PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive users, advice please?

babar
03-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Dear Pure Drive users,

I've been searching for a racquet with some inherent power. I have tried many tweener frames and found the Pure Drive to be the best of the bunch. My issue has to do with arm soreness after a long 3 set match using a PD demo strung with Babolat Addiction 16g at 58lbs.

In your experience, does that arm soreness go away as I become acclamated to the frame or will that persist?
Also, can I even consider using a soft co-poly like MSV or Weisscannon strung at 45-48lbs?
Finally, the 4-3/8 grip felt big to me even as I use a 4-3/8 Prince Graphite, so do you suggest going down to 4-1/4?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Fuji
03-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Dear Pure Drive users,

I've been searching for a racquet with some inherent power. I have tried many tweener frames and found the Pure Drive to be the best of the bunch. My issue has to do with arm soreness after a long 3 set match using a PD demo strung with Babolat Addiction 16g at 58lbs.

In your experience, does that arm soreness go away as I become acclamated to the frame or will that persist?
Also, can I even consider using a soft co-poly like MSV or Weisscannon strung at 45-48lbs?
Finally, the 4-3/8 grip felt big to me even as I use a 4-3/8 Prince Graphite, so do you suggest going down to 4-1/4?

I've owned a fair share of Babolats, (and I still use them all the time!) So I hope I can help here.

1) Babolat PD grip sizes do indeed run 1 size large. I've found this in every one I have tried. I use a size 4 grip, and the size 3 is what I use in Babolat.

2) That soreness won't go away, more then likely. The only way it would is if you are stringing with gut or a very soft multi.

3) Poly is probably out of the question for you, even at lower tensions. The PD is a stiff stick, and poly coupled with it can do a fair amount of damage.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

-Fuji

Korso
03-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I have the Pure Drive Roddick which plays a bit softer than the regular Pure Drive because of the extra weight in my opinion. I put a softer synthetic grip on it and now it plays extremly soft with low tension polys.

Hi I'm Ray
03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Dear Pure Drive users,

I think I can relate. I tried many, many tweeners and there was something about the Babolats that just clicked with my game. Have you tried the Aeropro Drive GT? I wanted to like the PD GT but it was just too stiff for my arm. For me the PDGT & APDGT share many playing qualities/characteristic but the APDGT was just much more comfortable. I couldn't play with much with the PDGT using Babolat addiction either, still too harsh. By contrast I have been using a co-poly/syn gut hybrid in the ADPGT for over a year without arm issues. Addiction is a really soft feeling string so if you can't use that, a poly is probably going to be too stiff. If the arm soreness isn't muscle soreness, but rather from shock/the racket being to harsh, its most likely going to get worse with time.

If you have already tried the APDGT and must go with the PD, using a syn gut in the crosses instead of all poly definately helps to protect your arm. A poly that was slightly harsh to me at 51/53lbs was actually very comfortable at 44/44lbs (hybrid), so dropping the tension down does help. Also, if you use a thinner gauge poly the comfort noticeably increases as well.

Have not used the 2012 PD yet. Heard many people say the Roddick version is more comfortable than the standard PD, the TW review of the 2012 version also says the same.

Chyeaah
03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
When I played the APDGT as a demo with XCel or some other highend multi, I'm pretty sure it was XCel, it was more comfortable with decent shots but if you shank a ball or mishit on a fast swinging shot/put away, your arm will die instantly.

Have you tried a more comfortable tweener, Pro Open is more comfortable and very similar, Yonex 100S/98D, the new Exo3 Warrior has been getting good reviews as well and don't forget the DC Pro.

Ramon
03-02-2012, 03:44 AM
You might consider a softer string. Babolat Addiction in one of the stiffest multifilaments out there, and it is tough on the arm. Prince Premier Attack is in the same price range, it's much softer, and IMO it plays better too. There are some multifilaments that are even softer, and you'll find them in other threads.

I demoed some racquets recently to replace my APDGT (I had elbow problems with it). Here's the link:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413091

I ended up getting the Pro Kennex Ki 5x, but to be honest, it's more of a players frame than a tweener. If I wanted to stay with a tweener frame, I probably would have demoed the Prince Warrior and Wilson BLX Pro Open.

babar
03-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've tried the new Warriors and they felt really comfortable. I feel they don't have the power level of the new PD. I will try the new BLX Pro Open and the new Yonex Xi100 this weekend to see if those might work.

I've tried the new APDGT also a few months ago. The spin and power were good, but the racquet felt unstable against heavy hitters.

In terms of a hybrid set-up, would you all recommend lower tension on the poly mains and higher on the multi crosses?

Thanks.

KenC
03-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Dear Pure Drive users,

The arm soreness will most likely go away if it is just nagging muscle soreness. Note that you are using a stiff frame with a fairly high tension and your arm is going to have to deal with a lot of the impact. If it is tendon soreness you might want to consider another frame.

I would recommend using Head's Rip Control in that frame at a lower tension, like 54-55 lbs. It plays like a soft string and is somewhat muted, and is a perfect match for the PD which can be a bit pingy.

As for the grip size, it seems Bab's are about a half size bigger than most. If you use an overgrip, you could put on a leather grip underneath which will compress down more, plus the extra weight on the handle adds a little more stability and you feel the bevels better with leather, especially under an overgrip.

Lastly, Bab makes another powerful racquet that is much more arm friendly, the Pure Storm. The Tour version is an amazing racquet and has about the same power as the PD but with a lot more control. The regular version is OK, but it is evenly balanced and could benefit from a little more weight on the handle.

Chyeaah
03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
I've tried the Xi98 and it feels nothing like the PDGT, maybe 100 is more but the feel is completely different. I reckon the V-Core's are more similar in feel. Maybe a Bio 500T.

NMTennis
03-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I have a Babolat Pure Drive Team (pre-cortex) version and have had some arm issues recently as well. Play with two racquets - one with a multi (experimenting with different multis, but looking for soft, lively multis) and one with a hybrid (currently BHBR hybrided with head fibergel). Multi strung at 58 lbs and poly at 53.

After the end of a long session, arm will hurt. Mainly elbow, general soreness and arm fatigue mainly. No particular spot of discomfort like tennis elbow or golf elbow.

1) Would the newer Pure Drives with cortex (2012) be better for arm issues?
2) Would you drop the tension and use only multis? suggestions for soft, lively multis include Dunlop Explosive Synthetic and Prince Premier Attack. Currently like the way Ematrix plays initally, but poor durability and loses playbility kinda quickly. Tried Rip Control, but felt dead to me and didn't like it at all.

Thanks for your help....

Power Player
03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I would recommend using Head's Rip Control in that frame at a lower tension, like 54-55 lbs. It plays like a soft string and is somewhat muted, and is a perfect match for the PD which can be a bit pingy.

Heck yes,I agree with this (i'm using RIP in one of mine and 59#s is too tight).

YesTennis
03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I just tried the 2012 Pure Drive yesterday for a 1 hour lesson with a teaching pro. Was only working on ground strokes. Really enjoyed the power and control. Strung with VS mains/ RPM crosses, at 60 lbs. Noticed today that there is some tenderness when I push on the upper area of my forearm, approaching the elbow. This is on both sides (medial and lateral). Do you think this is just generalized muscle soreness due to the racquet, or do you think this is the start of tennis elbow? Should I switch to a less stiff racquet, or play with the Pure Drive again to see what happens? Any thoughts much appreciated

sunof tennis
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Having suffered from TE, I would advise caution. First thing I would do is get my arm checked out by a doctor (Ideallly a doctor specializing in sports medicine). Assuming that the doctor okays you to play, I would cut the RPM out and replace with either a very soft poly or even better a synthetic gut for your crosses. I would also buy a elbow brace, use an anti-imflammaotry before you play and ice afterwards. Lastly, I would do a search for elbow/arm exercise which well help prevent problems from recurring.
If after you have done all these things, you still have arm problems get a different racquet and take lessons from a qualified pro as many arm problems are due to poor mechanics.

anubis
03-15-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a question too. I just picked up a used PDGT and I was surprised to find out that it's not as powerful of a racquet as I thought. I've read reviews and ppl said it was like a rocket launcher. But compared to my Six One Tour, I really see no difference. I get A TON more spin on the ball than I do with my Six One Tour, but no more power.

Although I have to say, if I'm behind the baseline, i, more often than not, get the ball over the net where my Six One Tour did not. That seemed to not have enough oomph to get over the net with a lot of top spin.

The PDGT just usually sails right over the net, sometimes just clipping it. But after about a 2 hour practice today, perhaps 5 shots made it into the net, wher the Six One Tour would have been 4 times that.

Other than that, the general pace was not much different. I admit I can't generate much power, but I was certainly not overpowering my opponent.

Lastly, I bought it off of e b a y and it came with poly strings... after 2 hours my wrist hurt A LOT. Still does, hours afterwards. My Six One tour came with RPM blast as well from e b a y... first thing this saturday I'm going to get both strung with PPA 16... i hear that's a nice soft multi.

Otherwise, the PDGT is one of the nicest racquets i've ever hit with.

Power Player
03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Add some lead as well. The ppa is good but not as much control as I prefer.