PDA

View Full Version : crosses question

Xpherex
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Hello,
I bought not that long ago drop-weight stringing machine.

I got a little problem that I guess I'm loosing tension with crosses.
It is related to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UURjgj1_5OIecsHhyC968nTQ&feature=player_detailpage&v=ZsuQBrSgDHg

As I can't move the last crosses straight as show in the video I always moving one before. I thought that if I re-clamp both clamps each time when I'm straitening the crosses I will get move accurate results. So my question is when I tension the string of the next crosses I release both clamps (re-clamping one to the same string after) and getting it straight (moving up, as I didn't have any oppotinity to string with 1 peace racket, or ATW) the tension bar of the drop-weight dropping a little down as the cross become more straight and release a little to the next cross is it ok to adjust the bar or I will get other result? or shouldn't I re-clamp, is it just a waste of time?

I'm still getting little smile from the racket as it is very hard to move poly anywhere at 55-60lbs, well at least for me

Irvin
02-28-2012, 11:02 AM
It will be hard to move any string especially textured strings. Try to straighten the one before the tensioned string.

Xpherex
02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
It will be hard to move any string especially textured strings. Try to straighten the one before the tensioned string.Irvin that's what I'm doing but if I release the clamp of this string and straightening it straightens but the bar is dropping down a little I usually adjust it (the bar). If I won't release the clamp of the string which I'm straightening the bar won't drop down. So do I loose tension if I won't re-clamp?

esgee48
02-28-2012, 04:59 PM
So, instead of having the weight be horizontal, shorten the slack to leave the weight up by 10 deg. That way, when you release the clamp, the weight should drop to horizontal. I am assuming you are talking about your X2.

mixedmedia
02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Sorry for the semi-hijack, but I think it's closely related, and I noticed this thread right at the top as I was about to start a new one.

I'm not active too much in this section of the forums as I don't string (but hope too soon!), but I have a friend who uses a drop weight to string poly in the upper 50s to low 60s. I noticed the crosses on his racquet had a good bit less tension compared to the mains. Is there any advice I can give him to help him out (besides to save up for a CP). And if some of my terminology is incorrect, I apologize. I'm learning bit by bit as I wander into the world of stringing machines, techniques, &c.

dancraig
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Sorry for the semi-hijack, but I think it's closely related, and I noticed this thread right at the top as I was about to start a new one.

I'm not active too much in this section of the forums as I don't string (but hope too soon!), but I have a friend who uses a drop weight to string poly in the upper 50s to low 60s. I noticed the crosses on his racquet had a good bit less tension compared to the mains. Is there any advice I can give him to help him out (besides to save up for a CP). And if some of my terminology is incorrect, I apologize. I'm learning bit by bit as I wander into the world of stringing machines, techniques, &c.

He could add a few pounds to the crosses. (Drop weight machines are constant pull):rolleyes:

Xpherex
02-29-2012, 02:15 AM
He could add a few pounds to the crosses. (Drop weight machines are constant pull):rolleyes:
I strung my first time not that long ago, and I strung mains at 24.5 kg and crosses at 23.5, crosses do not move at all after 5 hours of play, and the main are moving only at the mid, where you hit the ball.

I don't think my problem only related to drop weight, my problem is relate to clamps or straitening the string, the string has to go somewhere, unless you are using glide bar and 1 clamp you won't notice that. or maybe I should adjust the clamp to hold the string tighter as I'm new to stringing and I'm afraid to damage the string

Irvin
02-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Irvin that's what I'm doing but if I release the clamp of this string and straightening it straightens but the bar is dropping down a little I usually adjust it (the bar). If I won't release the clamp of the string which I'm straightening the bar won't drop down. So do I loose tension if I won't re-clamp?

I am not sure if you are using two clamps for your crosses or just one. I would use only one. When you clamp the string changes are your string at not exactly the same distance apart as the clamp holds them so you strings will be crocked. I would let it go and straighten the string last cross tension that is not being held by a clamp.

It is going to be normal for the bar to drop some when the clamp is released I would try to make sure the bar stays close to level and go with it. I don't think you need to spend a lot of time trying to get it perfect.

Xpherex
02-29-2012, 02:53 AM
I am not sure if you are using two clamps for your crosses or just one. I would use only one. When you clamp the string changes are your string at not exactly the same distance apart as the clamp holds them so you strings will be crocked. I would let it go and straighten the string last cross tension that is not being held by a clamp.

It is going to be normal for the bar to drop some when the clamp is released I would try to make sure the bar stays close to level and go with it. I don't think you need to spend a lot of time trying to get it perfect.Thanks Irvin, I also thought that there is no reason to leave the previous string clamped when I clamp the next cross

mixedmedia
02-29-2012, 04:06 AM

Yeah...I thought they were, but...

Haha, thanks, I'll tell him.

mikeler
02-29-2012, 04:43 AM
It will be hard to move any string especially textured strings. Try to straighten the one before the tensioned string.

Don't you have a video showing how to do this? I think that is the way I learned to get rid of the "smile".

Irvin
02-29-2012, 05:14 AM
^^Yes I do and the link is in Post #1. But I use fixed clamps and the OP uses flying clamp. With fixed clamps you can get the clamp and the string in a straight line but you can't with flying clamps all the time. If the distance between the strings as they normally lay is wider or narrower than the distance the clamp holds them there will be a bend.

Therefore, what I suggested to the OP is to go one more string up and straighten the string with no clamp. I would still try to keep my strings as straight as I go though the best I can.

mikeler
02-29-2012, 06:11 AM
^^Yes I do and the link is in Post #1. But I use fixed clamps and the OP uses flying clamp. With fixed clamps you can get the clamp and the string in a straight line but you can't with flying clamps all the time. If the distance between the strings as they normally lay is wider or narrower than the distance the clamp holds them there will be a bend.

Therefore, what I suggested to the OP is to go one more string up and straighten the string with no clamp. I would still try to keep my strings as straight as I go though the best I can.

Oops, sorry did not click the link.

cknobman
02-29-2012, 07:19 AM

It is going to be normal for the bar to drop some when the clamp is released I would try to make sure the bar stays close to level and go with it. I don't think you need to spend a lot of time trying to get it perfect.

Thanks Irvin, I also thought that there is no reason to leave the previous string clamped when I clamp the next cross

I am a relatively new stringer myself as I got a Klippermate for xmas.

I have been trying different ways to do crosses as I found varying tenisions depending on how I do it.

My observations:

Using 2 clamps: Offers a more consistent and higher tensions but due to the second clamp forcing the strings together I get more "bowing" in my crosses. This is remedied by moving the strings manually once I am completely finished and tied of my crosses.

Using 1 clamp: Easy to keep crosses straight especially if you make sure to straighten the string before you apply tension. I find that it seems like I might be loosing a little bit of tension vs 2 clamps. This can be remedied by stringing crosses 2-3 lbs higher than target tension and then making sure to set my last cross (tie off) to 7 lbs higher than target tension.

Both methods work ok but so far I think I am happier sticking with the 2 clamp method.

I am sure as I string more racquets I will either find a better way or may change my opinion but right now I am still learning.

I have also observed that whether its the mains or crosses the last string (tie off) needs to be 5 lbs more than target tension not 2-3 lbs more otherwise (for me at least) it seems those strings loose too much tension.

Xpherex
02-29-2012, 11:43 AM

No I'm using fixed clamps. my drop weight machine looks like this one http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=414548 otherwise I won't compare my clamps to glide bar which you can find in prince machines, where you use only 1 clamp for crosses.

by the way, I have watched your last video "tension" and you are clamping both strings the one before and the one that you tension.
so when I release that the one before (the string which already tensioned, and tension the next one and if I release the one which is already clamped and straitening the string my bar is going a little down, if I do not release the clamp and just straitening it the bar do not drop.

Irvin
02-29-2012, 12:07 PM
No I'm using fixed clamps. my drop weight machine looks like this one http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=414548 otherwise I won't compare my clamps to glide bar which you can find in prince machines, where you use only 1 clamp for crosses

Then you should use two clamps and straighten the one above the one you are tensioning. If your clamp is twisting the string you are probably tightening the base first then the string. Clamp the string first then the base. When removing the clamps release the base first then the string.

Xpherex
03-01-2012, 03:34 AM
well after thinking I don't really understand the point to leave the previous string clamped. It's like if I had 4 clamps for mains I would clamp each string twice.

Irvin
03-01-2012, 04:04 AM
well after thinking I don't really understand the point to leave the previous string clamped. It's like if I had 4 clamps for mains I would clamp each string twice.

Insurance and time. If you leave the one before clamped and one of your clamps slip off you have the second to hold the string. Usually that does not happen. Speed - you will have to clamp one and release the other or in the opposite sequence. Either way it is two operations. Tighter string bed - I have heard that using only one clamp will result in a tighter string bed although I don't understand why. But following along with what you are saying when you remove both clamps you weight falls and you adjust for it. Time - with a drop weight adjusting the bar again every time will increase time.

EDIT: But you are right it is just line having four clamps for the mains, except that you do not clamp each string twice. You only clamp a string one time. Let's assume I'm tensioning the fourth cross, at that time I will have one clamp on the third cross and another on the second. One clamp is used for the odd crosses and the other for the even assuming you do not skip a cross. When stringing the mains you move the clamp from one string to the next so one clamp is for the left mains and the other for the right.