PDA

View Full Version : Question about increasing/decreasing length

Polk County Pride
02-28-2012, 07:12 AM
I am trying to decide whether to lengthen or shorten a PD. I am currently using a standard pure drive roddick at 361, 8 pts HL. I have weight at 10/2 and under grip. I want to keep the weight the same, but I am interested in adding between .2 and .25 inches to the racquet. I don't know whether it would make more sense to just buy new +'s and cut them down, or to try and add? Also, does it make more sense for me to just take them to someone who knows what the heck they are doing? I don't like having a full .5 inch, and the rep in my area has told me that he can't get custom made racquets for anyone(though I'm not sure I buy that.) I hit with one that has a little bit extra and the small difference gave my serve 2 or 3 mph but much more importantly I was able to hit a sharper angle in doubles. Obviously I'm a newb here but I take my tennis very seriously and am still playing some events for money in FL. I would greatly appreciate any advice you all have, even if its "go pay somebody to do that such as ..."

esgee48
02-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Search the board for 'racquet length customization'

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308163&highlight=racquet+length+customization

TaihtDuhShaat
02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Get the Plus, and cut it down to 27.2" or 27.25" then. Then you can add more lead to 10 and 2 to get back to your old SW.

LeeD
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Doubt adding 1/4" add anything noticeable to your serves, but..... it does add to your mental CONFIDENCE.
You can hold down farther on the racket. As in another thread, buy a smaller buttcap, shave it down to fit, and the buttcap is farther down the handle, giving you a longer handle and a longer racket.

ChicagoJack
02-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Doubt adding 1/4" add anything noticeable to your serves, but..... it does add to your mental CONFIDENCE.
You can hold down farther on the racket. As in another thread, buy a smaller buttcap, shave it down to fit, and the buttcap is farther down the handle, giving you a longer handle and a longer racket.

Hi LeeD-

I totally understand your point about sliding your hand up or down 1/4". That's an awesome technique that many players over look. But don't underestimate what adding 1/4" inch does to the SW of a frame. It adds it adds a whopping 10 sw units on my leaded up clubs. That's a pretty big deal and not imaginary at all.

Jack

LeeD
02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
True dat, but sheer length effect is in the mind of the perceiver.
I still have some old extended ChangOS's, maybe 28, and longer TStick around 28.5", and I serve about the same with my LMRadMid, Dunlop200's and 500's standard lengths.
Yes, the longer rackets have higher SW per weight, are longer, but serve about the same, once you start to count them for real. Practice and serve contests is not real.

ChicagoJack
02-28-2012, 07:37 PM
True dat, but sheer length effect is in the mind of the perceiver.
I still have some old extended ChangOS's, maybe 28, and longer TStick around 28.5", and I serve about the same with my LMRadMid, Dunlop200's and 500's standard lengths.
Yes, the longer rackets have higher SW per weight, are longer, but serve about the same, once you start to count them for real. Practice and serve contests is not real.

Cool, my experience differs from yours. I think that has occurred one or twice at this rodeo lol. Oh, and I haven't practiced for years. Only play matches.

AlpineCadet
02-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Sounds like the balance of the frame matters the most to your strokes. Try modding with lead on your fav. frame to help you find that sweetspot. Other than that, the added length will kill your accuracy IMO.