PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Kippermate: main racquet o3 hybrid shark:boomerang?

dman72
02-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Will I need to get a boomerang tool in order to string my hybrid shark, or does that only apply to the racquets with ports all over?

dman72
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Nevermind, found the answer with that wonderful search engine. Looks like that tool is only needed for the crosses with o ports, and the shark only has them on the mains.

That's a relief.

rich s
02-27-2012, 01:04 PM
even if it (the racquet) did the need the boomerang... you wouldn't need it.... the Klippermate has a turntable brake..... at least mine did.

KerryR
02-27-2012, 01:18 PM
I didn't find the K-mates brake to be very effective for my O-port racket-- none of the holes for the brake ever ended up in the right place to work very well most of the time. Easier to use a 50/50 or S-hook, IMO.

dman72
02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I didn't find the K-mates brake to be very effective for my O-port racket-- none of the holes for the brake ever ended up in the right place to work very well most of the time. Easier to use a 50/50 or S-hook, IMO.

Please elaborate...I do have an old o3 tour demo I bought that I'd like to at least practice on, and that has ports all around.

KerryR
02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
50/50 starts the crosses in the middle of the racket and works up and down from there simultaneously (well, alternately, really). Makes the string location problem in the O-holes irrelevant, and it's pretty easy and convenient with flying clamps, not so much with fixed clamps... Irvin has a YouTube video on it.

The S-hook thing: Buy a metal S-hook from the hardware store, big enough to hook the bridge between O-holes. You'll probably need to do some minor bending. It's placed on the outside of the racket, one hook hooks the bridge below the current hole, while the upper hook, if you have the right size S-hook (bring your racket to the store with you), will be close to the bottom of the problematic hole you're about to thread. The string is hooked with the top hook and held in place close to the lower edge of the O-hole while the string is tensioned. There's a thread fairly recent thread here on it...

You can also just brace the racket handle against your thigh to hold it in the right place to keep the string against the correct part of the o-hole. This only works with a drop weight machine; any small movement of the racket is largely compensated for by movement of the weight. Most folks feel this is poor practice...

Irvin
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
If you are stringing using the 50/50 pattern on a KM you may not start in the center of the racket. I would mount the racket so the pivot point on the turntable is as high as you can get it. Which mean the throat mount should be at the end of the swivel bar. The 50/50 pattern is starting with one string below the pivot and one string above. With the racket mounted lower on the turn table you will only have any issue with a couple of ports. But using the 50/50 there is no problem ever.

EDIT: If you use the 50/50 pattern you want to mount the racket so it is centered on the turntable and not off to one side. String two crosses towards the head then two towards the throat. Continue until done.

dman72
03-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Klippermate seems like a good company. Machine arrived in 2 days, a bunch of free stuff with it..I ordered a bunch of extra also, to avoid paying shipping... figured I'll use them eventually anyway.

On first glance their strings appear to be clones of the big name stuff. Is this marketing hype or or do they actually play that way? It came with one package of synthetic gut, an RPM blast clone, and a big banger clone. I bought some of their 18 gauge Kevlar and a some multis.