PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Bolt racquets?

sureshs
02-26-2012, 04:46 PM
They are featured in the latest issue of RSI mag and have some new dampening system. Had never heard of them before.

scotus
02-26-2012, 05:13 PM
link please?

Fuji
02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Have heard of them before, and saw them before at my club. A guy had them and they looked very cheap. Paint jobs were shoddy to say the least. I didn't hit with them but they didn't look overly special.

Just from what I saw!

-Fuji

PeterFig
02-26-2012, 06:04 PM
http://boltadvance.com/

6-2/6-4/6-0
02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
There was a lot of discussion of the rackets when the 'black racket' was first appearing...

sureshs
02-27-2012, 05:33 AM
But the black racket turned out to be Gamma, no?

6-2/6-4/6-0
02-27-2012, 06:25 AM
True, but while the companies are not at all related, the two were discussed in some of the same threads. Search for black racket and you should find the thread...

Timbo's hopeless slice
02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
featured one of the strangest endorsement qotes ever : "that guy has got a Bolt, he's got to go!" (Brad Gilbert)

Anyone who has the faintest idea what that means is welcome to post it at this time...

fuzz nation
02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I saw one last year when I was helping out at the little tournament in Newport. Someone had them at one of the promotional booths so one of the teaching pros tried it out for some of the free clinics we did. I didn't try it out, but at a glance, I would have sworn it was a Yonex with a lightning bolt stencil on the strings.

user92626
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
featured one of the strangest endorsement qotes ever : "that guy has got a Bolt, he's got to go!" (Brad Gilbert)

Anyone who has the faintest idea what that means is welcome to post it at this time...

He was probably refering to the drink. That's what you do when you got too many a bolt drink.

http://vibrantlivingmagazine.com/Vibrant-Living-Magazine-May-June-2011/4113FFA3F2CF8D535341B7C8224172DF/html/gatorade-lightning-bolt-logo-i4.jpg

BMC9670
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Bolt:
verb.intr.
1. To move or spring suddenly.
2. To start suddenly and run away: The horse bolted at the sound of the shot. The frightened child bolted from the room.

zapvor
02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
there was a thread on this brand before.

6-2/6-4/6-0
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
found the old thread...

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=402371

[d]ragon
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Have heard of them before, and saw them before at my club. A guy had them and they looked very cheap. Paint jobs were shoddy to say the least. I didn't hit with them but they didn't look overly special.

Just from what I saw!

-Fuji

I saw one at the local tennis shop. That was my impression as well

mchjhn
02-28-2012, 05:42 AM
that was volkl's catapult idea 10 years ago was identical. seems like a gimmick

Skanter
02-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I tried a Bolt racquet last week, as I met the owner of the company at my tennis club and he had some demos. I tried the 98 Light model, which won't be available until April.

I played singles for 1/2 hour with this racquet. I have never experience anywhere near this much power and control when playing tennis. The ball exploded off my racquet. What's more, I felt absolutely no shock to my arm or wrist, crucial for me as I have a wrist inflammation that kept me off the court for months.

The owner told me that this is a unique technology, much like the suspension of a car.

I spoke to another player who tried the racquet that night, and he loved it and ordered one the next day as I did. Neither of us paid much attention to the looks of the racquet, but it looked pretty much like any other racquet.

Racquet-Priority
02-28-2012, 10:37 AM
What's the intention of the "zip-strip"?

Larrysümmers
02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
i dont even look at the specs of rackets over 200 bucks, lol.

sureshs
02-28-2012, 12:55 PM

It is supposed to provide the flex, rather than the frame, which is stiffer for more power and directional control. That is the claim.

sureshs
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I tried a Bolt racquet last week, as I met the owner of the company at my tennis club and he had some demos. I tried the 98 Light model, which won't be available until April.

I played singles for 1/2 hour with this racquet. I have never experience anywhere near this much power and control when playing tennis. The ball exploded off my racquet. What's more, I felt absolutely no shock to my arm or wrist, crucial for me as I have a wrist inflammation that kept me off the court for months.

The owner told me that this is a unique technology, much like the suspension of a car.

I spoke to another player who tried the racquet that night, and he loved it and ordered one the next day as I did. Neither of us paid much attention to the looks of the racquet, but it looked pretty much like any other racquet.

How heavy was it (relatively speaking)? Which existing brand/model is it closest to in terms of static weight and swingweight?

Fuji
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM

I'm sorry if this is untrue in advance, but it's a bit fishy that your first post on a forum is promoting how great a relatively unknown brand is. I just hope it doesn't turn out how it has before.

Any who, please enjoy your stay at Talk Tennis! :)

-Fuji

ProPlayer
02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
looks like the old bolt racket thread turned into a blackracquet thread

Shruf
02-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Kinda suspicious...

sampras98
02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
They had a booth at the hall of fame tournament in Newport RI last year, my dad and I went over to take a look. To be honest like most of the people here, I thought the rackets looked cheap and kind of "Walmart" like.

Skanter
02-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Some type of suspension system...

Skanter
02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm sorry if this is untrue in advance, but it's a bit fishy that your first post on a forum is promoting how great a relatively unknown brand is. I just hope it doesn't turn out how it has before.

Any who, please enjoy your stay at Talk Tennis! :)

-Fuji

First post because I was Googling the Bolt racquet after my first experience with it, trying to see if anyone else had used it, and came upon this thread and forum.

I am not fishy, and have no connection to the Bolt company. :-)

Skanter
02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
They had a booth at the hall of fame tournament in Newport RI last year, my dad and I went over to take a look. To be honest like most of the people here, I thought the rackets looked cheap and kind of "Walmart" like.

The look of the racquet may not be impressive, but my first experience with it was incredible. I played with it, did not look at it. :-)

insiderman
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I hope Volkl takes this to Court - as it is a total violation of their Catapult technology - I hope they (Volkl) patented that!?!? Dumb Arse if not!

Skanter
How heavy was it (relatively speaking)? Which existing brand/model is it closest to in terms of static weight and swingweight?

It was 11.2 OZ, heavier than my Wilson Hyper-Hammer 5.2. But it played a lot better. Again, amazing power, control, and no shock to the arm. Specs of present racquets are on the website, new ones will be a bit lighter, don't know if there are other differences.

I only played for 1/2 hour, wish i owned one but have to wait until they arrive in April.

Fuji
First post because I was Googling the Bolt racquet after my first experience with it, trying to see if anyone else had used it, and came upon this thread and forum.

I am not fishy, and have no connection to the Bolt company. :-)

Cool! :)

Thanks for the clarification. It's just that recently we've had a few new users coming to the forums to promote their respective brands relentlessly.

Again, Welcome to Talk Tennis!

-Fuji

Skanter
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Kinda suspicious...

I'm just a 4.5 club player, very excited after playing with the racquet as it played wonderfully. No connection to company...

Skanter
02-28-2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the clarification. It's just that recently we've had a few new users coming to the forums to promote their respective brands relentlessly.

-Fuji

Thanks. I'm an avid club player, play singles and doubles 4X a week. I don't know if there are other racquets with similar technology, but I was pretty blown away after playing with the Bolt. I had NEVER hit a ball with that much pace. The ball seemed to hang on the strings offering more control, and the best part for me was the total lack of any vibration to the arm and wrist. It seemed almost too good to be true.

The few others I spoke to who used it were similarly impressed. I will not make an all-out recommendation, however, until I actually own one, which won't be until April.

anhuynh16
02-28-2012, 05:35 PM

-Fuji

we have?

this is very interesting tech though!

Fuji
02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
we have?

this is very interesting tech though!

Mhmm. See every Donnay thread of late. :razz:

-Fuji

mmk
02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks. I'm an avid club player, play singles and doubles 4X a week. I don't know if there are other racquets with similar technology, but I was pretty blown away after playing with the Bolt. I had NEVER hit a ball with that much pace. The ball seemed to hang on the strings offering more control, and the best part for me was the total lack of any vibration to the arm and wrist. It seemed almost too good to be true.

The few others I spoke to who used it were similarly impressed. I will not make an all-out recommendation, however, until I actually own one, which won't be until April.

So is this a modern, graphite implementation of a T2000?

sureshs
02-29-2012, 08:27 AM
I hope Volkl takes this to Court - as it is a total violation of their Catapult technology - I hope they (Volkl) patented that!?!? Dumb Arse if not!

Ad or Deuce?

sureshs
02-29-2012, 08:29 AM
It was 11.2 OZ, heavier than my Wilson Hyper-Hammer 5.2. But it played a lot better. Again, amazing power, control, and no shock to the arm. Specs of present racquets are on the website, new ones will be a bit lighter, don't know if there are other differences.

I only played for 1/2 hour, wish i owned one but have to wait until they arrive in April.

11.2 strung or unstrung? Was it the number stated on the frame? That would be unstrung (usually).

Was it head heavy or head light?

Skanter
02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
11.2 strung or unstrung? Was it the number stated on the frame? That would be unstrung (usually).

Was it head heavy or head light?

According to Brett Bothwell (Bolt):

The prototype tried was B98.light, 11.2 oz, 3 pts HL.
(I have to assume that is unstrung.)

The production prototype of the B100.light is 10.5 oz, 3 pts HL.

Skanter
02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Again, I'm a 4.5 club player who has been using a Wilson Hyper Hammer Mid-plus for almost 10 years. I've tried newer models, but they all seemed stiffer and heavier than my racquet. I was using Luxilon Timo 18G strings at 62 tension for years, and liked the combination with my racquet. I then started having wrist problems that prevented me from playing for months. I switched to Wilson NXT 18G strings at 52 tension. My wrist has been OK (after cortisone shot) but I felt that I could not play as well with these strings and lower tension.

I just happened to be teamed up in doubles last week with a guy, Brett Bothwell. I asked him what he did for a living, and he said "I make tennis racquets!"

He had some demos in his bag, and offered to let me try one. I was skeptical, and I don't like demoing new racquets as I feel one can injure oneself with a racquet very different from what you are used to.

At that moment they needed someone to play singles, so I volunteered, playing against a very good player (5.0). He didn't even want to play with me, as my doubles play wasn't impressive (I play mostly singles). He reluctantly conceded, and we played for 1/2 hour.

The racquet felt heavier in general and more head-heavy than my Wilson, but the ball exploded off the strings with more pace than I had ever hit. I kept hearing "too good" from my opponent as I kept hitting winner after winner. It also seemed that I had better control, and sweet spot was the entire racquet.

There was also no shock or vibration to my arm and wrist. I was very impressed, to say the least.

That said, 1/2 hour is not enough time to fully evaluate a racquet. I want to hear other people's impressions, and mostly get the racquet and start playing with it (April).

sureshs
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Then it is not for me. 3 points HL (and what felt heavy to you even compared to the Hammer) is too HH for me. I am more of a 6-8 pt HL guy.

That said, it is intriguing. Was it easy to swing on the serve? That is the most important criterion for me now. I have realized that frames don't make much of a difference to me in groundies, but a huge difference in the serve.

Skanter
02-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Then it is not for me. 3 points HL (and what felt heavy to you even compared to the Hammer) is too HH for me. I am more of a 6-8 pt HL guy.

That said, it is intriguing. Was it easy to swing on the serve? That is the most important criterion for me now. I have realized that frames don't make much of a difference to me in groundies, but a huge difference in the serve.

Again, I only played for 1/2 hour, but I think I was serving well. The more HH racquet made me feel and visualize the idea of "throwing the head" up at the ball which automatically gives more wrist snap. Now I find I'm serving better even with my HL Wilson racquet. I do remember the ball seeming to explode with pace off both the groundies and the serve.

What is unusual is that I was able to play well with the racquet from the getgo, without time to get used to it.

MNsilver
03-06-2012, 01:17 PM
It's a classic "Bradism", nothing more, nothing less.