PDA

View Full Version : Head Microgel Radical MP help

Lyzerd
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey the HMRMP is a racket I use about 6 months ago when the only stroke I had was a backhand and since then I switched to a Wilson Blx Pro Open due to my inconsistency of hitting the sweet spot in the Head. Over the past 6 months my game has improved immensely and now my forehand is not only consistent but also my weapon. This past week I pulled the Head out of my bag and hit with it again immediately falling in love with it over my Wilson. Now my question is what does Head string their rackets at tension wise because I have the stock strings on the head and im looking to switch them out since they are old and worn out. Also my love for the racket may just be because the string tension is lower than my Wilson because my Wilson was stringed at 59lbs with a poly that supposedly loses its tension fast and its been well used so its probably around 56. Any help on what I should do between the rackets? I dont know if I should restring the Head or Wilson because I love ho my Head hits but don't know if its because the Wilson is too high.

~Roaar~
02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
That racquet is still available new from Tennis Warehouse. According to their site, "NOTE: This racquet comes pre-strung with Head Sonic Pro 16g". Usually pre-strung racquets are strung in the middle of their range. For this racquet, it would be 57 lbs.

Sonic Pro is also a poly string. Not sure what brand you have on the Wilson.

If you're trying to get the racquets on an equal basis, string them both with the same string at the middle of the manufacturers recommended tension. I play with the Head, it was easy to take one out of the bag and see the tension label, not sure what the Wilson should be.

Maybe you could explain more about how you like the Head better. That would help other forum members give you a recommendation. For me, different string chemistry and gauge makes a big difference in how the racquet plays. You may be able to tune the Wilson to play the way you want. A USTA rating and play style would also help.