PDA

View Full Version : Progression of Radicals: are they really better?

alidisperanza
02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
So I've been wondering; now that I have a collection of radicals, has the progression of technology really improved the racquets? Is it worth upgrading?

Starting with the liquidmetal (earliest model I have) to the IG. I currently own up to the MG and have hit with the YT (although not recently)

LM. .. .FXP . .. ... .MG . .. .YT. .. ....IG.
318g-->315g --> 312g --> 312g --> 320g

325sw->330sw -> 315sw-> 324sw-> 320sw

64stiff->63stiff->57stIff->59stiff-->62stiff

4 ------>2------>2------>2------->3 pts headlight

Anyone else see a trend? It looks like the IG Rad MP is returning right back to where the LM left off at least spec wise. I know the material is different but I wonder if it's such a vast improvement.

El Diablo
02-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Who ever said they were better?? I don't even see that claim in Head's ads. Manufacturers change things to pique your interest, but I've never seen Head claim, for example, that a Youtek is a better frame than a LM or a Flexpoint.

BobFL
02-28-2012, 08:18 PM
So I've been wondering; now that I have a collection of radicals, has the progression of technology really improved the racquets? Is it worth upgrading?

Starting with the liquidmetal (earliest model I have) to the IG. I currently own up to the MG and have hit with the YT (although not recently)

Anyone else see a trend? It looks like the IG Rad MP is returning right back to where the LM left off at least spec wise. I know the material is different but I wonder if it's such a vast improvement.

Well, I think you are the perfect man to answer the question. Btw, all discrepancies are within manuf. tolerances (weight, sw).

alidisperanza
02-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Well, I think you are the perfect man to answer the question. Btw, all discrepancies are within manuf. tolerances (weight, sw).

I need to get my hands on another YT and an IG. Problem is I have too many racquets to justify another purchase

goldenyama
02-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Dude, try the original Trisys 260 Radical Tour or Twin Tube Radical Tour. Then hit a newer version. You will see how much they have regressed...

courtking
02-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Dude, try the original Trisys 260 Radical Tour or Twin Tube Radical Tour. Then hit a newer version. You will see how much they have regressed...

+1.. The original Bummble Radical Tour is awesome.. then the zebra.. I think they are regressing thru time rather than improving anything..

alidisperanza
02-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Haha, I get the feeling I wouldn't be disappointed. I've always liked that classic frame feel. In fact, I keep going back to my LM Rads after trying so many frames over the years. My biggest concern is with finding a supply of them. I'm about to enter law school and going to be incurring some serious debt so I can't really afford to buy up a stock of racquets. Most of the ones I have are from my training days or from friends/customers getting caught up in the new racquet crazes and "tossing" their "old" gems. It's funny too, I've been trying really hard and want to like dunlop in particular but I keep migrating back to Head

If I sell my YT Prestige, I'll pick up a YT Rad Pro and test it side by side with the FXPs that I have as well as doing a side by side of the LM and MG MidPlus.

Larrysümmers
02-28-2012, 09:07 PM
im playing with the MG strung with nxt control and some wilson sample pack-got it on a trade-and its been a great hitting experience. didnt really like the LM but i think that was the poop string. and the fxp from what i remember was a spin machine for me. i was able to get some pretty nasty slice, and the topspin was easy to hit.

for me the radicals have always been that stick that has characteristics of both a "players frame" and a "tweener", as in the power, but it has a perfect blend of control and feel.

alidisperanza
02-28-2012, 09:26 PM
im playing with the MG strung with nxt control and some wilson sample pack-got it on a trade-and its been a great hitting experience. didnt really like the LM but i think that was the poop string. and the fxp from what i remember was a spin machine for me. i was able to get some pretty nasty slice, and the topspin was easy to hit.

for me the radicals have always been that stick that has characteristics of both a "players frame" and a "tweener", as in the power, but it has a perfect blend of control and feel.

Years ago, I played and developed my strokes exclusively with the LMs. I remember hitting the MG when it came out and not really liking it. The same applied for the FXP, I felt like it was a cannon. Now that my game has matured, I'm a little less sensitive to the discrepancies of a frame and can adapt. As soon as I settle on a poly setup that I really like I'll give the MG another shot. Unfortunately as expected with the start of my playtesting, my addiction for frames and strings has started anew. [Don't tell anyone but I'm itching to cheat on my radicals and buy another set of Aerogel 200g(s) again :( ]

parasailing
02-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I am about to get my hands on a IG Radical and have both the Microgel an Youtek version and for me, I like that they are making it a bit heavier and slightly stiffer. I tried the demo and felt it was a bit more solid and based on your specs, it's probably due to the added weight and increase stiffness.

Will update when I get a chance to string the IG up.

alidisperanza
02-28-2012, 10:19 PM
My LMs are actually all around 335 stock since they have silicone in the handle balanced @ ~32.5cm headlight which translates to about 5.6pts headlight. I find that they hit a bit more comfortable and are a touch more stable. The big test will be when I string up the MG to see how it plays. It's the biggest variance since I've been hitting the LM MPs for the most part

mad dog1
02-29-2012, 12:25 AM

+1.. The original Bummble Radical Tour is awesome.. then the zebra.. I think they are regressing thru time rather than improving anything..

agreed...i have a bumblebee radical tour OS and a twin tube radical tour OS candy cane both in like new condition which i am holding onto whereas i had 2 YT Rad OSs which i sold after 1 hit.

Cengusiento
02-29-2012, 12:39 AM
I've played with the intelligence radical, liquidmetal radical, flexpoint radical and youtek radical.

I would rate the LM Radical as the best overall value, because of the mix of power, control and stability it has. The downside of this frame is the lack of spin and stringbed liveliness.

In a close 2nd position the FLP Radical, better at services and hitting winners down the line, but struggling a bit with depth control and feel.

Then the youtek radical, good racket overall too, improved spin and confort but way too flexible and low powered for my taste.

And the least the i.radical. Great feel and outstanding control, but almost impossible to hit winners consistently with it

The new Youtek IG Radical looks great, I hope I can test it

TheRed
02-29-2012, 02:33 AM
I don't know how someone can say "impossible" to hit winners with. The Irad has one of the better radicals in terms of feel and stability. The rads have not gotten better nor worse. I'm not in the camp that always says the older racquets were better. Just nostalgia kicking in. The bumblebee was ok. When it was out, the PT 280 was the far superior stick. Now it's "classic" The "zebra" after it was better. More stable, solid but also a bit more muted. Both the I and Ti were nice as well, though with very different feel.
The LM was a solid stick and the LM rad was probably the best of all LM racquets (LM prestige is probably the worst prestige ever made). Still don't care for the LM's feel - it's too metallic feeling. FXP was a bust. YTK were ok, but nothing special. Seems like Head has gone back to their traditional feel with the IG series though. I'm impressed with all the IG prestiges I've played with. Trying out a IG Rad pro this week.

Automatix
02-29-2012, 04:24 AM

4 ------>2------>2------>2------->3 pts headlight If the racquets were manufactured according to spec than the weight and balance would be the same for all of these.

295g unstrung
325mm unstrung

Yourtenniscoach
02-29-2012, 06:45 AM

The Radicals were a serious players stick back in the mid-late 90s that came in around 12 ounces. The Radicals today are a pussified down version of what they once were.

TennisLovaLova
02-29-2012, 07:05 AM
The Radicals were a serious players stick back in the mid-late 90s that came in around 12 ounces. The Radicals today are a pussified down version of what they once were.

Lol@pussified but i have to agree
I made the switch from lmradical to the k90 you should all consider it...

mars76
02-29-2012, 07:27 AM
The only Radicals that are good are original versions.

LM Radical was my first radical and of late i have bought 4 Original Bumblebees (Radical Tour /Trysys 260) and they are great.

I haven't played with my LM Radical once i got these..

You can still find these racquets on auction sites..They are not really difficult to find. (or may be i got lucky and got four in few months timespan..)

Again if the current radicals works for you don't bother which radical is better.just enjoy hitting with what you like :-)

BobFL
02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
If the racquets were manufactured according to spec than the weight and balance would be the same for all of these.

295g unstrung
325mm unstrung

No. The specs come with tolerances. Tolerances are pretty much standard across industry.

alidisperanza
02-29-2012, 08:45 AM
The LM was a solid stick and the LM rad was probably the best of all LM racquets (LM prestige is probably the worst prestige ever made). Still don't care for the LM's feel - it's too metallic feeling. FXP was a bust. YTK were ok, but nothing special. Seems like Head has gone back to their traditional feel with the IG series though. I'm impressed with all the IG prestiges I've played with. Trying out a IG Rad pro this week.

I'd have to agree for the most part. The LM is certainly the crisp-est of the frames and I never found anything special with the FXPs (I only have 2 because of a friend). YT hit alright but wasn't worth the 150/frame upgrade for me. I'm hoping that now that my strokes have changed a bit I can "appreciate" some of the newer sticks better. I also have to agree with the YT and IG prestiges. I really enjoyed hitting both of the mids. Although a bit muted, very comfortable feel on both.

Lol@pussified but i have to agree
I made the switch from lmradical to the k90 you should all consider it...

I've hit many a k90 last summer. They're decent frames, just a bit too powerful for me. Again, my strokes have changed so maybe I'll give them another hit sometime.

Again if the current radicals works for you don't bother which radical is better.just enjoy hitting with what you like :-)

I don't think you understand the severity of this situation. If I won the lottery tomorrow I would buy a new house, and dig a tennis court in my basement. I would need a separate room solely to store my racquet and string collections...They say the first step to rehab is admitting you have a problem right? Well, this is my third relapse-- thankfully, I'm keeping it to radicals and the occasional AG200 for now...:)

The best part? The gf is ok with it provided she gets a walk in closet. :D

dnj30
02-29-2012, 08:56 AM
I can only speak to the difference between the the last 2 versions of the radicals. I think there is a significant difference between the current IG version and the YT version. i demoed both a few months ago while searching for a new stick. The youtek version just was too hard to control for me, too much power. I liked the ig version much better, seems like more of a control stick. i could really spin the hell out of it. Both were a little light for me tho, lacked that solid feeling when blocking back a good serve. Kinda flimsy feeling. i guess thats just a function of their weight. And once i demoed the YTPP i never touched either of the radicals again. But, i do think the ig version of the radical is a significant improvement over the youtek, its not just a new paint job your paying for.

alidisperanza
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
I can only speak to the difference between the the last 2 versions of the radicals. I think there is a significant difference between the current IG version and the YT version. i demoed both a few months ago while searching for a new stick. The youtek version just was too hard to control for me, too much power. I liked the ig version much better, seems like more of a control stick. i could really spin the hell out of it. Both were a little light for me tho, lacked that solid feeling when blocking back a good serve. Kinda flimsy feeling. i guess thats just a function of their weight. And once i demoed the YTPP i never touched either of the radicals again. But, i do think the ig version of the radical is a significant improvement over the youtek, its not just a new paint job your paying for.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

dje31
02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
...Problem is I have too many racquets to justify another purchase

That constitutes blasphemy around here...you will be burned at the stake as a witch!

Automatix
02-29-2012, 02:13 PM
No. The specs come with tolerances. Tolerances are pretty much standard across industry. Did you read my post?

IF the racquets were built to spec like Vantage they would have the same weight and balance.

alidisperanza
03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Just got my hands on a YT Rad Pro. Will be reporting shortly

alidisperanza
03-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm officially impressed. My new YT radical is 328g strung. I've never had a frame within 1g of "spec." Anyways. I had my first hit with it last night playing 4.5 doubles. It was strung with a full bed of BHB7 @ 48lbs on a constant pull Gamma 7500els. Here's what I noticed so far comparing it to my FXP Radical Tours:

- The YTRP definitely is a lot more arm friendly than it's FXP brother despite having the same stiffness rating.

-Despite the 6 point alleged difference in balance I found it an easy transition going from one to another. I'll have to measure my three frames to confirm definite balance and swingweight next time I can get to a RDC machine and balance board.

- Many of the previous posts I found about the YT were pretty accurate; it has quite a bit of pop. I enjoyed it most on my serve but found that some balls were going a touch long. Not a big deal but definitely contributed to a double fault or two when pushing for the line.

- I'm inclined to say that I "get" what head is advertising with this frame. When you hit a big ball, it feels like the frame pockets at first and then stiffens up to shoot the ball off the stringbed. I noticed this effect first when I hit the YT Prestige Mid last year and it's definitely present in the Radical.

More thoughts to come once I can get a good hit in and try different things. So far, though, I like the way it played and would definitely consider buying another if I can find one for the right price.

alidisperanza
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
The more I'm hitting with the YTs, the more I'm liking them. They feel great on the arm and are jiving really well with full beds of poly.