PDA

View Full Version : Vintage question

fortun8son
02-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I was brought a Pro Kennex Blue Ace thrift store find to string.
I understand the pattern, but the string holes are slightly staggered.
It seemed right to start with a hard weave, but after the shared holes, it seemed like all the crosses were doing soft weaves at the frame.
Should I redo it starting with a soft weave?
Would it matter?
I used Pro's Pro Gut Power @ 65.

Irvin
02-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Start with a hard weave just like the Prince Vortex rackets. It does matter the grommet holes are staggered to hold the outside string in place.

Clintspin
03-01-2012, 03:32 AM
I would be interested in hearing from stringers of the wood era on this one. I have two Blue Aces both that still have string in them from back in the day. Both do not start with a hard weave. I have to assume that whomever strung them knew a little about stringing them. Maybe CoachRick can answer this question.

These Blue Aces have not been affected by stringing them without the hard weave. They both look good and the stringbed is nice and tight. Pretty much all of the wood racquets have staggered holes. I personally have strung my woods both ways without feeling a difference.

RetroSpin
03-01-2012, 06:56 AM
For a stringing neophyte, what's the difference in a hard and soft weave?

Racquet-Priority
03-01-2012, 07:21 AM
A head weave means the string goes over the highest en under the lower strings.

Steve Huff
03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I don't recall any manufacturer, except Prince, specifying which way to start.

fortun8son
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I strung it starting hard weave.
Next time I'll start soft and see if he can tell the difference.
I kinda doubt it.

Irvin
03-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I strung it starting hard weave.
Next time I'll start soft and see if he can tell the difference.
I kinda doubt it.

Well let's assume you have a 16x19 racket with hard weaves on all the outside strings. If you string it with hard weaves you have a 16x19, but if you have the outside strings floating between the intersecting string you have a 14x17.

Clintspin
03-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Not really. They don't fit so loose that the string pattern looks, plays or feels different. Check out a few of your old woods laying around.

fortun8son
03-02-2012, 10:47 PM
The Blue Ace is not really all that staggered, just the six center mains. The others are very subtle.
And it has those shared holes at 6,7,and9H, 7and 9T

Irvin
03-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Not really. They don't fit so loose that the string pattern looks, plays or feels different. Check out a few of your old woods laying around.

On the 'woodie' I have the string holes are staggered on the outside but not on the inside of the racket. All the holes are on the same parallel plane inside the racket. If a cross string going from the 5th to the 6th grommet hole went down on the outside of the frame to get back to parallel it would have to go up inside the frame. On that upward path if it goes over the outside main there will be less friction than if it went under. Less friction is more tension and more tension plays different. It may not be enough you a player to immediately pick up but there is a difference.

If the string holes on the inside of the racket are staggered they going over or under will cause the outside string to float between the intersecting strings and you will have a greater difference.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the old Prince Vortex racket that shows what I am talking about. On the Prince the string enter on the outside the frame and go straight through the frame so they are staggered on both sides.

http://cdn2.sulitstatic.com/images/2010/1206/005725909_vortex3.jpg

String that racket will all soft weaves on the outside string and you have a 14x17 racket instead of a 16x19.

Irvin
03-03-2012, 04:13 AM
And do not forget this:

ITF Rules of Tennis Appendix II

The hitting surface, defined as the main area of the stringing pattern bordered by the points of entry of the strings into the frame or points of contact of the strings with the frame, whichever is the smaller, shall be flat and consist of a pattern of crossed strings connected to a frame and alternately interlaced or bonded where they cross...

If two strings are on different planes are they interlaced?

EDIT: INTERLACED - Bind intricately together; interweave.

Clintspin
03-03-2012, 05:42 AM
The Vortex or Prince Synergy are far different from a wood racquet. Your picture shows that. Take a couple of side views just like the one you took of the vortex only wood this time and you will clearly see it's not enough of a factor.