PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop 200 series (from Max 200 to current) - discuss

bluetrain4
02-29-2012, 08:40 AM
In high school a used a 200g derivative called the Max 300i (great frame, BTW). I moved on to non-Dunlop frames until I used the Revelation 200g.

My memory of the 200 line is:

[EDITED, thanks to poster Lavs. He corrected the Revelation-MW order.]

1. Max 200g
2. Revelation
3. Muscle Weave
4. Hotmelt
5. M-Fil
6. Aerogel
7. Areogel 4D
8. Bio

I'm thinking there had to be something between the Max 200g and the Muscle Weave.

Anyway, in addition to the 300i, I owned and played a lot with the Revelation, Hotmelt, Aerogel and Aerogel 4D. Also very familiary with the Muscle Weave. All fantastic sticks (many would disagree in regards to the Hotmelt).

Don't like the Bio, never really used the M-Fil. I did like the molds better for the ones I owned. Wasn't thrilled with the Bio, not happy they changed the head shape, though the shape itself (independent of other aspects) probably isn't why I didn't think it performed as well as my past 200s.

So, discuss. What are your favorite and least favorite 200s? I would say stick to discussing to the standard 200 in each line, but I'm assuming people will want to talk about the 200 Tour as well, so have at it.

I always thought a standard 200 with a 16x19 or 16x18 pattern would be a welcome addition. Though, I always loved my Dunlop 18x20s and if I had the choice, would probably choose 18x20, unlike with the Wilson 6.1 frames, where I've chosen the 16x18 over the 18x20.

Murrayalmagrofan
02-29-2012, 08:45 AM
These racquets definitely have me intrigued. I have a demo shipment arriving today which will include:

Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Plus
Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Tour

I'll leave my feedback in this thread by the end of the weekend.

Lavs
02-29-2012, 09:17 AM
good start!

few remarks:
--
(1) adjusted 200 lineup:
1. Max 200g
2. Revelation
3. Muscle Weave
4. Hotmelt
5. M-Fil
6. Aerogel
7. Areogel 4D
8. Bio
(Revelation line was released after Max200 and before MW)

(2) Wilson 6.1 has both 16x18 and 18x20 (EURO release) patterns.

As to 200 series - yes, those are pretty much serious rackets. I play currently with Revelation 200g 95 and really happy. Tried Wilson PSC 6.1 (18x20) - not enough plow for my taste. I found Rev200g having a little better plow through. I am about to demo Revelation Pro Tour soon (Tommy Robredo and Thomas Johansson stick of choice), it is 16x19, and as some people consider it being PSC clone.

All in all - Revelation line is best to me. Great rackets!

bluetrain4
02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
good start!

few remarks:
--
(1) adjusted 200 lineup:
1. Max 200g
2. Revelation
3. Muscle Weave
4. Hotmelt
5. M-Fil
6. Aerogel
7. Areogel 4D
8. Bio
(Revelation line was released after Max200 and before MW)

(2) Wilson 6.1 has both 16x18 and 18x20 (EURO release) patterns.

As to 200 series - yes, those are pretty much serious rackets. I play currently with Revelation 200g 95 and really happy. Tried Wilson PSC 6.1 (18x20) - not enough plow for my taste. I found Rev200g having a little better plow through. I am about to demo Revelation Pro Tour soon (Tommy Robredo and Thomas Johansson stick of choice), it is 16x19, and as some people consider it being PSC clone.

All in all - Revelation line is best to me. Great rackets!

Yes, Revelation was my favorite as well, with the original Arogel a second. In reference to the Wilsons, I did know that Wilson has both string patterns, but I was saying that with Dunlop I would choose 18X20 if I had a choice, as where with Wilson I'd choose the 16x18. My post was unclear.

Murrayalmagrofan
02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
So, discuss. What are your favorite and least favorite 200s? I would say stick to discussing to the standard 200 in each line, but I'm assuming people will want to talk about the 200 Tour as well, so have at it.
Sorry - I misread your thread.

My input would be pointless as I never played with any of the previous Dunlop 200 models.

lgbalfa
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
the only dunlop that i have used and still use is a hotmelt (300 series) but i am contemplating with purchasing the AG 4D 200 (18 x 20).

never hit with an 18 x 20 but that won't be a deciding factor in the purchase. i really like the specs and the feedback has been overall good.

LeeD
02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Used the 200 Max when I restarted tennis, switching from 2hbh to 1hbh. Hated it, small sweetspot, harsh, dead, like a heavy club. Liked the ChangOSExtended.
Bought Mfil 200 as a softer replacement for the HeadLMRadMid. Was fine, a little harsh feeling, a little soft in the head. For me, better vs hard hitting opponents.
Aero 200 was duller, mine heavier at 12.4 oz, more dampened, duller, and could hit against any heavy hitter. Unfortunately, I had trouble against weaker hitting players with it.
4D, 2 day demo, seemed a lighter and deader feeling version.
Bio200, just different to me. Lighter again, deader, stiffer top of the head, almost back to LMRadMid....which I've come to appreciate.

Hidious
02-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Dunlop's 200 line is an interesting one, which i love; it seems like they have 2 distinct molds in rotation (excluding the Max 200g and Revelation). They started with the MW mold which was a huge success (wider head with a tapered bridge) and then went to a different one for the Hotmelt (narrower head and thick bridge, but not as narrow as the Pro mold aka 300 tour). They kept this mold for the M-Fil and then went back to the MW mold for the Aerogel and Aerogel 4D versions. Now guess what? They just went back to the M-Fil mold for the new Bio 200!

I've personally played the M-Fil, then the Aerogel and went back to the M-Fil after a year and a half. I kind of forced myself to like the AG 200, which i did, but i remembered how i loved the M-Fil when i tried it again. I can't explain why some people complain about it's feel. I think it's great.

I was excited about the Bio 200, since they went back to my favorite mold, but i couldn't really play it properly last year because of the new buttcaps. My grip doesn't feel right. I'll install the old ones on my Bio 200s and will give them a try this season.

Lavs
03-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Just ordered last 4D 200 Tour from amazon.de for 69EUR (on sale). So next week I can clearly compare my beloved Revelation 200g with that one and Revelation Pro Tour. Will keep you updated :)