PDA

View Full Version : Whose game's more effective? (97-98 Anna K./Christina McHale)

_craze
02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm looking for an effective gamestyle to adopt, and the current men aren't really doing it, for me.

Of course, the WTA is slacking, now: I've looked, for a while, and I'm impressed with the mental game she plays. I also like the variety she has. It's something I've longed to see in the WTA, often. She almost always seems to hit each shot, with a purpose: as in, with it meaning to lead into a planned play; especially when she's serving.

I really love Kournikova's style, too, in her prime (these seem to be the years, iinm. I loved her speed, and she's definitely among one of the fastest players that I saw. She had pretty nice volley skills, as well, and a wonderful drop shot/volley, that worked without fail.

They are both pretty good baseliners, too. I imagine McHale hits weaker than Kournikova, because the latter hit mostly flat shots; but she also has great consistency. I think they both play(ed) intelligently, though. Obviously, more so, for McHale.

So, if I'm to take elements of my game, should I work on my drop shot, or develop my forward moving mindset? I tend to chip/charge, enough, as it is.

I'm not going to talk about each player's negatives: e.g., working on my 2nd serve is the priority, right now; and so is keeping calm, against players that I know are much better than me. But I just need a diverse style, to accentuate my game.

So whose style would be more effective, in general? Whose style "has" been more effective, in general?

li0scc0
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm looking for an effective gamestyle to adopt, and the current men aren't really doing it, for me.

Of course, the WTA is slacking, now: I've looked, for a while, and I'm impressed with the mental game she plays. I also like the variety she has. It's something I've longed to see in the WTA, often. She almost always seems to hit each shot, with a purpose: as in, with it meaning to lead into a planned play; especially when she's serving.

I really love Kournikova's style, too, in her prime (these seem to be the years, iinm. I loved her speed, and she's definitely among one of the fastest players that I saw. She had pretty nice volley skills, as well, and a wonderful drop shot/volley, that worked without fail.

They are both pretty good baseliners, too. I imagine McHale hits weaker than Kournikova, because the latter hit mostly flat shots; but she also has great consistency. I think they both play(ed) intelligently, though. Obviously, more so, for McHale.

So, if I'm to take elements of my game, should I work on my drop shot, or develop my forward moving mindset? I tend to chip/charge, enough, as it is.

I'm not going to talk about each player's negatives: e.g., working on my 2nd serve is the priority, right now; and so is keeping calm, against players that I know are much better than me. But I just need a diverse style, to accentuate my game.

So whose style would be more effective, in general? Whose style "has" been more effective, in general?

It depends on your own abilities, patience, and overall playing style.
Tell us more on those, and will try to help.

_craze
02-29-2012, 05:26 PM
I prefer to think of myself as an something between a defensive baseliner and net-player. I can volley pretty well, on shots from the open court, but I'm working on hitting winners, from the baseline.

I'm looking for a more effective game, in general, though. I'm pretty good in defense, though, I'd say. Actually, I take it back: my balls usually topsping a foot or two, into the court, but I don't usually flatten them. My patience is low...I tend to get bored, on the court, if I'm doing too well, or serving poorly. I'm pretty indifferent, towards errors.

So what game has worked the best? Will it help me, or is the difference in level too great?

sureshs
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
What is your level?

_craze
02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I'd say between 3.5 and 4.

Does it make a difference?

fundrazer
02-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Yes, because depending on your level you will not be able to play certain styles effectively enough. Some people will say things like they're a 3.0 all court player when in reality they probably do not have the shots to play an all court game.

I'm going to suggest something from FYB. Get yourself into the habit of doing easy 1-2 type shot combinations. Slice serve, hit 2nd ball into the open court. Stuff like that. Adjust it depending on how your opponent reacts. Other plays depend on your opponents weaknesses. That's really the key to any sport or game, playing your strengths against their weaknesses.

_craze
03-01-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm not 3.0. The only inconsistent part of my game is my serve.

I can drop shot well but not drop volley. I'm working on my mental game right now. I'm going into the net a lot too. Is t
Your suggestion a particular style? Thats what really interests me...yknow when you pm have the basics.

It sounds like a McHale plan.