PDA

View Full Version : Most popular college racquet?

shake&bake
02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
What are all of the guys swinging now a days in the NCAA? Is the most popular the Pure Drive or the Pure Drive Roddick?

tomaskei123
02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
What are all of the guys swinging now a days in the NCAA? Is the most popular the Pure Drive or the Pure Drive Roddick?

mostly prestige line and purestorm tours

edman9898
02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Prestige MP's, PST's, and the Wilson 95's.

gameboy
02-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I have seen a ton of Wilsons and Babolats, but have not seen that many Heads...

The Wreck
02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
The entire University of Georgia top 6 all use Babolat Pure Drive (Roddicks) or AeroPros.

ZeroSkid
02-27-2012, 07:12 PM
A lot of people in my university use the six one 95 and pure drives

[d]ragon
02-27-2012, 07:12 PM
The last tournament I went to, the most common stick I saw was the IG Speed

stewfoo412
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
on A&M, UT, and Rice the most common rackets i saw were the six one 95, pure storms, aeropros, prestiges, and puredrives. that was pretty much it.

drakulie
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM
At the futures I strung for last month, the Virginia team was there. Lots of Pure Drives, Prestige MP, Blade 98.

Fuji
02-27-2012, 08:10 PM
I just watched Canadian University Nationals all weekend and tons of Babolats. I saw quite a few Pure Drives, and a few Pure Storms. Just a Prestiges and a few BLX95's. Babolat definitely had the stranglehold from what I saw though!

(Also, darn could those guys hit! All of them were 5.5+ from what I saw!)

-Fuji

Ashanti
02-28-2012, 01:22 AM
so it seems like babolat and wilson is the most popular with college players surprised not more head frames

Chyeaah
02-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Anything they can get a sponsorship with.

Yourtenniscoach
02-28-2012, 12:26 PM
At the futures I strung for last month, the Virginia team was there. Lots of Pure Drives, Prestige MP, Blade 98.

Are you doing Delrey Beach this week?

Yourtenniscoach
02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I remember seeing a lot of Aerostorms last year on the NCAA level.

Ashanti
02-29-2012, 12:01 AM
i'm thinking its between pure drive and wilson 95 and aero pro drive

Hi I'm Ray
03-01-2012, 05:29 AM
on A&M, UT, and Rice the most common rackets i saw were the six one 95, pure storms, aeropros, prestiges, and puredrives. that was pretty much it.

This.

Where are all the guys now who say Babolat totally sucks? lol.

DjordjeRosic
04-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Right here lol..... but the main thing is its all preference doesn't matter what I or the next individual has to say... :)

getsby
04-19-2012, 02:04 PM
-Wilsons, K-Blade and BLX Pro Tour
-Head Radical, LM and Youtek
-Babolat AeroPro Cortex
other brands and models are much rarer (what I see in Moscow, Russia)

jamauss
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Babolats by a large margin. Pure Drives and APDC's. A few PST's here and there. Wilson/Head/Prince are fighting over the scraps leftover.

BigT
04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Last year, Stanford was all but one Prestiges.

A.Motoki.S
04-19-2012, 11:40 PM
i see a lot of Prestige's, Pure Drives and the Aero line and some blades

OTMPut
04-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Babolats by a large margin. Pure Drives and APDC's. A few PST's here and there. Wilson/Head/Prince are fighting over the scraps leftover.

May be Babolat is aggressively doling out sponsorships. Do these players pay for their racquets?

DjordjeRosic
04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah they were, some players get semi sponsorships and pay a minimal fee and others get full sponsorships and don't pay a cent, so yeah lol

klementine79
04-20-2012, 07:59 AM
May be Babolat is aggressively doling out sponsorships. Do these players pay for their racquets?

They are.

Posted this in a different thread but it has more relevance here.

Babolat is the most aggressive company in terms of sponsorships at the junior/collegiate level.

I have a family friend whose son (11 yo) is a ranked junior in the state and Babolat approached them, no other company. Full sponsorship. Dropped the RDS002's and swings the aeropro drives.

They also have very cheap player packages.

Can't blame them. It's the best kind of marketing/advertisement.

80% of the juniors I see at local tournies are swinging babs and only a 1/3rd (if not less) are sponsored. When they get their butts kicked by higher ranked juniors (which babolat has already snagged) eventually they see a common theme. The top5 are using babs, so eventually the bottom 20 switch, thinking they might gain an advantage.

They never do because the top-5/10 are just better athletes/mentally stronger. But babolat was aggressive in snatching them up when they were 11, so they're not going to switch now... unless another company comes along.

Babolat is just a smart company and invests a considerable more amount of money in sponsorships/packages and they make sure to make themselves accessible.

-This post had nothing to do with racquets and everything to do with business models.

OTMPut
04-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Visibility on TV (with top ranked pros using the racquets) should be a key factor for sales.

Seems to be that anyone who is not a frequenter of TT is unaware of subtleties of paint-jobs, racquet specs etc. Even the head coach at my club (i think he is about 50) refers to the frames as Nadal frame, Murray frame and so on. Forget about technicalities about strings. Nadal has a "black string" and every chick in my club wants to have a black string the next day!

DjordjeRosic
04-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Visibility on TV (with top ranked pros using the racquets) should be a key factor for sales.

Seems to be that anyone who is not a frequenter of TT is unaware of subtleties of paint-jobs, racquet specs etc. Even the head coach at my club (i think he is about 50) refers to the frames as Nadal frame, Murray frame and so on. Forget about technicalities about strings. Nadal has a "black string" and every chick in my club wants to have a black string the next day!

That post made me sad.... and a single tear rolled down my face :cry: lol
I mean the companies are doing a great job if people want to outright buy what pros are using...

-Djordje

babolat king
06-19-2013, 05:52 AM
Almost the whole team of Illinois uses the Pure Storm Tour Gts or Pure Storm Gts.

MikeHitsHard93
06-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Michigan state has almost all blx blade 98s

Power Player
06-19-2013, 07:14 AM
It doesn't matter what they use since most of these guys are getting the sticks for free.

A babo sponsorship results in you getting to choose between the PD, APD or Pure Storm.

My point is that I would not base my racquet selection on what college players use, simply because they may have limited options unless they want to pay out of pocket.

swedenparty
06-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Anything they can get a sponsorship with.

yeah right,

NO

Mdubb23
06-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Almost the whole team of Illinois uses the Pure Storm Tour Gts or Pure Storm Gts.

They're also relatively popular at Northwestern.

Seth
06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Was at the ACC tennis tournament back in April. There were a bunch of Pure Storms and Pure Storm Tours, plenty of Pure Drives, and some Blades. I noticed that there were quite a few AeroPro Drives as well, but all were the previous paintjob (no 2013s).

The Tecnifibre 315 was also fairly popular. Moreso than I would have imagined. Another boutique choice was the Yonex VCore 97. A couple Clemson players had them in hand.

Fuji
06-20-2013, 08:31 AM
I have a couple of Div1 friends that are up here for the summer, right now they are rocking the APD 2013 and BLX Blade 98 (Black and Gold.) :)

-Fuji

babolat king
06-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Was at the ACC tennis tournament back in April. There were a bunch of Pure Storms and Pure Storm Tours, plenty of Pure Drives, and some Blades. I noticed that there were quite a few AeroPro Drives as well, but all were the previous paintjob (no 2013s).

The Tecnifibre 315 was also fairly popular. Moreso than I would have imagined. Another boutique choice was the Yonex VCore 97. A couple Clemson players had them in hand.

Thats surprising that a Technifibre racquet was so popular. I went to the Big East Tourn this spring and I did not see one Technifibre...interesting.

vandre
06-20-2013, 10:07 AM

yup. at atkins its babs as far as the eyes can see. men's and women's both.

HRB
06-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Judging by these post it is all across the spectrum for the big 3 (Babby/Willy/Cranium). I think it has a lot to do with the connections coaches have...I play at some courts used by a local D1 School (not big in tennis, but then again I'm in the northeast), and this year they have a new coach and 90% of the team all of a sudden is using Radical Pros and wearing head clothing. Coaches have contract and connections and influence!

babolat king
06-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Judging by these post it is all across the spectrum for the big 3 (Babby/Willy/Cranium). I think it has a lot to do with the connections coaches have...I play at some courts used by a local D1 School (not big in tennis, but then again I'm in the northeast), and this year they have a new coach and 90% of the team all of a sudden is using Radical Pros and wearing head clothing. Coaches have contract and connections and influence!

It doesnt have anything to do with the coach.

For instance, Notre Dame's main sponsor is Adidas while Michigan sponsor is Nike. This reflects with what the players are wearing. The coaches influence or connections has nothing to do with it.

As far as racquets, I assume each school has an agreement with a manufacturer and players can get racquets for free unless they feel more comfortable with the sticks they are already playing with.

Seth
06-20-2013, 12:06 PM

For instance, Notre Dame's main sponsor is Adidas while Michigan sponsor is Nike. This reflects with what the players are wearing. The coaches influence or connections has nothing to do with it.

As far as racquets, I assume each school has an agreement with a manufacturer and players can get racquets for free unless they feel more comfortable with the sticks they are already playing with.

This isn't always the case. My alma mater's tennis coach had a deal with Babolat (racquets/string/bags/grip) that transferred to the players. The coach's son told me this information. Further, it was evidenced by all but two of the players using either an APD or PD.

P.Floyd
06-20-2013, 12:19 PM

Michigan is actually with Adidas, signing the most lucrative sponsorship/equipment supply agreement in collegiate sports (well, besides Oregon and their "relationship" with Nike).

ASH1485
06-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Its incredible how babolat as a new company would be more popular than Wilson and Head.

Wondering if Nadal and Roddick did it all by themselves!

babolat king
06-21-2013, 10:11 AM
^^Babolat is far from a new company.

Youre right, I think Roddick and Nadal had a great deal to do with Babolats success with racquets.

Lukhas
06-21-2013, 10:14 AM
^In terms of racquets, it is. They entered the racquet business 19 years ago, in 1994.

babolat king
06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
^^Right but as far as a company its been around for over 100 years.

Their natural gut string was the #1 string on tour up until the poly take over.

Lukhas
06-21-2013, 12:47 PM
^^Right but as far as a company its been around for over 100 years.

Their natural gut string was the #1 string on tour up until the poly take over.
I perfectly know. However, we're discussing racquets here.

Ashanti
06-22-2013, 06:38 AM
head and babolat seem to be popular

tennis_balla
06-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Babolat use among junior and college players is massive. Doesn't matter what a few people on this board think, the amount of top and up and coming players using their rackets far surpasses the others.

gino
06-22-2013, 10:23 AM
On my Div. III team the rackets are pretty varied. We've got 3 guys using Aeropros and PDs. 4 guys using Wilsons. 1 guy playing with Yonex, and 3 guys playing with HEAD frames.

babolat king
06-24-2013, 10:29 AM
On my Div. III team the rackets are pretty varied. We've got 3 guys using Aeropros and PDs. 4 guys using Wilsons. 1 guy playing with Yonex, and 3 guys playing with HEAD frames.

Wow, you have a lot of guys on your team. I also went to a small college and I think the most we had on our team all four years was 8. 11's alot.