PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use a smaller-than-grip-size butt cap?

Dennis Chan
02-27-2012, 08:17 AM
For example, if your racket is 4 1/2, do you use a 4 3/8 or 4 1/4 butt cap on purpose? If so, what is the advantage of doing so?

Thanks in advance.

bigmatt
02-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Aside from sanding down the base of the handle (which you can't do on many frames these days), how would you make it work?
Splitting the butt cap in two and attaching it wouldn't help, either, as it'd then be just as big as the other one.

Dave M
02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
I once had a grip size 5 yonex frame (I think it as yonex it was a while ago now) with a size 3 butcap.Tight fit but it was what i had here!

TaihtDuhShaat
02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I tried it once, it just lets you hold the racquet off the end a little more.

scotus
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
At least on a Head YT Prestige, it is possible to go down 1 size in buttcaps without any shaving of the handle, because buttcaps are not all that tight-fitting.

LeeD
02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
As poster #4 said, a shaved smaller buttcap increases the effective length of the grip, allowing you to hold farther down, so you have effectively a longer racket to hit with. Some like this feel, some just hold onto the buttcap without complaining.

corners
02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
It is possible to shave down the end of handle to fit a smaller butt cap on, but messy. One thing you can try is wrap athetic tape only on the handle, but not on the buttcap. Two or three layers will do. This effectively reduces the size of the cap in relation to the handle. Then install a thinner grip to get close to your normal grip size. This method works best if you buy a size small and build up, then you don't have to figure out light grips.