PDA

View Full Version : Equivalent to Prince Tour Diablo Midplus

phaedrus
02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
I am demo-ing rackets, looking for a head light, heavier racket, and the Price Tour Diablo Midplus came up. However, having read about the racket, it seems it has been, or soon will be, discontinued. As such, can someone point me to a Prince racket that is the equivalent?

Thanks...

corners
02-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Try this tool: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/racquetmatch.cgi

thug the bunny
02-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Yo phaedrus! Been a long time since I last read Zen and TAoMM. Classic read.

I had the Diablo Mid, and liked it even though it does not get a lot of love here on TT. However the Midplus gets even more negative comments than the Mid, just FYI.

There's all kinds of head light mid and midplus sticks around 12 oz. I personally like the Redondo and Speed Pro, and most of all, the Beast - KPS88.

kabrac
02-28-2012, 08:52 AM
I played with the midplus for some time. Just add about 4 inches of lead @ 3/9. This will make it stable. Highly control/feel oriented racquet with good topspin provided you put a decent poly in it like luxilon bb timo. Wouldn't go thicker than 16ga. Nothing really on the market that I can compare it to. You also need to be pretty strong if you're going to be swinging freely with this thing. Lots of control/feel, power comes from footwork/technique.

bluetrain4
02-28-2012, 09:32 AM
That's a good question. The Diablo midplus is fairly unique, since it has such a thin beam, yet is 100 sq inches.

I thought maybe the ProKennex Redondo midplus, but that is substantially heavier.

The Prince Triple Threat Warrior midplus (an underrated frame that is STILL for sale on TW) is similar in size and weight, but has a considerably thicker beam and stiffness).

There's just not a lot of basic, thin-beamed frames left, espcially frames that are 100 sq inches, as is the Diablo MP.

blipblop
02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
At the rate that manufacturers pump out new rackets, nearly all current models will soon be discontinued.

In fact these tour diablos (like the TT warriors) are STILL up for sale new on TW, as bluetrain4 mentioned. This is an extended run, and to me shows that there is would be no real issue in finding more in the near future.

For instance, I'd wager that one would be taking a bigger "risk" (in not having a readily-available replacement) by picking up nearly any other racket. I say if you like the Tour Diablos, stock up now, and hit up the Bay once TW sells out.

Only real way to future-proof yourself is to stock, stock, stock. If you are simply looking for similar frames, then that's another matter.

kabrac
02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
The closest thing would be the new Wilson ProStaff 6.1 100 16x18. It is also 27.25in., same head size, string pattern, beam width, maybe a tad underweight though, which you can change with lead tape.