PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RD 7 Recommended String/Tension

Swedish9
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey TT

Just looking for some opinions from you 4.0 + players and or Yonex RD 7 Owners out there on what strings i should put into my Yonex RD 7's.

I usually like to use different poly strings in the mains and gut in the crosses, however with the flex being so low ( Flex = 54 ) not sure if maybe a full poly setup is better. I have been thinking of trying a Solinco Tour Bite / Natural Gut set up. I would like to know the opinions of what you TT Community think the "Ultimate Setup" would be.

goldenyama
02-26-2012, 10:19 PM
I loved Topsin CyberBlue 17g with Topspin Fibre Touch(low powered multi) 16g crosses in mine.

If you post this in the Classic Racquets section you may get more responses.

auzzieizm
02-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I have full Solinco TourBite 17g in mine strung at 62 lbs, and it does not suit the frame at all! I liked it so much better with 6 year old multi- which is weird because I usually play with full poly.

blipblop
02-27-2012, 09:36 AM
I have full Solinco TourBite 17g in mine strung at 62 lbs, and it does not suit the frame at all! I liked it so much better with 6 year old multi- which is weird because I usually play with full poly.

I second this motion. I didn't strictly use TourBite in this frame, but I used a full poly similar to TourBite @56lbs, and I have used TourBite in other frames. Either way, I would like to believe it is a myth that manufacturers make rackets suited to the strings of its era, but in this case I think it's true. Back then polys were not as popular as they are today.

Something about not only the flexibility of the RD-7, but the way that it flexes, makes a full bed of a stiffer string feel odd. I found I was better off with a very soft poly or a multi @ high tensions. And keep in mind that TourBite is by no means on the upper end of stiffness for a poly. I would recommend Technifibre Biphase @60lbs, Multifeel if you are on a budget.

I've never been into Multi(or Gut)/Poly hybrids, so I can't comment on how those feel. I don't like mixing materials in hybrids.