PDA

View Full Version : Arm friendly players rackets

bosworthbatter
02-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Hey guys just wanted to pick your brains about arm friendly rackets out there for the a grade/level 4 player. Got a bad wrist which is turning my single handed backhand into a defensive slicer... have tried the babolats and the kneissl black star (my wrist loves the kneissl but the 110 head is not the most practical for singles). Any advise would be most welcome thanks

Clintspin
02-27-2012, 03:57 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ProKennex_Heritage_Type_C_Redondo_MP/descpageRCPK-KTCRMP.html

pheonix6579
02-27-2012, 04:38 AM
Prince EXO3 Tour

minitraveller
02-27-2012, 04:47 AM
Hey guys just wanted to pick your brains about arm friendly rackets out there for the a grade/level 4 player. Got a bad wrist which is turning my single handed backhand into a defensive slicer... have tried the babolats and the kneissl black star (my wrist loves the kneissl but the 110 head is not the most practical for singles). Any advise would be most welcome thanks

Which Babolats did you try? I just switched to the Pure Storms and really love how they feel, ESPECIALLY for my one hand backhand. Mine is just slightly leaded up.

mikeler
02-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Pro Kennex line, Prince Exo3 Tour are great. The original Babolat PST is decent too.

fuzz nation
02-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Anything bothering you other than your wrist? Just curious.

The Volkl C10 has taken care of me for a few years, but I should note that I don't have any chronic issues or injuries to worry about. I've always liked heavier, more stable racquets for my all-court style of play. Among other things, they bring more authority to my volleys and also help me get greater bite on my slice when I need it.

Softer frames have boosted my baseline control and I also re-learned a one-handed topspin backhand a while ago. Where my old stiff ProStaffs might have given me a twinge in the elbow here and there, I can play a very busy schedule with these Volkls (strung with 17 ga. syn. gut) with no penalty. Although they furnish me with the comfort of a very soft racquet, they also give me more "pop" or liveliness than lots of other flexible options I've sampled. My frames have some lead on their handles for extra head-light balance, but these racquets have also responded well for players here who have tuned them with a little lead on the hoop.

A couple other racquets that could be worth a look include the Yonex RD Ti-80, Dunlop 200 Tours, ProKennex Redondo and Black Ace - both models have a mid and a mid-plus. Pacific probably has a cozy player or two available and Donnay has a whole bundle of options - they've earned a hearty following in a big hurry and a number of their frames are a more narrow-beam old-school cozy design.

loosegroove
02-27-2012, 06:48 AM
I also have wrist soreness occasionally so I searched for a racket that played well and was comfortable on my wrist. I ended up with the Exo3 Tour and I am very happy with my choice. The Becker London was also very plush and comfortable but I just couldn't gel my strokes with it for some reason.

Ramon
02-27-2012, 07:28 AM
I recently wrote some reviews on arm-friendly racquets that I demoed:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413091

All of them are worth a demo. I eventually settled on the Pro Kennex Ki 5x, and I'm happy about my decision.

SJSA
02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
I have TE and have Prince EXO3 Tour 16x18 and Volkl Power Bridge 10 MP (10.9 oz).
They are both arm-friendly rackets.
I replaced PB 10 with a leather grip and added lead tapes on handle. Its current weight is 11.7 oz (strung). Love it!
I don't know about your style but Tour is for spin and PB 10 is for control.
I just ordered Vantage Bastcore BC30.

gsuede
02-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Prince Rebel 98 I have had 2 elbow operations and this racket feels great better then the PK 5g i was using

getsby
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
I agree, C10Pro really arm friendly racquet. Provided that your problems in the past. However, in my experience of chronic elbow pain racquet is not saved. The yield in this case a one-to refrain from tennis in the presence of severe pain:cry:

netguy
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
All racquets are arm friendly if you have the right technique. If you already have a wrist problem, I would invest time and money in finding a good coach in order to correct your technique.
My two cents.

scotus
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
All racquets are arm friendly if you have the right technique. If you already have a wrist problem, I would invest time and money in finding a good coach in order to correct your technique.
My two cents.

Take your 2 cents elsewhere.

Ramon
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM
I agree, C10Pro really arm friendly racquet. Provided that your problems in the past. However, in my experience of chronic elbow pain racquet is not saved. The yield in this case a one-to refrain from tennis in the presence of severe pain:cry:

I know that's true in some cases. In my case, I was experiencing elbow pain, but switching strings improved it and then switching racquets improved it further. I must be an unusual case, as are several other people on this board.

My two cents.

Sounds about as useful as telling us that if we hit the sweetspot every time, we will never have pain.

bosworthbatter
02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys - have got some research to do now...my technique is fine (well it should be after 16 years of coaching) - have just sprained my wrist too many times as a kid and now get tendonitis in the wrist if I really miss hit a ball. Will give the prince and pro-kennex models a crack

Timbo's hopeless slice
02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
check out teh Dunlop Bio 200, with your technique it should be near perfect.

I play with V-Core 95Ds, but they are just a tad stiffer, so maybe not..

bosworthbatter
02-27-2012, 11:35 PM
I recently wrote some reviews on arm-friendly racquets that I demoed:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413091

All of them are worth a demo. I eventually settled on the Pro Kennex Ki 5x, and I'm happy about my decision.

Thanks Ramon - this was a great reference

michael valek
02-28-2012, 01:31 AM
hi bosworth, the current black star as a replacement for you old one, is 100 sq inches and better fior singles play...

McLovin
02-28-2012, 02:38 AM
I believe I've said this before, but traditionally, Dunlop, Volkl and Fischer (now Pacific) are known for being arm-friendly racquets. Fischer/Pacific are usually associated with being low-powered, while Volkl frames have a bit more pop. Of course, you can always augment the power with different strings/tensions. Dunlop has a different type of feel, one that I didn't gel with, but others really seem to like.

In addition to the C10 Pro and X-Force Pro mentioned above & in reviews, I'd take a look at some of the Boris Becker frames as well. I found the Melbourne to be a real nice stick, and others enjoy the London, especially with a little added weight.

Master of the Obvious here, but ultimately, you'll have to demo some sticks & decide for yourself. I know I tried 8-10 frames before settling on the X-Force Pro.

scotus
02-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Master of the Obvious here, but ultimately, you'll have to demo some sticks & decide for yourself. I know I tried 8-10 frames before settling on the X-Force Pro.

X-Force Pro, a very arm-friendly frame indeed.

bc-05
02-28-2012, 03:47 AM
i would agree with the others.. of all the frames that i've tried.. i guess the pro kennex kinetic series.. from all the ones that ive tried anyway..

but my favourite is still the pc600 tho

bosworthbatter
02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Did not realise that the latest Black Star was a 100Sq! Kneissl has not been sold in australia since the 80's so would have to import/buy to demo but still a strong contender - thanks

bosworthbatter
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
hi bosworth, the current black star as a replacement for you old one, is 100 sq inches and better fior singles play...

have just done an internet search - anyone know where you can purchase the new kneissl 100Sq?

vegasgt3
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I second the Dunlop Bio 200. Ive had elbow issues and the 57 flex is very plush

michael valek
03-02-2012, 12:21 AM
have just done an internet search - anyone know where you can purchase the new kneissl 100Sq?

email me michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com - i have a source for you.