PDA

View Full Version : Do my strings lose tension in my racket even whie not playing

TommieF
02-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Do you wait to string your racket until the night before a big match?? I guess my question is... Is it ok to string your rackets a week before a tournament and not have to worry about losing tension? Tension loss just sitting in your bag in the closet??

lgbalfa
02-26-2012, 08:06 PM
tension loss does occur even just sitting in your bag for a week.

how noticable i am not sure.

TennisCJC
02-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Yes, tension is lost even if you just store the racket in your bag. From what I have read, the drop is biggest in the first 48 hours. This is true for all string types. You can get a dynamic tension measurement device if you are concerned with this but I use the bang it on my knee and listen to the pitch method to determine if it has lost 2 much tension. My back up method is bang it on the butt of my hand. Works for me.

6-2/6-4/6-0
02-27-2012, 06:30 AM
It depends more on what the string is, and what your stringing habit is. I would say that consistency is more important than absolute values. If you want to string a week before a big match do it that way all the time. Then the racket should always feel very similarly to the last time you played a big match assuming you keep everything else the same and don't let the rackets you are using in the mean time deviate too much from that either.

mikeler
02-27-2012, 07:09 AM
I have RacquetTune for the iPhone. Most of the tension loss is during the first 24 hours for the multifilaments I'm currently testing. Have not used it with poly yet. After that, it loses a percent or so each match I use it.

NLBwell
02-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Because of the first day tension loss, I never play with a racket during the first 24 hours after being strung. Otherwise, the string will be losing significant tension WHILE you are playing. Changing characteristics during a match can mess you up.