PDA

View Full Version : Does Djokovic move better than Federer on hard courts?

Shady_Sawyer
02-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Take a look at the first point of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JInQVyVaAfI&t=1m46s

Djokovic is gliding like an ice man on the court. I think he moves better than Federer ever did on hard courts. Discuss.

Cormorant
02-29-2012, 04:50 AM
You're going to want a bigger sample size than that, surely? Federer moved better than Djokovic at last year's RG, but I wouldn't take that to demonstrate his superior claycourt footwork overall.

merlinpinpin
02-29-2012, 04:55 AM
Today, especially over five sets, yes. Compared with Federer's heyday, no. Fed moved like greased lightning at the time.

joeri888
02-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Djokovic works and slides around the court. Federer's footwork is much smoother. There's no argument, clearly Djokovic is a better defender than Federer ever was. However, his style is a lot more taxing, and doesn't necessarily mean a better technique. I would be surprised if Djokovic keeps this up for another four years, plus I think purely footwork wise, Federer was better. Speed around the court and reach in defensive positions, Djokovic easily.

nereis
02-29-2012, 04:57 AM
They are entirely different style of movers.

Federer in his prime was fast but never seemed to be on a dead run because his anticipation was just too good. However, his movement around his backhand side has always been stronger than his movement out to the right for his running forehand.

Djokovic has more raw speed and compounded with sliding he can get to more balls. However, his movement to the right is also an area he can be exposed because when stretched out he either has to spin the ball cross court or go right for the winner down the line on the dead run.

celoft
02-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Today, especially over five sets, yes. Compared with Federer's heyday, no. Fed moved like greased lightning at the time.

This.........................

monfed
02-29-2012, 05:52 AM
Fed moving at his peak -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcyUEIt9Ws8

That's what you call gliding. What Djokovic does is sliding. Big difference. ;)

nereis
02-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Fed moving at his peak -

Now that's a trip down memory lane. We forget just how scary he used to be. He must have been going for winners on any of Agassi's rally balls.

monfed
02-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Now that's a trip down memory lane. We forget just how scary he used to be. He must have been going for winners on any of Agassi's rally balls.

Indeed! It was quite breathtaking to watch him float on court. :shock:

jackson vile
02-29-2012, 07:41 AM
Take a look at the first point of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JInQVyVaAfI&t=1m46s

Djokovic is gliding like an ice man on the court. I think he moves better than Federer ever did on hard courts. Discuss.

Novak is truly amazing, now think if Federer would put in more work and make the improvements Novak did.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
02-29-2012, 08:05 AM
I feel Federer is the better mover. His footwork is better and most importantly, it feels like he has the least amount of wasted energy not to mention the least taxing wear on his body. I'm still amazed that Federer has been able to play as long as he has without a major injury.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
02-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Novak is truly amazing, now think if Federer would put in more work and make the improvements Novak did.

It's called being 30 with two kids. Federer never had a let down at the end of the year the way Djoker did. I understand you like to throw out nonsensical comments, but come on man. What improvements could Federer make at this stage? 2004-2007 only one person was able to pick on his backhand. 1 person on the entire tour. It doesn't get much more solid then that.

NamRanger
02-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Djokovic looks like he moves better because he controls the court better off both wings together than Federer does. Federer has to play alot of neutral/defensive points off his backhand even during his prime, so really he actually is moving way more than Djokovic, who can pound anyone into the ground with his backhand.

Clarky21
02-29-2012, 08:40 AM
I feel Federer is the better mover. His footwork is better and most importantly, it feels like he has the least amount of wasted energy not to mention the least taxing wear on his body. I'm still amazed that Federer has been able to play as long as he has without a major injury.

Agreed. People have very short memories and have forgotten just how well Fed used to move. Djesus mania has taken over this forum since he started winning,and now there is not a single soul to have ever played tennis before him that did anything better than he does. Tennis begins and ends wiith Djesus to some people. It is so ridiculous all I can do is :lol:

Evan77
02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Djokovic looks like he moves better because he controls the court better off both wings together than Federer does. Federer has to play alot of neutral/defensive points off his backhand even during his prime, so really he actually is moving way more than Djokovic, who can pound anyone into the ground with his backhand.
this. Nole moves better, no question about it. yes, I do agree that Fed's foot work is better, absolutely amazing... but Nole moves like a cat, crazy

TMF
02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Fed moving at his peak -

Nole slide on every surface even if hc felt like sand paper. That's why he jammed his toe. It's much like Nadal try to stop on a dime after hitting on a run, looks painful. Meanwhile Fed played a boat load of matches on hc and doesn't have any problems. Nole and Nadal can take a few lessons from Federer to save their legs because they have a lot more tennis to play in the future, and they aren't cutting down hc tournaments in the future.

monfed
02-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Nole slide on every surface even if hc felt like sand paper. That's why he jammed his toe. It's much like Nadal try to stop on a dime after hitting on a run, looks painful. Meanwhile Fed played a boat load of matches on hc and doesn't have any problems. Nole and Nadal can take a few lessons from Federer to save their legs because they have a lot more tennis to play in the future, and they aren't cutting down hc tournaments in the future.

Great post. Glad you pointed out how Nole looks like he's gonna twist his ankle badly with those full stretched slides while Fed never ever looks like getting injured. Very important point indeed.

I'd also like to add that people tend to overlook how Fed makes his movement look ridiculously easy. It certainly is not and highlights his greatness.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
02-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Great post. Glad you pointed out how Nole looks like he's gonna twist his ankle badly with those full stretched slides while Fed never ever looks like getting injured. Very important point indeed.

I'd also like to add that people tend to overlook how Fed makes his movement look ridiculously easy. It certainly is not and highlights his greatness.

This. A great athlete makes you think that you can never do what they do. An amazing athlete makes it look so easy that anyone thinks they can do it.

Polaris
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Today: Novak is more explosive, but still not as smooth as Federer. He does benefit from having a more uniform game unlike Federer, who relies much more on his serve and forehand. Unfortunately for Novak, he plays a slower and more grinding game than Federer.

Over their careers: It is no contest. Federer wrote the book on effortless movement across the court. Djokovic has a long way to go before he reproduces that serene quality year-in-year-out. At his best, Federer glides; Djokovic merely runs.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
02-29-2012, 11:08 AM

I have no idea how they can slide on court like they're playing on clay. It just screams pain/injury to me. The way Nadal can bring his body to a sudden halt just amazes me in both a good and bad way. The good being that it's amazing he can do that and the bad being the stress it must put on the body.

pvaudio
02-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Federer's footwork and anticipation are superior. Djokovic's speed and agility are superior. Two different ways of covering the court better than the rest.

pvaudio
02-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Novak is truly amazing, now think if Federer would put in more work and make the improvements Novak did.Wow. Federer is heading towards the end of his career, while Novak is just getting into the best of his. When aged Federer takes ultra Djok to a GS loss and then to a couple of match points on the opposite surface, I'm not too sure Federer still needs to be tweaking the fundamentals of his game.

TMF
02-29-2012, 11:26 AM

With so many matches Fed had played, if he was moving like Nole by sliding and center splitting, he would be on wheelchair right now and wouldn't have accomplished as much !

Bad idea.

Shady_Sawyer
02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
All you Fed fans are not being honest. Here's UO 2011 semifinal. Watch the first 2 points. Djokovic has unreal movement on hard courts. Defense and Offense. He is like a machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXNc_iMkSIY&t=2m7s

I dont think Federer ever moved that well...maybe on grass but not on hard. Maybe he didnt need to because nobody except Safin and Agassi dared to dictate play against him during those times.

Polaris
02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
All you Fed fans are not being honest. Here's UO 2011 semifinal. Watch the first 2 points. Djokovic has unreal movement on hard courts. Defense and Offense. He is like a machine.

I dont think Federer ever moved that well...maybe on grass but not on hard. Maybe he didnt need to because nobody except Safin and Agassi dared to dictate play against him during those times.

Sigh. Facepalm.

veroniquem
02-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Do you mean at same age? Djoko moves a million times better than current Fed...

TennisFan3
02-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Fed's footwork is superior. But Djoko definitely has more flexibility and better defense. Not to mention his ROS is streetlights ahead of Fed.

Prime Fed vs Prime Djoker in movement on hardcourts is close, but one gets the feeling that on the faster UsOpen Fed would have the edge and the slower (AO type) Djoko would..

Biscuitmcgriddleson
02-29-2012, 12:42 PM

Ex 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpflSU_Yvps

Ex 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcVHvh55bP0#t=0m35s

Ex 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfb2PDlIc3o

I also feel it's harder to get to Agassi's hard flat shot opposed to ones loaded with spin.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
02-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Fed's footwork is superior. But Djoko definitely has more flexibility and better defense. Not to mention his ROS is streetlights ahead of Fed.

Prime Fed vs Prime Djoker in movement on hardcourts is close, but one gets the feeling that on the faster UsOpen Fed would have the edge and the slower (AO type) Djoko would..

I'd still say that against power servers Fed is better. Agree with the faster vs. slow, but I feel both courts have been slowen down and made much more spin friendly.

TTMR
03-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Oh of course, Federer has to be the best at everything. Numerous people chimed in to say in another thread Federer had the best drop shot on tour. Now he has the best movement.

Efficiency is irrelevant. Until and unless Djokovic gets seriously injured, you cannot hold his so-called 'inefficient' movement against him while at the same time letting Federer off the hook for his movement because of his age. Furthermore, I fail to see how sliding is in any way inefficient. I would be surprised if it doesn't require less energy than running the entire distance. But even if it is, pound for pound, Djokovic is faster, can cover more court and can reach more balls than Federer at peak or not. So can Nadal, and so can Murray. This is not to say Federer isn't a spectacular mover, and even better in the past. He set the standard. He has simply been superseded.

Nathaniel_Near
03-01-2012, 06:13 PM
^^

Oh dear...

devila
03-01-2012, 07:08 PM
djoker has little talent and lacks much footwork and anticipation. that's why he always improved his game and had long-overdue wins over every top player.

oops. fed fan boy sobs.