PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Head

Joe Oldschool
02-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Going to Hilton Head in June this year and will be staying at the Port Royal Village. Someone told me that there may be grass courts there. I have never played on grass before and would love to. Anyone out there know the scoop on Hilton Head Grass?

Are the grass courts part of a "private club" or something? Basically, what I want to know is...how much $$$ are they going to try to squeeze out of me to play on grass for an hour?

Brian Purdie
02-24-2004, 06:48 PM
I know the Hilton Head people well over there at Port Royal. Dana (a man with the big coverall hat) is the head pro. Mike and another one the fellas, a South American pro, are all excellent in their own right. I've taken several lessons from all, and would recc Mike if he's still there. Dana is great too, though.

As for the grass courts, it's $50 an hour per person, or $50 for a lesson for that matter. They enjoy teaching one on one, though not on the grass. They're not stuck up about it at all (they encouraged me to slide and buy grass shoes and rip up the turf), but they know you probably won't get the most out your experience given the surface. It's very unforgiving. I have played on grass at Destin, Jax, and HH and HH is the best, though I've heard the Newport, RI courts are like Wimby. These aren't Wimby. It's only one court that rotates throughout the large grass space throughout the year. It might be nicer if they cut the grass more than once a week (as most are cut each day).

Yes, you can play them, but only as a novelty. I would grab an old buddy on your level of play or pay the pro for an hour hitting session. You may like it, as I did, but everyone else I invited refuses to go back and play with me.

Is it a private club. Yes and No. You may schedule to play on the courts only one day in advance, unless you are member. If you schedule a hitting session with a pro, you may schedule anytime in advance for whichever surface you like (grass, hard, or green clay).

In fact, if you're a 3.5, please let me know and I may meet you there for a match. This goes for the poster or anyone else in the Savannah, HH area. Thanks.

And BTW, you get a free can of fresh white tennis balls to play with (or keep) for your $50.

Oh yes, one other thing. JUNE IS HOT. I almost died of heat exhaustion playing in May. You may not play the courts before noon b/c of the moisture on them, and you might rip them apart. Schedule to play after 4pm, and be sure to avoid the Wimby wanna-be's there in June as everyone uses that court for those 2 weeks!

chaus
02-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Brian.
There are 3 of us arriving on Hilton Head this coming Monday (the 5th). We will be staying in the Port Royal complex (at Island Links) and need a fourth for doubles each day for the week. If you are interested please let me know.

chaus
02-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Brian,
Correction: arriving on Monday, the 1st and need a fourth thru and including Friday, the 5th.

Brian Purdie
02-27-2004, 02:57 PM
holy cow! that's a nice offer, but I'm stuck working my Intensive Care Unit month starting Monday (and these patients are really needy folks). I'm really sorry, but I'll be there in late April, May, June on vacation until I start my new job there in July if you plan revisit.

tennisbody
02-28-2004, 04:05 AM
Hilton Head is my favorite place for tennis vacation. This place has everything you need to play tennis or golf and enjoy your vacation at the same time. For your wife or girlfriend there are plenty of good restaurants and shopping places around. There are two beautiful marinas with all kinds of rental bouts, fishing bouts or jet-ski for rent. As soon as you get there you'll get this funny feeling that life slows down, in positive way. The weather is year around, lots of sunshine but not to hot. If rains, usually afternoon and 1-2 hours only. Hilton Head is an island surrounded by warm Atlantic Ocean and connected with the land by bridges only. Every resort have own tennis and golf teaching team. Plus you will have 2 professional academies to choose from. Van Meer is one of them. I live in New Jersey, 800 miles from this place, but I go there as many times as I can (12 h driving one way). So, if you look for perfect tennis vacation, hot almost tropical weather, warm ocean , beautiful beaches, good shopping and restaurants, fishing , swimming, horse riding, kayaking, biking...you name it...go there. You won't regret this.

SteveI
03-27-2004, 03:34 AM
Hi,

I will be on Hilton Head April 2nd-10th if anyone is looking for hitting partners or a 4th for doubles etc..

Steve Insinna

Brian Purdie
04-01-2004, 09:20 PM
I will be in Savannah (and in very close proximety of Hilton Head) PERMANENTLY starting April 20-ish after I get married and we move down. oh yeah!