PDA

View Full Version : Prince EXO3

MUZZA1973
02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Ok, so i'm down to deciding between both the Rebel EXO3 98 and the Tour EXO3 100 (18X20)

Tall guy who plays a heap of doubles mainly.

Looking for touch/feel,comfort and power.

Thoughts always appreciated?

Cheers

Muzza

scotus
02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I've only played with EXO3 Tour, but based on specs, the Rebel might be a better choice for doubles. A bit lighter and more powerful. At 58RA, the Rebel should be quite comfortable as well.

I highly recommend demoing the racquets first. If you've never used the TW demo, I encourage you to try it. So easy and convenient.

kabrac
02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I would definitely use the Rebel. Just my OP.

SJSA
02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Feel is personal preference.
Tour is more comfortable. Some people on this board complained arm discomfort issue against Rebel 98.
Power level is not much different. Prince Power Level is 800 and 775 for Tour and Rebel 98.

BC1
02-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Muzza, Out of these two i believe you are going to have to make the call, and if possible demo for yourself. I am playing with the rebel 98 now and like it alot. I have also demoed the tours. The tours are more comfortable but i could never get consistent with them. I honestly didnt feel like i was good enough for that racquet as it requires a solid stroke to get the most out of it. The rebel 98 is definitely a little more forgiving as you dont have to swing perfectly, but when you do you are rewarded. The weight, balance and flex of the 98 is good for about anyone at any level 3.5 and up. You can't go wrong with either. As far as arm discmfort with the rebel, just use a multi or soft poly at lower tension and you shouldn't have any problems.

MUZZA1973
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Also after a good string set up for either of the two sticks...

Cheers

gsuede
02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
No arm trouble here with the Rebel. I found the tour underpowered I love the rebel power when you need it and great spin

MUZZA1973
02-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Cos i work so many long hrs,hard to get to demo these racquets.

After a heap of reviews,something is swaying me towards the EXO3 Tour 100 18x20...

Love some more thoughts/experiences.

Cheers

Arthuro
02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Its a great racquet. I personally play with the Prince Rebel 95. I have strung and hit with the tour in both 18x20 and 16 main variations. They are nice racquets. If you are going to want easier spin and accessibility the Tour is the way to go. 18x20 is my personal preference, but that is because I have always played with that pattern and like the feel of that denser configuration, but there is nothing wrong with either. Just personal preference and playing style. Given what you said above, I think the TOUR is a safe bet. With the rebel it is a love/hate relationship especially if you don't have the ability to personally customize.

klementine79
02-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Past sticks you've used.. reasons why you liked them or didn't? Topspin/baseliner or all courter/likes the net? Need a racquet that boosts your serve or have enough power and needs control?

------
Stock, the Rebel98 will feel heavier (on swing) than the exo3Tour100 but at the same token, will come through the zone quicker.

I play(ed) a ton with exo3Tour100(18x20) and it's a great doubles stick. Don't know how you feel about the Prince 'feel' but the exoT100 is unique in this sense. Almost has the flex of some old school aluminum frames, bendy shaft.

If you customize your sticks, the flex and feel of the exoT100 takes to the extra weight like a dream. I had mine weighed up 360+ grams and they were still comfortable.

Haven't swung the Rebel98. But it is slightly stiffer, boxier-thicker beam, close to 15grams lighter and more head-heavy.

jonestim
02-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I haven't played the Rebel, but I have Tours in both string patterns. These days I prefer the 18x20 as I am more consistent with my shot placement which is more important to me than massive spin - but the spin is still good on this. In the summer I ran full poly, but now that it is cold I am using gut/syn gut hybrid and am quite pleased. I'll probably try a gut/poly hybrid as soon as the snow melts a bit. Folks seem to like that a bunch.

One benefit of the Tour is that there are usually a number of them for sale in the marketplace. Buy one used and if you take care of it you should be able to resell it for about what you paid for it if you don't like it. You would only be out shipping and paypal fees.

saltair
03-01-2012, 04:20 AM
I am playing with the tour 18x20. It is a wonderful raquet at net. Quick and maneuverable with good touch. Enjoying some nice doubles so far with it.

MUZZA1973
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Heavily leaning towards the Tour 100...

MUZZA1973
03-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the input,appreciated greatly!

themitchmann
03-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I think the Rebel is the better all around stick, while the Tour really shines at the baseline. The Rebel, having a slightly higher flex, is a little more stable at the net (my opinion at least).

Like Arthuro, I play the 95 (and really like it), so I might be biased when it comes to yellow racquets ;)

I know a bunch of players that are loving their Tours. You can't go wrong with either stick. I hope you get a chance to demo.

kimguroo
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
+1 for rebel

I've been using Japanese rebel 95 (310g) and 105 for a while. I tried some other rackets because of lack of power but I decided to stay with Rebels and build my technique/game with it. There is no magical rackets haha. I thought about demoing new rebels but stay with my old ones.

I demoed tour but never like it.
Just make some list and try to find answer yourself.

For me
Control, boxed beam, thinner beam was more important so rebels were my choice even though tour gives more power and spin. Actually Rebel 105 has more power so 105 is my back up rackets. Nowadays natural gut main and poly cross help me for power.

sansaephanh
03-01-2012, 08:35 PM
+1 Rebel. It's a nice fusion of players stick and tweener. It IS really string sensitive though. I had to put a stiffer synth gut to get the power and depth i wanted. The one that came with the demo felt... bad lol. I'd switch if someone wanted to had me some, but I have no money for the switch.

themitchmann
03-02-2012, 04:59 AM
+1 Rebel. It's a nice fusion of players stick and tweener. It IS really string sensitive though. I had to put a stiffer synth gut to get the power and depth i wanted. The one that came with the demo felt... bad lol. I'd switch if someone wanted to had me some, but I have no money for the switch.

When the 98 demo came in, it was strung with Syn Gut Multi at a super low tension (and looks like it was strung very poorly). I cut it out immediately and hybridded with Beast XP/Syn Gut Multi.

MUZZA1973
03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Decisions...

JackB1
03-03-2012, 07:27 AM
When the 98 demo came in, it was strung with Syn Gut Multi at a super low tension (and looks like it was strung very poorly). I cut it out immediately and hybridded with Beast XP/Syn Gut Multi.

I have my EXO3 Warrior strung with Beast 17 and Attack 17 and its a very nice combo.

tennismonkey
03-03-2012, 08:34 AM
what level dubs do you play? do you have full strokes or short/medium strokes? do you like your racquet to help with some of the heavy lifting?

MUZZA1973
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Intermediate level of doubles i play each week but looking for a regular partner to hit some more in the attempt to step up my game some.

Full strokes and a fairly flat hitter..

kimguroo
03-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Looking for touch/feel,comfort and power.

Full strokes and a fairly flat hitter..

comfort < Rebel
power > tour
Flat hitter < Rebel
Control < Rebel

if you choose Rebel, you might not like power but Natural gut and poly Hybrid might help the problem though. I think demo will be only option for you because your decision should be based on your personal preferences.

sansaephanh
03-03-2012, 11:09 PM
comfort < Rebel
power > tour
Flat hitter < Rebel
Control < Rebel

if you choose Rebel, you might not like power but Natural gut and poly Hybrid might help the problem though. I think demo will be only option for you because your decision should be based on your personal preferences.

agreed. As much as I'd like to say, "Rebel or stop playing tennis" we all know there is a plethora of rackets out there with every type of discrepancy, even within exact same models and re-releases.

These two rackets aren't your only two choices and you probably shouldn't limit yourself to them.

Good luck anyways.