PDA

View Full Version : Racquet demo process - down to final two

French Edwards
02-27-2012, 07:10 PM
A little about me. In my second season, should be moving up to 3.5 and when I play with my buddies that are in 4.0 they feel with hard work I can make it there soon. Live in Atlanta. I am 30, tall and avg weight. Dont know how to put spin on serve yet. I play 3 - 4 times a week and am obsessed with getting better. All I want to do is play. No problem generating my own power but never had to because the hand me down racquet i've had for past 6 months (just now caught the bug after playing casually on weekends growing up) is a 110-inch oversize. I'm a baseliner with a flat serve, pretty below average at net. Love my forehand and am really comfortable with 1hbh but am learning and starting to really enjoy my 2hbh.

After demoing tons of racquets I'm down to the Prince Exo3 Warrior 100 and the Prince Exo Tour Team 100. I'll tell you a little about my likes and dislikes.

Warrior: I can BOMB my serve with it and zero double faults. Groundstrokes are mostly great but I have had a tendency to hit it long on occasion ("Medium" power rating according to TW). Serve returns are great with it. Other than the long groundstrokes, I also find it hard to hit winners and put away balls, they sail long. Possibly because of the power but maybe I just need to learn how to harness it. My racquet now is a little lighter than this, and I suffer from tennis elbow if I'm not careful. At 64 for the Warrior, I hope the stiffness is ok. And I def dont think I could add lead tape - its as heavy as I want it to be.

Tour Team: Groundstrokes with this, when I hit it right are an absolute dream. I can paint the corners and hit the line like its going out of style. Its so comfortable. I dont have to throw my back out or anything to hit it, but it takes a little bit more effort to hit it deep when I'm scrambling ("Low-Medium" power rating according to TW). I hit a few balls into the net, esp. on serve returns but I think by the end of my demo I got the hang of really swinging THROUGH the ball and this helped my return. It also took me a while to get used to having to snap my wrist on my serves, but am now ok on first serve (1st serve still not as fast as Warrior though). Second serves I've been hitting into the net more since I dont hit it as hard, so need to adapt, dont want to double fault a lot. (didnt double fault once with warrior)

When I scrimmaged with my buddy on Saturday (a more advanced player), I played better with the Tour Team. When I played my match today against a below average player, I won 6-0 in 1st set with the Warrior and 6-2 in second set with the Tour Team, with lots more deuces and close games. I didn't hit as many winners with the Warrior, but felt more comfortable with its extra heft and ease of use - I didnt feel like I always had to be on.

I'm making this terminology up, but I feel as if I'm on the lower end of the skill/power spectrum of the Tour Team, but loved it and think I can grow into it since I'm playing 3.5 level now and my competition isnt world class. I dont know if I'm on the high end of the power for the Warrior, but definitely not on the high skill end, as it says in the description its for intermediate to advanced, but feel it can be over powered at times for me. I wonder if the Warrior would be better for 3 setters though, when I would be tired and cant swing as hard as I need to with the Tour Team. So is it better to get the higher power racquet, and adjust the tension and string type accordingly? Or to get the racquet that I'm maybe not QUITE good enough for, but has more comfort, less stiffness, is lighter, and adjust the tension, strings, maybe add lead tape?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Sorry for the length

JackB1
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Personally, if I have 2 racquets that I like almost equally as well, I would pick whichever one I serve better with, since serve is such a HUGE part of tennis. I would also lean towards whichever racquet was better in competition and match play. I also would lean towards whichever racquet had a more pleasing feel at impact. Also, forget about "growing into" a racquet. Get the one that helps you play your best NOW. I also think its better to have some extra power in reserve. You can always adjust your string and tension to reduce power if needed. I have my Warrior with Beast poly in the mains and Attack multi in the cross at 53/55 and the power level is nowhere near too much. I can swing out and easily keep the ball in. What do you have your Warrior strung with. To me, it has a perfect blend of power and control.

I have never tried the Tour Team, so I can't offer anything about that, but if your main worry about the Warrior is too much power, then that really shouldn't be an issue at all with the right strings and tension.

BTW, where in Atlanta do you live? I am near I75 and Windy Hill Rd.
if you are close enough we should get together for a hit. I am a high level 3.5.

un6a
02-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Jack makes some good points. I just add that from result perspective it does not matter if you beat lower level player 6:0 or 6:2. Much important is, which racquet give you higher chance to beat more advanced player.

BC1
02-28-2012, 05:34 AM
Jack makes some good points. I just add that from result perspective it does not matter if you beat lower level player 6:0 or 6:2. Much important is, which racquet give you higher chance to beat more advanced player.

Very True!
For me, I also found that I prefer using the Rebel 98 against weaker opponents because when I have the time to prepare and properly swing, the control and precise power is great. However, against stronger opponents I do a lot better with the PD - it has the ability to even the playing field and make me look better then I really am, plus it is an amazing serving racquet. And as Jack pointed out - the serve is the most important aspect of the game. If you have a weak serve against a stronger opponent it's over.

The Warrior from my experience has the good qualities of both, a lighter weight players racquet and a powerful tweener, just not as much as either (if that makes sense). Jack has reviewed the warrior very well.

BC1
02-28-2012, 05:38 AM
I forgot to mention, I too have played with the Tour Team - it's a great racquet, and if i remeber correctly it played similar to the warrior (but it's been a year since i tried the team so it's hard to accurately compare).

I would think the warrior may be your best bet out of the two from what I've read above. I personally like the Warrior better because it feels like it has more mass and gives me more confidence, plus I like the additional stifness of the warrior, and it is still a very comfortable racquet.

French Edwards
02-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the replies folks!

Jack - I live right in the heart of the city, would love to get together for a hit sometime. I wish I had more time to decide - I have until 3/1. Maybe we can work something out before then, but if not I'll just go with instinct.

It comes down to more errors with the Warrior from hitting it long versus more errors with the Tour Team from missing the sweetspot and hitting it in the net. Maybe it does make more sense to take the 15% more power and more reliable serve of the Warrior. I just love the feel of the T.T. when I hit it pure. But that racquet will still be there later. I will try to put the strings Jack mentioned in there once I buy it. The strings in there now are Wilson NXT 17 at mid-tension. Thats how YourServe strings all their demos.

JackB1
02-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the replies folks!

Jack - I live right in the heart of the city, would love to get together for a hit sometime. I wish I had more time to decide - I have until 3/1. Maybe we can work something out before then, but if not I'll just go with instinct.

It comes down to more errors with the Warrior from hitting it long versus more errors with the Tour Team from missing the sweetspot and hitting it in the net. Maybe it does make more sense to take the 15% more power and more reliable serve of the Warrior. I just love the feel of the T.T. when I hit it pure. But that racquet will still be there later. I will try to put the strings Jack mentioned in there once I buy it. The strings in there now are Wilson NXT 17 at mid-tension. Thats how YourServe strings all their demos.

The NXT is the reason you are hitting long with the Warrior. Trust me. The tension is probably low on it as well. Get a poly / syngut hybrid in that puppy and your days of hitting long are over. The Warrior has tremendous control with poly mains. Huge difference to a full multi. Bottom line is they are both good choices and pick the one you enjoy playing with more. The TTeam definitely has a softer more muted and flexy feel. If you prefer that type of feel, get that. Those 2 are pretty distinctly different racquets...keep trying both and one should emerge over the other eventually.

I sometimes play at Bitsy Grant. Would that be doable for you?

BC1
02-28-2012, 06:44 AM
^^^^ perfectly stated. I would just add that you will most likely be very glad you have the little extra forgiveness and potentially easier power the warrior provides. The string set-up can make a huge difference with any racquet and it's very easy to dial down the power, but a little harder to make racquet more forgiving.

nyc
02-28-2012, 07:06 AM
I can BOMB my serve with it and zero double faults.

This.

Groundstrokes are mostly great but I have had a tendency to hit it long on occasion. I also find it hard to hit winners and put away balls, they sail long. Possibly because of the power but maybe I just need to learn how to harness it.

Sounds like Technique, not Equipment. Probably next step is to learn how to use spin more effectively.

Tour Team: takes a little bit more effort to hit it deep when I'm scrambling. Second serves I've been hitting into the net more since I dont hit it as hard, so need to adapt, dont want to double fault a lot. (didnt double fault once with warrior)

When I scrimmaged with my buddy on Saturday (a more advanced player), I played better with the Tour Team.

Probably because it's a lighter racquet and you were able to get to the ball when stretched, or generally more on the defensive.

When I played my match today against a below average player, I won 6-0 in 1st set with the Warrior and 6-2 in second set with the Tour Team, with lots more deuces and close games. I didn't hit as many winners with the Warrior, but felt more comfortable with its extra heft and ease of use - I didnt feel like I always had to be on.

Confidence is a huge weapon in tennis.

At 3.5 you don't need to hit a ton of winners. It's mostly a game of keeping unforced errors in check. I suspect with a little bit more controlled strokes (aka spin) you'll handle the depth just fine - and the Warrior gives you much more confidence and helps you relax.

French Edwards
02-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks Jack and BC. Sounds like I should probably err conservative, dial down the Warrior with polys and go from there. I did like the forgiveness and booming first serve of the Warrior.

Jack - I am happy to play at Bitsy. I can also reserve a nice court for free at Paces 325, a condo complex at East Paces Ferry Road. My email is DLA1844@gmail.com if you want to send me your contact info...

Dave

French Edwards
02-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks nyc, agreed.

Power Player
02-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Get the Warrior. It is more modern and will be around longer. The Tour Team I don't even see on the TW site anymore unless I missed it.

Also, with a multi at probably a lower tension (since it's a demo and has been used a while) it is going to launch balls. If you hate poly, try head rip control. I am using that in a similar stick at 59#s and it plays like a poly with more comfort.

You are going to play at a higher level against better players with the Warrior unless you are having a bad day and then no racquet will matter anyway.

French Edwards
02-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Get the Warrior. It is more modern and will be around longer. The Tour Team I don't even see on the TW site anymore unless I missed it.

Agree that I like the aspect of it being newer. However tour team is still on the website. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/PEX3TT/PEX3TTreview.html - reviewed in August 2011

Also, with a multi at probably a lower tension (since it's a demo and has been used a while) it is going to launch balls. If you hate poly, try head rip control. I am using that in a similar stick at 59#s and it plays like a poly with more comfort.

I was the first person to demo it (so they said). Strings are brand new.

You are going to play at a higher level against better players with the Warrior unless you are having a bad day and then no racquet will matter anyway.

Agree with this - it gives me more margin of error than the Tour Team.

Power Player
02-28-2012, 07:21 AM
I saw the tour team now..never knew it existed. Looks pretty cool, I used to use the EXO3 tour 16x18. I really liked it a lot. I could put about every ball in play, but I could not attack on serve and groundies with it like I prefer. So I ended up playing this real defensive style of tennis that was difficult to execute for 2-3 hours.

the warrior is a power/spin stick that will allow you to attack and then control the ball with spin when you are moving it around. I prefer these types of sticks because you can grow with them by adding lead the more you play and improve.

JackB1
02-28-2012, 08:00 AM
I saw the tour team now..never knew it existed. Looks pretty cool, I used to use the EXO3 tour 16x18. I really liked it a lot. I could put about every ball in play, but I could not attack on serve and groundies with it like I prefer. So I ended up playing this real defensive style of tennis that was difficult to execute for 2-3 hours.

the warrior is a power/spin stick that will allow you to attack and then control the ball with spin when you are moving it around. I prefer these types of sticks because you can grow with them by adding lead the more you play and improve.

Good points. A lot also depends on the style of game you prefer to play. The TT seems like a better fit for a more defensive counter attacking style and the Warrior for a more attacking aggressive game. Whenever I play with more flexible sticks I get more defensive/conservative for some reason.

French Edwards
02-29-2012, 05:21 AM
The NXT is the reason you are hitting long with the Warrior. Trust me. The tension is probably low on it as well. Get a poly / syngut hybrid in that puppy and your days of hitting long are over. The Warrior has tremendous control with poly mains. Huge difference to a full multi. Bottom line is they are both good choices and pick the one you enjoy playing with more. The TTeam definitely has a softer more muted and flexy feel. If you prefer that type of feel, get that. Those 2 are pretty distinctly different racquets...keep trying both and one should emerge over the other eventually.

I sometimes play at Bitsy Grant. Would that be doable for you?

Jack - the Beast and Attack strings you use - which do you use in mains and which in crosses? I've never strung with anything other than Dunlop Silks and Babolat Addictions. Do you want to try to get together and hit soon? My email was in a prior post. I'm going in to purchase the Warrior today. Also, one more thing - I noticed the 3/8 grip size they gave me in my demo feels an awful lot like the 1/2 grip size I normally use on my old Prince. Do you feel the grip size is a little bigger than normal on the Warrior?

EDK
02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Curious, is your username from Barry Hannah...

French Edwards
02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
The Tennis Handsome - indeed

JackB1
02-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Jack - the Beast and Attack strings you use - which do you use in mains and which in crosses? I've never strung with anything other than Dunlop Silks and Babolat Addictions. Do you want to try to get together and hit soon? My email was in a prior post. I'm going in to purchase the Warrior today. Also, one more thing - I noticed the 3/8 grip size they gave me in my demo feels an awful lot like the 1/2 grip size I normally use on my old Prince. Do you feel the grip size is a little bigger than normal on the Warrior?

I use the Beast in the mains and the Attack in the cross to soften things up and add a little pop.

Sure I would like to hit. Maybe Sun? It's tough for me to get into midtown during the week.

Yes the Prince grips felt a little larger than normal, but not too severe. I also normally use a 1/2 and I could go with the 3/8 with a thicker grip and overgrip or go with the 1/2 and a thin overgrip. You could also undo the Prince stock grip and rewrap it tightly, stretching it tighter and thinner.

chrisberchris
02-29-2012, 07:37 PM
I live in Carrollton! If you ever make it 40 minutes south, let me know!