PDA

View Full Version : Which brand's handle shape is close to Wilson's?

Dennis Chan
02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Which brand's handle shape is close to Wilson's?

From memory it looks like Dunlop, Prince or Babolat. Can anyone confirm/correct please?

Thanks in advance.

dParis
02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Dunlop.

10 overgrips

anhuynh16
02-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Dunlop.

10 overgrips

+1

I've been using Dunlop for 5 years and I'm about to switch to Wilson and it feels perfect.

Ramon
02-27-2012, 11:08 AM
I recently used a Babolat. I can confirm that Prince and Wilson are similar to Babolat. They are all more rounded than Head and Volkyl.

sargeinaz
02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Yonex is the closest to me

morten
02-28-2012, 06:34 AM
pro kennex, babolat is pretty similar

Jonny S&V
02-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Babolat, Wilson, and Dunlop all use similar, if not the same, handle shape. Volkl and Head use a more rectangular shaped handle, and Prince is all alone with it's more squarely constructed handle. These are all as far as mainstream racquet producers are concerned.

Power Player
02-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Something about the Wilson handle is different than others. It is pretty subtle, but may be in the buttcap..who knows, but while Dunlop is similar, it is not the same.

Babolat is more rounded to me and is not the same either.

Gee
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
pro kennex, babolat is pretty similar
Pro Kennex is absolutely not. It is much more rectangular than Wilson.

scotus
02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Something about the Wilson handle is different than others. It is pretty subtle, but may be in the buttcap..who knows, but while Dunlop is similar, it is not the same.

Judging from Vantage's website that shows you handle shape options, Dunlop is a bit more rectangular than Wilson. Prince is even more squarish than Wilson.

Gee
02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Let's mention the grip shapes of the different makes from rectangular to round:

Head -> Völkl -> Dunlop -> Tecnifibre -> Wilson/Babolat/Yonex -> Prince.

Hidious
02-28-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm not sure. The Tecnifibres vo2 i have are a lot closer to head than dunlop. They have a rectangular shape while Dunlop is square.

Also, Dunlop has changed it's buttcap for the Biomimetic line. It is a lot more flared than the previous ones and i personally cannot stand it.

li0scc0
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Head Volkl and Tecnifibre are the most rectangular. Pro Kennex rectangular but slightly less so.
In the middle would be Gamma, Dunlop, Babolat, Wilson, Pacific, and Yonex
Most square is Prince. Old Fischer was square as well.

Gee
02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure. The Tecnifibres vo2 i have are a lot closer to head than dunlop. They have a rectangular shape while Dunlop is square.

Also, Dunlop has changed it's buttcap for the Biomimetic line. It is a lot more flared than the previous ones and i personally cannot stand it.
You have a point there. The pre vo2 T-Fight models have a more squarely gripshape whereas the VO2 models are more rectangular.

un6a
02-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Head Volkl and Tecnifibre are the most rectangular. Pro Kennex rectangular but slightly less so.
In the middle would be Gamma, Dunlop, Babolat, Wilson, Pacific, and Yonex
Most square is Prince. Old Fischer was square as well.

This is correct. I personally prefer dunlop and prince grip shape above anything else.

sphinx780
02-29-2012, 07:09 AM
If you want to get the Wilson shape out of a Volkl or Boris Becker: 4 layers of athletic tape from any trainer, on the left and right sides of the pallet.

I used Wilson for almost 20 years and this ends up with a virtually identical feel imo.

li0scc0
02-29-2012, 07:18 AM
If you want to get the Wilson shape out of a Volkl or Boris Becker: 4 layers of athletic tape from any trainer, on the left and right sides of the pallet.

I used Wilson for almost 20 years and this ends up with a virtually identical feel imo.

Or buy the Attiva pallet. That provides a near-enough shape.

bluetrain4
02-29-2012, 08:59 AM
They're all pretty close except Head and Dunlop. Though Dunlop has become more square over the years.

Automatix
02-29-2012, 12:56 PM

IMHO everything except Tecnifibre is correct. Tecnifibre feels to me very close to Head.

red rook
03-01-2012, 03:13 AM
I felt that the wilson is more square shaped than babolat.