PDA

View Full Version : Pro Open 2012, Pure Drive 2012, or Warrior

BC1
02-28-2012, 07:53 AM
These are three very popular frames, are basically in the same category of racquets, have similar specs, and will probably be some of the best sellers of 2012.

(Of course the warrior is new and many haven't had the opportunity to play with it yet, and the others are very similar to their previous version and have their following - so this may not be a fair battle).

I've played with them all, I like them all, and would probably have the same results with any of them over time - yet they are all distinctively different. What is your favorite and why?

EDIT - I should have included the Head Instinct as well - please consider this option as well in your replys.

athleticstennis
02-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Pro Open and Pure Drive are the winners for me. If you prefer some added arm comfort I would say go for the Pro Open. Both play very similar. Spinny racquets, with good power and great for baseline players.

fibonacci888
02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
add the pacific xfast to your demo's

Dgdavid
02-28-2012, 09:25 AM
uh oh, if Warrior 100 is anything like the Pure Drive, I ain't gonna like it. I hit a forehand with the Pure Drive Roddick last week and it still hasn't landed :shock:

Korso
02-28-2012, 09:38 AM
I just switched to the Pure Drive 2012 Roddick. It plays well from every where on the court for me. There is plenty of power and the sweet spot is generous.

BC1
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
uh oh, if Warrior 100 is anything like the Pure Drive, I ain't gonna like it. I hit a forehand with the Pure Drive Roddick last week and it still hasn't landed :shock:

Too funny! it is similar, but not the same, definitely not as much power, and has more flex - all resulting in more control - maybe. Plus a different feel. (the regular pd vs. the warrior, not roddick).

It all depends on what you like in a racquet. But definitely worth a try.
If i had to pick right now, i would probably go with the pure drive because for some reason it just gives me more confidence - yet at the same time i like the comfortable feel of the warrior and pro open. And i think consistency would be better with the warrior and pro open. But the PD has that addicting power and great serving ability. It's a toss up for me.

BC1
02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
I just switched to the Pure Drive 2012 Roddick. It plays well from every where on the court for me. There is plenty of power and the sweet spot is generous.

Korso, this is on my demo list as well. I have the pdroddick gt (blue), but have not tried the 2012. From what i'm hearing the sw is slightly down, which was my only issue with the old one. So the new sounds great. I'm more comfortable with weight in the 11.1 - 11.5 area but think i could adapt to the 11.9 of the Roddick.

ArliHawk
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
I'd go Pro Open. Demoed this last year and thought of it as an option to replace an APDGT. Felt like a hybrid of the PD and APD and very comfortable on the arm.

fibonacci888
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Korso, this is on my demo list as well. I have the pdroddick gt (blue), but have not tried the 2012. From what i'm hearing the sw is slightly down, which was my only issue with the old one. So the new sounds great. I'm more comfortable with weight in the 11.1 - 11.5 area but think i could adapt to the 11.9 of the Roddick.
Give the pacific a chance, you'll be suprised.

Tomorrow i'm getting the PD to demo.

BC1
02-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Give the pacific a chance, you'll be suprised.

Tomorrow i'm getting the PD to demo.

Which Pacific? The X Fast Pro 100? (edit: fibonacci888 - just reread your post, and i see this is the one you mentioned)
I'm very interested in that one.

However, after last night, I am loving and wanting to stick with my Rebel 98. Long story short - I loved the rebel demo, bought a new one (freshly strung of course), played with it twice and didnt have the same results and arm started hurting. I then starting doubting the racquet. It turns out the strings just needed to settle and loosen up a bit. After letting it sit a week, it is like a totally different racquet - felt like the demo - not harsh at all, more comfortable, power is back up and control was amazing. I'm always surprised (but shouldn't be) how much a difference the string set-up makes in a racquet.

So... I'm going to continue to use the Rebel as my main stick and see how it goes, but I am still very interested in this poll and all the raquets in this category. Being a racketaholic, I can't be satisfied with only one. Please keep the feedback coming. thnks

Dgdavid
02-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Which Pacific? The X Fast Pro 100? (edit: fibonacci888 - just reread your post, and i see this is the one you mentioned)
I'm very interested in that one.

However, after last night, I am loving and wanting to stick with my Rebel 98. Long story short - I loved the rebel demo, bought a new one (freshly strung of course), played with it twice and didnt have the same results and arm started hurting. I then starting doubting the racquet. It turns out the strings just needed to settle and loosen up a bit. After letting it sit a week, it is like a totally different racquet - felt like the demo - not harsh at all, more comfortable, power is back up and control was amazing. I'm always surprised (but shouldn't be) how much a difference the string set-up makes in a racquet.

So... I'm going to continue to use the Rebel as my main stick and see how it goes, but I am still very interested in this poll and all the raquets in this category. Being a racketaholic, I can't be satisfied with only one. Please keep the feedback coming. thnks

Hi BC1,

I have a Rebel 98 (amongst others) and when playing in a singles match recently was getting unexpected flyers, problems hit long etc which I never get from my Prestiges. It came with standard strings in the UK, not sure what. Did you change your string at all? Was thinking about putting a thin gauge poly in it at mid-tension to bring the power down and lose those flyers.

BC1
02-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Hi BC1,

I have a Rebel 98 (amongst others) and when playing in a singles match recently was getting unexpected flyers, problems hit long etc which I never get from my Prestiges. It came with standard strings in the UK, not sure what. Did you change your string at all? Was thinking about putting a thin gauge poly in it at mid-tension to bring the power down and lose those flyers.

I have very little flyers with the Rebel 98, but I'm use to playing with the PDs, Instincts, etc so I'm comparing it to those. I'm loving the fact that i feel like I can swing hard at the ball without it going long and without having to put tons of topspin on every shot to maintain control. The poly helps!

The racquet came unstrung and I strung it with lux alu power rough at 58/55. Very few flyers - great control yet harsher then I like. Now that the strings have lowered in tension they are great - control is amazing, good feel and good power. I like poly but only after it sits for a while and at lower tension. My suggestion would be to go with a 17g softer poly around 56/53. I like the alu rough but as you know there are many out there that will work well. The poly will definititely help with flyers. I've also read on here that if you lower your crosses by three pounds it increases the sweet spot a little, especially on oval frames like the rebel. Not sure if it works or not, but it can't hurt. I did it on mine, and now that the tension is lower, the sweet spot does feel fairly large - not pd large, but larger then you would expect.

Power Player
02-29-2012, 06:58 AM
I'd go Pro Open or Pure Drive.

Here is the thing, the control is key. What stick gives you more? For me that is the Pro Open.

Next thing is the strings. What strings are you using? I am leaning towards using RIP control which would allow me to use about any stiff type of racquet that I want.

I also really like the headshape of the ProOpen. It is more classic then round like a Bab. But that is picking hairs at this point.

Bud
02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
I'd go Pro Open or Pure Drive.

Here is the thing, the control is key. What stick gives you more? For me that is the Pro Open.

Next thing is the strings. What strings are you using? I am leaning towards using RIP control which would allow me to use about any stiff type of racquet that I want.

I also really like the headshape of the ProOpen. It is more classic then round like a Bab. But that is picking hairs at this point.

The PD (non-Roddick) is also a great platform for customization. In stock form, it's the perfect weight/balance for adding weight and/or increasing the HL'ness.

Power Player
02-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Indeed. I am actually going to demo the Pd and PD+ tonight to see how they compare to the pro open.

bertrevert
02-29-2012, 03:20 PM
I'd decline the Instinct.

I think it is a great frame, however, it is extremely stiff (69).

I have had some shoulder and now elbow issues but that is probably due to my own failings: I left some old poly in it too long, poor technique not hitting the ball out in front enough, mishits framing the ball.

It has that low swingweight a lot of recent racquets have and is evenly balanced, yet it is not inherently powerful and you wouldn't be considering the frames you are if you didn't want a little added power.

Also, I am a bit in two minds about how much it adds to serve. I really expect something special from frames as I have a strong serve that is fairly well disguised, yet the Instinct didn't fall into line with that... it felt a little cumbersome and not fast through the air (perhaps due to balance?).

just IMHO

Power Player
02-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Ok, I could use either the pro open or the pure drive. Pro opens easier on the arm but the pure drive felt fine as well. You could about flip a coin..you will get a little more power with the pure drive though.

I decided to get a pure drive plus. The pro open is standard and is fine, and I am shorter so I like plus length.

I'd strongly suggest demoing both sticks..they are rather similar and it may boil down to feel.