topspin. Worthy of a try, I would think. The PD GT feels harsh, but the PDRGT feels much more solid.
Cheers

michael_1265
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
I have not tried the pure drive but I have tried several similar wider, stiffer frames. Yes, at first you get more power and spin. But, then I always get to a point where I miss the control of the thinner more flexible beam and go back to a players racket. Be sure this isn't just a honeymoon period.

I was thinking that too, but since I took up the PD in response to a weakness in my original stick, I think that it is unlikely. Even if the PD doesn't work out in the long term (I hope it does), I still need more power and forgiveness. I still do love thin-beam, old school racquets, though. I have a wall of them at home.

ollinger
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
The thread demonstrates how fear of conformity holds people back. I know people who drive Mazdas because so many people are driving Hondas and Toyotas, and they think the Mazda makes them stand out a bit. It does -- as a guy with not very good judgement. Using a 93 sq.in. Volkl will certainly make you stand out, but you might prefer winning, which can also be a distinction.

sureshs
02-27-2012, 09:50 AM
What about one of them new FIATs? Will they make me stand out?

ghia
02-27-2012, 10:08 AM

-Fuji
Yesterday 09:00 PM

Hello Fuji,

thanks for the info.
I moved away from the psl also. Had a 3 month love afair with a dunlop 4d 200 16*19 but I am now back to the head yt prestige mp and I'm playing my best tennis ever. Will rest for now with that, I mean the prestiges, maybe the new softer IG when the prices will cool down a bit. I'm proud to say I no longer carry 6-7 different racquets to the court but just 2 prestiges mp. Finally!
Good luck!

djnemo
02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
The PDR was the best serving stick I've ever used, and I've tried 30+ racquets in the last few years. It must have added 10 mph to my serves. Comfort was an issue for me however.

Sreeram
02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Other than BB DC pro what else is an option for PD with nice feel?

I think PD is an universal racquet that will fit both flat and spin favoring players. I had my best serves using PD. But for some reason I never thought them as my playing stick. I like their Aero storm series.

Fuji
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Hello Fuji,

thanks for the info.
I moved away from the psl also. Had a 3 month love afair with a dunlop 4d 200 16*19 but I am now back to the head yt prestige mp and I'm playing my best tennis ever. Will rest for now with that, I mean the prestiges, maybe the new softer IG when the prices will cool down a bit. I'm proud to say I no longer carry 6-7 different racquets to the court but just 2 prestiges mp. Finally!
Good luck!

Awesome! I really like the prestiges, but they just never fully worked out for me. Played awesome though!

The PSL was great, just not enough substance for me. :)

-Fuji

Hi I'm Ray
03-02-2012, 01:10 AM

This is really making me want to restring my PB 10 Mid at a proper tension. Mine is currently "unplayable" being strung too tight, what a time to be out of strings. The fast hitter went back to school so I've been back playing against the pushers and I haven't been doing particularly good latley. Well being 3 weeks into changing my FH eastern to semi western doesn't help either but I remember playing quite well against them with the Volkl. If you ever find yourself getting too used to the easy power and spin of the Babolat and getting lazy like I do, try warming up with the lower powered racket for about 10min.

Power Player
03-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Other than BB DC pro what else is an option for PD with nice feel?

Wilson Pro Open. I have some and a Pure Drive. Similar sticks. Pro Open is easier on the arm and is more plush. The Pure Drive is a crisper. Both have excellent feel.

TenFanLA
03-03-2012, 06:47 AM
This is really making me want to restring my PB 10 Mid at a proper tension. Mine is currently "unplayable" being strung too tight, what a time to be out of strings. The fast hitter went back to school so I've been back playing against the pushers and I haven't been doing particularly good latley. Well being 3 weeks into changing my FH eastern to semi western doesn't help either but I remember playing quite well against them with the Volkl. If you ever find yourself getting too used to the easy power and spin of the Babolat and getting lazy like I do, try warming up with the lower powered racket for about 10min.

Hey Ray, I got your message but your profile does not allow me to email you. In any case those strings are long gone. Sorry.

Power Player
03-03-2012, 08:36 AM
This new 2012 pure drive is a lot more comfortable then the old ones. Glad I demoed it because I love the thing.
Also, control is not an issue for me. Hits with great precision and I was coming from a 6.1 players stick.

Hi I'm Ray
03-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Hey Ray, I got your message but your profile does not allow me to email you. In any case those strings are long gone. Sorry.

I guess it was disabled and I didn't know it. If I didn't see the thread 2 weeks late I wouldn't have minded distributing the strings. Thanks, that was very generous what you did.