PDA

View Full Version : My first Prestige,and my first Mid

TheLambsheadrep
02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Just got a Liquidmetal Prestige Mid, and I have never had a mid sized racket before. In fact, I am used to playing with 107sq in. and 102sq in. rackets, but recently started hitting with a PT 280 right before the fall tennis season ended and quite enjoyed it (for a 97sq in. frame, I hardly any shanks. It did feel a little different, but not in a bad way, and I was still able to play at about the same competitive level that I would with my other rackets).

I got the prestige for free, so its not like i picked it up but now regret it bc i didnt realize how different it is from my other sticks. I dont know how often ill actually use it, but I am interested in stringing it up asap. Given what Ive said about my other racket head sizes and the success (for the very most part) with the PT 280 head size, how does everyone think ill do with the 93sq in. off the bat? I had been looking to decrease the power of my other rackets, so i am interested to see how a smaller head size/thinner beam will feel in the power department.

P.S. Were all LM Prestige Mids made in Austria, or at least designed there? the one I got had no but cap

pheonix6579
02-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Mid frames are a blast to play with. I am by no way, shape, or form good enough to use them on a regular basis (my game is just too lazy :) ). When I am looking for a challenge when playing weaker opponents or just in the mood for something different I grab on of mine.

The biggest difference is mental really. As far as actual head size the difference is minimal really. Just have to concentrate more to really benefit from the positives of a mid frame.

TheLambsheadrep
02-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Lining up the mid over even one of my oversized rackets, theres not much a difference, essentially just a little more than the frame's thickness length (looking at the string bed) less area on the string bed of the mid. but if you hold them side by side, theres a much more visual difference. I did use the LM Radical MP early in highs chool, so with that and the PT i do have some background outside of OS rackets. I just cant wait for the snow to melt and the nets to come up...

I was looking on TW, and the LM Prestige Mid actually got better overall scores than the MG and FXP Mids. I know people are loving the Youtek/Youtek IG Prestige Mid, but what is the public opinion on the LM Prestige Mid compared to others (only going a few generations before/after)?

maxpotapov
02-27-2012, 09:44 AM
I was looking on TW, and the LM Prestige Mid actually got better overall scores than the MG and FXP Mids. I know people are loving the Youtek/Youtek IG Prestige Mid, but what is the public opinion on the LM Prestige Mid compared to others (only going a few generations before/after)?

LM Mid is still made in Austria, sometimes assembled in Czech Republic.
Some people like them, some people hate them, there is no consensus like with previous generations when everybody likes PC600. Given the right string setup (like full syn gut, fresh), LM Mid might feel pretty good, but it is still way underpowered for modern game and feels like PC600 with chewing gum mixed in, if you know what I mean. It's a better option than FXP Mid or any newer generation, but IG Mid is regarded as "new Classic" version of Prestige.

TheLambsheadrep
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
LM Mid is still made in Austria, sometimes assembled in Czech Republic.

but it is still way underpowered for modern game and feels like PC600 with chewing gum mixed in, if you know what I mean.

but IG Mid is regarded as "new Classic" version of Prestige.

Good to know it's still Austrian/Czech quality

I do not know what you mean haha

Ya, everyone seems to like this one, I hit a few shots with the non IG version and it was pretty cool

Deuces Wild
02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
I haven't struggled with any racquet as I have with the LM Prestige. At least I know now what people mean when they say "the stick is too demanding".

And the head size is closer to 89.5

bc-05
02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
funny thing here.. i play with a prestige classic 600.. if you've played with both lm prestige mid and pc600 you will know what maxpotapov is saying with "playing with a pc mixed with chewing gum"

it kinda feels like the pc600 is the purest form of what the racquet is supposed to be like.. and the liquidmetal try to mimick it, but its like they're doing too much to it.. (e.g. a chef putting too much ingredient into one dish because they try too hard)

thats the feeling im getting.. so for a pc600 user, i really despise the feeling of lm prestige.. since i can't really get the plowing and slicing power that i get with my pc600.. but since you didnt mention uve used the pc600 u dont have any comparison..

so my suggestion will be just enjoy the lm prestige and never pick up a pc600 because imo you will dump the lm prestige like an old gf :p

TheLambsheadrep
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
well, for a pc600, that might not be a bad thing haha

fuzz nation
02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I keep a couple different pairs of mids around; one set of Prince NXG's and a set of LM Prestiges. Both are hefty, very soft, and while I like the NXG's in their stock layout (13.0 oz., 10 pts. HL), I found the need to add a lot of lead tape to the handles of my LMP's in order to get a more useful balance in them. My Prestiges now weigh in at 13.4 oz., but have a balance up around 11 pts. HL.

While I don't remember the original stock weight of my LMP's, they were probably at least 12.5 oz., but balanced down around 5 or 6 pts. HL. For me, that was way too sluggish of a setup and I could barely even use those frames on the practice courts before I tuned them. Now I can enjoy these racquets for some slugging, but they're a little slow for really serious doubles. Despite the rock-solid heft, their significant flex makes for rather mellow volleys unless I make a good deliberate move on the ball.

Since I'm 46 and somewhat beyond my warrior years, I'm not always in the form I need to be to really swing these racquets well, but when my feet are quick and my timing is good and early, these Prestiges just crave a full swipe at the ball. They really only work for me when I'm playing hard hitting singles or getting in a good practice court grind with a hitting pal. If I'm filling in with my Dad's doubles group, playing some 3/4 speed mixed doubles, or doing some lesson work with a relative beginner, this is the last racquet I want in my hand. It only runs at two speeds for me: stop and GO!

Because these racquets demand early timing and a full swing to work the ball well, I love them for "training aids" on the practice court. If I'm muscling my move to the ball too much with either my strokes or my service motion, these things let me know in a hurry. While they have huge potential to pack a mean punch on the ball, they also behave like a rather dead fish for me if I swing them wrong. These racquets were instrumental in my rebuilding a strong baseline game some years back, so while I only use them occasionally nowadays, I'm happy knowing that they're handy.

I string my LMP's with 17 gauge syn. gut tensioned in the high 50's. If a racquet with this amount of heft and softness isn't familiar for you, I strongly recommend turning in two or three sessions with it on the practice courts before trying to put it to work in a match setting. Otherwise it will likely be frustrating and potentially tough on the shoulder without proper swing timing.

TheLambsheadrep
02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
I keep a couple different pairs of mids around; one set of Prince NXG's and a set of LM Prestiges. Both are hefty, very soft, and while I like the NXG's in their stock layout (13.0 oz., 10 pts. HL), I found the need to add a lot of lead tape to the handles of my LMP's in order to get a more useful balance in them. My Prestiges now weigh in at 13.4 oz., but have a balance up around 11 pts. HL.

While I don't remember the original stock weight of my LMP's, they were probably at least 12.5 oz., but balanced down around 5 or 6 pts. HL. For me, that was way too sluggish of a setup and I could barely even use those frames on the practice courts before I tuned them. Now I can enjoy these racquets for some slugging, but they're a little slow for really serious doubles. Despite the rock-solid heft, their significant flex makes for rather mellow volleys unless I make a good deliberate move on the ball.

Since I'm 46 and somewhat beyond my warrior years, I'm not always in the form I need to be to really swing these racquets well, but when my feet are quick and my timing is good and early, these Prestiges just crave a full swipe at the ball. They really only work for me when I'm playing hard hitting singles or getting in a good practice court grind with a hitting pal. If I'm filling in with my Dad's doubles group, playing some 3/4 speed mixed doubles, or doing some lesson work with a relative beginner, this is the last racquet I want in my hand. It only runs at two speeds for me: stop and GO!

Because these racquets demand early timing and a full swing to work the ball well, I love them for "training aids" on the practice court. If I'm muscling my move to the ball too much with either my strokes or my service motion, these things let me know in a hurry. While they have huge potential to pack a mean punch on the ball, they also behave like a rather dead fish for me if I swing them wrong. These racquets were instrumental in my rebuilding a strong baseline game some years back, so while I only use them occasionally nowadays, I'm happy knowing that they're handy.

I string my LMP's with 17 gauge syn. gut tensioned in the high 50's. If a racquet with this amount of heft and softness isn't familiar for you, I strongly recommend turning in two or three sessions with it on the practice courts before trying to put it to work in a match setting. Otherwise it will likely be frustrating and potentially tough on the shoulder without proper swing timing.

my stock LM prestige mid (it came with a leather grip) was 12.455oz and 8.5pts head light (I do have plenty of lead tape to customize it, though).

You have a very interesting perspective on their function; I like that you use them as a great weapon and as a learning tool. It seems like they force you to learn, and then you are greatly rewarded for doing so.

your "17 gauge syn. gut tensioned in the high 50's" sounds perfect for me. i've always strung my rackets at the middle of the recommended range, which is 57 or 63, and i have started using 17g string.

TheLambsheadrep
04-25-2012, 06:36 AM
just got it strung with Kirschbaum Pro Line I 17/Wilson Extreme 17. its been raining the last week here in upstate NY, but i am super pumped to try out my first Mid hopefully within the week! Also, if the string combo sounds weird, it's bc im trying out a poly/syn gut hybrid for the first time, too haha

KFwinds
04-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I've hit with every Prestige Mid to date, and they are a lot of fun. I had the most trouble with the LM, however. As others have stated, the feel is "off" (I felt this way about the FXP also) and I didn't enjoy the way it was weighted. It is, I believe, the heaviest of the modern models and played kind of "club-like" for me. I do think the newer ones (Youteks) are an improvement, but so far my favorite has been the Microgel version. Nice blend of the old-school and newer technology IMO.

Lambo
04-25-2012, 11:18 AM
LM prestige feels off at first. But if you get used to it and can adapt to it not a bad rac. If you have been playing with oversize racquets just enjoy the increased control playing with a mid. But your fitness levels need to be top notch.

TheLambsheadrep
04-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I've hit with every Prestige Mid to date, and they are a lot of fun. I had the most trouble with the LM, however. As others have stated, the feel is "off" (I felt this way about the FXP also) and I didn't enjoy the way it was weighted. It is, I believe, the heaviest of the modern models and played kind of "club-like" for me.

My LM Prestige Mid with the string in it now comes to 9-10pts head light and 13.035 oz. I think the level of headlightness will prevent the club feel. what were your prestige specs?

KFwinds
04-25-2012, 10:56 PM
My LM Prestige Mid with the string in it now comes to 9-10pts head light and 13.035 oz. I think the level of headlightness will prevent the club feel. what were your prestige specs?

I couldn't tell you; I demoed it for a week when it first came out (I think about '03?) and didn't like it so I never purchased one. At the time I was playing with the Classic Mid and the i.Prestige mid, which are far better (for me) than the LM. I gave up on the Prestige mids altogether after the FXP came out, as I felt they were going in the wrong direction. It wasn't until last year that I finally tried the Microgel, and loved it - I ended up picking up a used one and have since tried out the first Youtek model as well. Haven't hit with the IG yet, but I do think that Head is making a nice recovery with this line.

FWIW, the Prestige is not my main stick, but it's great to have one around to hit with once in a while. Really my all-time favorite midsize, and I've hit with and/or owned many including the Graphite Edge, PS 85, Max 200G, and Yonex R22...

pshulam
04-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Haven't hit with the IG yet, but I do think that Head is making a nice recovery with this line.
It's very, very similar to the PC600 in terms of feel according to many posts in this forum.

.. I've hit with and/or owned many including the Graphite Edge, PS 85, Max 200G, and Yonex R22...
Many posters have followed a similar path - I am included.

vsbabolat
04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
^^^^^
HEAD did a great job on the IG Prestige Mid not so much with the IG Prestige MP. The IG Prestige Mid is very close to the PC600. Has that nice muted feel similar to the PC600. I found the IG Prestige MP to be still metallic in sound and feel.

maxpotapov
04-26-2012, 10:18 AM
^^^^^
HEAD did a great job on the IG Prestige Mid not so much with the IG Prestige MP. The IG Prestige Mid is very close to the PC600. Has that nice muted feel similar to the PC600. I found the IG Prestige MP to be still metallic in sound and feel.

Thanks for this comment, solved my dilemma. I started thinking about transition from Mid to MP, but metallic sound and feel - no thanks. I remember trying YT MP, now I don't want even a hint of that feel and sound.