PDA

View Full Version : 2012 IG Prestige Pro -v- 2012 BLX 6.1 95 16x18

Torres
02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Does anyone have a definitive view of these two racquets? Specs are similar though I appreciate that they're probably going to feel and play differently, at least in stock form anyway.

I have a couple of 2010/11 BLX 6.1 95s (18x20) as my main sticks, and also a couple of leaded up Youtek Prestige MPs. The 6.1 is just a beautifully balanced and cohesive racquet in my view, and having got rid of a couple of out of spec sticks, the two I have remaining are never going to be sold.

However, I do occasionally hanker for the greater forgiveness of the Prestige's larger 98sq" head.

I fully appreciate that I'm going to have to try both, but would welcome any thoughts which people may have.

holytennis
02-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Does anyone have a definitive view of these two racquets? Specs are similar though I appreciate that they're probably going to feel and play differently, at least in stock form anyway.

I have a couple of 2010/11 BLX 6.1 95s (18x20) as my main sticks, and also a couple of leaded up Youtek Prestige MPs. The 6.1 is just a beautifully balanced and cohesive racquet in my view, and having got rid of a couple of out of spec sticks, the two I have remaining are never going to be sold.

However, I do occasionally hanker for the greater forgiveness of the Prestige's larger 98sq" head.

I fully appreciate that I'm going to have to try both, but would welcome any thoughts which people may have.

The prestige too has a head size of 95 sq. inch. If anything, you would find a bit more forgiveness from the wilson, atleast according to the TWU data.

stewfoo412
02-26-2012, 07:37 PM
I've recently hit with both. And i disagree with what holytennis said about the 95 sq. inch head because i compared it to my six one 95 and the prestige was definitely a little larger. But anyways back to how they play. In my opinion the wilson was definitely the better racket. Keep in mind the racket that i currently play with gives me a bias. The wilson just felt more stable and solid all around. With the head anything off center causes a boardy feeling that the wilson doesnt seem to have. Also on return of serve i much prefered the wilson over the head because i felt that the head could be pushed around a little. All in all i thought that the prestige was a great frame and the only knocks on it were its' lack of power and small sweet spot but the six one definitely took it for me because of its just solid feel on every stroke. Needless to say im switching to the new six one.

Torres
02-27-2012, 02:48 AM
The prestige too has a head size of 95 sq. inch. If anything, you would find a bit more forgiveness from the wilson, atleast according to the TWU data.

The Prestige MP/Pro hoop is noticeably bigger than the 6.1

Bartelby
02-27-2012, 02:55 AM
Every 98 I've put a prestige/radical up against has shown them to be smaller.

tymmh789
02-27-2012, 03:34 AM

Ya I compared my PP to Babolat Pure Storm and it was definitely smaller. Close to being identical to my old rebels.

Torres
02-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Ya I compared my PP to Babolat Pure Storm and it was definitely smaller.

Er, this thread seems to have gone off at a tangent. No one's comparing Prestige 98s to other 98s.

Fed Kennedy
02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
I would choose the wilson. You could drive yourself crazy trying to make the head feel as solid as the wilson. Then theres the atrocious grip shape.

tarkowski
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I would choose the wilson. You could drive yourself crazy trying to make the head feel as solid as the wilson. Then theres the atrocious grip shape.

This. Agreed. The Wilson just feels so much more solid stock. The PP would need a bit of work (lead) for that. I also prefer the Wilson grip shape. Also, I don't think the PP is any more forgiving. In fact, off-center hits seemed more comfortable to me on the Wilson - and the results were better too. Just my $.02, and of course, everyone perceives these things differently. The Head does have a bit more feel, and with enough lead, could be just as comfortable and solid. It would just take a bit of work.

Cfidave
02-27-2012, 01:42 PM
I have both here, as I type this. The PP is a little bigger, just a little, towards the bottom of the hoop. I just switched from the 6.1 95 to the Prestige Pro because I felt it added more control to my game, without sacrificing any power. I also thought the PP is a better racquet at net, and on shots that require a little more feel. The 6.1, however, is more solid on returns, and probably more solid feeling overall. Both great racquets. BTW, the Head grip does definately take some getting use to, especially on the 1hbh.

Torres
02-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm a bit surprised by the comments about the Prestige lacking solidity. I thought the Youtek version at least had a pretty solid construction. Or are people simply referring to lack of mass in the upper hoop when they talk about lack of 'solidity'?

TaihtDuhShaat
02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Well the 6.1 has a MgR/I of about 20.6, and the PP of about 21.5, meaning lots of things.

1.) The PP is quicker and depolarized feeling (also less sw)
2.) 6.1 is whippy and sluggy spin friendly
3.) PP is easier to change direction (maybe too fast)
4.) 6.1 better at the baseline
5.) PP is better for coming forward
IMO the 6.1 needs a lighter grip and lead at the top of the grip, and the PP needs lead on the upper hoop. Provided you find a 6.1 that has a SW in the 320's they are much more comparable, but the PP will still be much faster. The PP is setup perfectly to just leading the hoop and adding an overgrip and maybe some weight in the butt. The 6.1 needs a lot of work on the upper handle to be perfect if you like a quick depolarized feeling. If you like whippy and spinny, than the 6.1 is clearly more suited to that and won't need lead at the upper grip.

Power Player
02-27-2012, 02:18 PM
The PP is a 95 size.

It has a very small sweetspot and does not have as much crushing power as the BLX unless you dime the sweetspot.

I'd use the Prestige if I was coming to net a lot.

For baselining, and attacking play...the BLX is optimal.

Torres
02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
The PP is a 95 size.

Really? So the PP is smaller than the MP?

I know that the Prestige Mid is probably closer to 90 (or even less) but the MP's hoop plays very noticeably bigger than the 6.1.

tarkowski
02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Really? So the PP is smaller than the MP?

I know that the Prestige Mid is probably closer to 90 (or even less) but the MP's hoop plays very noticeably bigger than the 6.1.

Hey Torres,

Yes, that Prestige is much closer to 95 than 98. It may be 'slightly' larger than a 6.1, but it is noticeably smaller than a pure storm or blade 98.

Torres
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
^ Thanks for clarifying. I'm familiar with the MP (pretty big hoop) but not much with the Pro. If the Pro is roughly the same hoop size as the 6.1, then I'm going to favor the 6.1 as I prefer the 6.1's distribution of mass.

JGads
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Another big vote for the 6.1. The PPro has a sweet spot that feels like the size of a quarter, and anything outside of it feels so boardy. The Prestige MP has always been so much better to me than the Pro, in terms of the Prestiges.

The 6.1, meanwhile, is just a beast that hits effortlessly heavy. Probably a bit too rigid and hefty for me, but I always have so much fun with it and if I'm going 12-plus oz, the 6.1 crushes the Prestige Pro for me. More consistent, heavier shots, bigger sweet spot.

ZeroSkid
02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
If you can handle the weight then the six one 95 is the better choice, I might be playing with it if not for my vantage racquets

ChicagoJack
02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Wow... It does not surprise me that a Head 98 is actually smaller than any other brands 98. But are you guys saying that the Prestige Pro (listed as 98sq) is actually smaller than the Prestige MP ? ... which is also listed as a 98sq

un6a
02-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Wow... It does not surprise me that a Head 98 is actually smaller than any other brands 98. But are you guys saying that the Prestige Pro (listed as 98sq) is actually smaller than the Prestige MP ? ... which is also listed as a 98sq

Prestige MP and Presige Pro, both have same head size - very close to 95 inches.

RacketFever
02-28-2012, 06:59 AM

I currently use the IG PP. I haven't tried the 2012 model of the BLX 95 16x18, but the older model felt very Solid too. The sweet spot on the IG PP is not small at all(Maybe because i string at 52lbs). Its an amazing racket, with a solid, soft overall feel.

Torres
04-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Prestige MP and Presige Pro, both have same head size - very close to 95 inches.

I don't think that can be right. The Prestige MP headsize/hoop/stringbed feels very noticeably bigger than the 6.1s which is supposed to be a 95. Unless of course you're saying that the 6.1 95 isn't actually a 95....

wao
04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Torres
I currently use the IG PP strung with a gut/poly hybrid ( 52/48 ). I demo'd the 2012 model of the BLX 95 16x18 and it is a solid stick. With the wilson I had a little more trouble flattening out mid court balls and found no touch what so ever at the net. From the back court it was solid, I wouldn't say any more or less than the PP IMO. The IG PP is an amazing racket, with a solid, soft overall feel.Like everyone here we have our preference, I somewhat struggle with the more rounded grips.

Torres
04-05-2012, 04:06 PM
@ wao - thanks for the comments. I think I've been playing on the other side of the train tracks compared to you PP guys, because I've always gone down the 18x20 route and also prefer rounded grips as well! That said, I do want to pick up an open pattern as an option.....

Did you find you had to lead the PP or do you feel that it works pretty much perfectly in stock?

Power Player
04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Guys even though it may look different, all these sticks are 95s..the mp, the pro and the blx.

UCSF2012
04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Hands down 6.1 95!!!!

I wanted to dabble with the Prestige Pro IG, so I bought one. I now regret it. Feels solid when you strike it dead center, but strike it 1-1.5 inches off centered and you get a hollow feel. Kinda pingy, kinda ...ew. Even with lead tape at 3/9, I couldn't get it to feel anywhere as good as the 6.1 95.

The 6.1 produces more spin by far. Swings quickly and very whippy. The increased spin lets me cut bigger angles.

Serves are nearly the same. Same power, similar placement, similar angles. I can hit a foot shorter with the 6.1. Grounds strokes are better on the 6.1 too.

I just don't like the Prestige line at all. I do like the Speed Pro, however. Very, very good racket...for all except the boys who complain their muscles aren't developed enough.

wao
04-05-2012, 08:55 PM
@ wao - thanks for the comments. I think I've been playing on the other side of the train tracks compared to you PP guys, because I've always gone down the 18x20 route and also prefer rounded grips as well! That said, I do want to pick up an open pattern as an option.....

Did you find you had to lead the PP or do you feel that it works pretty much perfectly in stock?I have expermited with some weight at 10/2 and counter balanced in the handle. Back to somewhat stock now (some weight still in the handle) I am about 8pts HL. Everyone has there own opinion but I have NO issue with as one of the posters noted "Feels solid when you strike it dead center, but strike it 1-1.5 inches off centered and you get a hollow feel. Kinda pingy, kinda ...ew." I don't see that at all. Though I also hit really good with the Mid Prestige at ( 93 ) more like 90. I did struggle with the correct string and tension set up and I am getting real close to getting it dialed in.

slal1984
04-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I actually have hit with both racquets...i currently play with the Head youtek Prestige Pro (Mains: Gut 65/ Cross:SPPP 53, i let each racquet sit for a week before i hit with it...dont ask me why it just feels a lot better).
This racquet is a lot more powerful from the baseline, more control in my opinion, and a lot more forgiveness on off center hits. My serve has a lot more kick to it as well...and its very easy to flatten out shots.

Wilson BLX Pro Staff Six.One 95 (Mains: Gut 65/ Cross:SPPP 53). You HAVE to hit the ball in the center of the bed, this racquet will cost you if you miss hit. But when i hit it sweet i got a lot more spin, for some reason my backhand was more powerful than my forehand..and it is the best racquet i have ever hit with for volleys...omg i felt like i was cutting the ball in half...it was so easy and the ball stayed so low. Serve was average..once again have to hit the ball in the center.

I would have switched to the Wilson except for the fact that there is no forgiveness for an off center hit and you leave your opponent with a sitter which is frustrating.

I will add some lead to see if that does anything to the frame...any suggestions on where i should? I was thinking 9 and 3????

backatcha
04-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I actually have hit with both racquets...i currently play with the Head youtek Prestige Pro (Mains: Gut 65/ Cross:SPPP 53, i let each racquet sit for a week before i hit with it...dont ask me why it just feels a lot better).
This racquet is a lot more powerful from the baseline, more control in my opinion, and a lot more forgiveness on off center hits. My serve has a lot more kick to it as well...and its very easy to flatten out shots.

Wilson BLX Pro Staff Six.One 95 (Mains: Gut 65/ Cross:SPPP 53). You HAVE to hit the ball in the center of the bed, this racquet will cost you if you miss hit. But when i hit it sweet i got a lot more spin, for some reason my backhand was more powerful than my forehand..and it is the best racquet i have ever hit with for volleys...omg i felt like i was cutting the ball in half...it was so easy and the ball stayed so low. Serve was average..once again have to hit the ball in the center.

I would have switched to the Wilson except for the fact that there is no forgiveness for an off center hit and you leave your opponent with a sitter which is frustrating.

I will add some lead to see if that does anything to the frame...any suggestions on where i should? I was thinking 9 and 3????

It could be that the reason you are experiencing a smaller sweet spot in your Wilson may be the direct result of the high tension of your mains (65lbs seems very high for this frame... also the tension difference between the mains and the crosses seems unusually large and perhaps unbalanced).

Regardless, this racquet seems play very well (and is very forgiving) with a full bed of poly strung in the low to mid 50's. I am currently playing with the Wilson 6.1 18x20 (2012) at 52lbs and have found this Wilson to be "surprisingly" comfortable with a "huge" sweet spot particularly for a 95in. Bottom line: This racquet opens up with the right string and lower tensions.

PS: Definitely better power with same level of control as YTPP (however, I haven't tried the IG... YET!)

Nojoke
04-20-2012, 05:58 AM
It could be that the reason you are experiencing a smaller sweet spot in your Wilson may be the direct result of the high tension of your mains (65lbs seems very high for this frame... also the tension difference between the mains and the crosses seems unusually large and perhaps unbalanced).

Regardless, this racquet seems play very well (and is very forgiving) with a full bed of poly strung in the low to mid 50's. I am currently playing with the Wilson 6.1 18x20 (2012) at 52lbs and have found this Wilson to be "surprisingly" comfortable with a "huge" sweet spot particularly for a 95in. Bottom line: This racquet opens up with the right string and lower tensions.

PS: Definitely better power with same level of control as YTPP (however, I haven't tried the IG... YET!)

Also, he seemed to be referring to the pro staff 95, which is not the racket being discussed in this thread. That may also explain some of the differences he noted.