PDA

View Full Version : head prestige s

acintya
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
how is the new head prestige s? had someone play with it ?

Dgdavid
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
I have it. Played 3 sets with it so far. Nice and surprisingly solid for its weight. Needs a faster swing but noticeably more control/accuracy than my Rebel 98 for instance. Not as solid as my Prestige Midplus but more pace and spin (but I need a faster swing to keep things in). I got it because my Pro was to sluggish in fast singles matches. I prefer the S.

If I didn't keep getting dragged back to my Midplus, it would be my primarily racket (and still might be).

YesTennis
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I also have been using the Prestige S. I had a short hit with it, and listed it on the For Sale forum( no response by the way). I have been using it a bit more the past week, and the racquet is really growing on me. The power level is low/medium. I'm really impressed by the "feel" of the racquet. It is very solid and has the "Prestige feel" that I think Chris (tester at TW) described. I was testing a few "tweeners," and this racquet doesn't have any hollow feel that some of the others did. Just a very solid racquet at a manageable SW, etc... Some might prefer to add a little lead to get some more plow through, but play fine for me stock. The racquet has a players feel, in a lighter package. At my level, I might still be better with a more traditional tweener. Check the FS forum if you're interested in a good price on a used model.

JackB1
03-05-2012, 04:14 PM
I tried it and found it very unforgiving on off center hits. Power level was very low as well. I couldn't recommend this unless you are a pretty accomplished player who hits dead center most of the time and can supply your own power all the time.

srvnvly
03-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I tried it and found it very unforgiving on off center hits. Power level was very low as well. I couldn't recommend this unless you are a pretty accomplished player who hits dead center most of the time and can supply your own power all the time.

I second Jack's response - if you are looking for a tweener, look elsewhere

etd
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Would this be worth looking at if you want a lighter player's racquet (such as a lighter version of the IG Prestige MP)?

Thanks!

JackB1
03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Would this be worth looking at if you want a lighter player's racquet (such as a lighter version of the IG Prestige MP)?

Thanks!

Yes. That is precisely what it is.

YesTennis
03-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Anybody have any string recommendations for this racquet? The prevailing wisdom is that this racquet is somewhat underpowered, so wondering if it would be best to string with a full bed multi/gut, or hybrid. Appreciate any thoughts.

Dgdavid
03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
If you have a Prestige like swing, you won't find it underpowered. I didn't coming from the Midplus.

CesarMorales92
03-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Anybody customized a prestige S

dhv
03-15-2012, 05:31 AM

What string and tension have you used? I am wondering if it will play well with a multifilament at low tension. The recommended range is 48-57 pounds, let's say 48-50. It should have more power and a larger sweetspot. Hopefully the control will still be there. What do you guys think?

JackB1
03-15-2012, 06:57 AM
What string and tension have you used? I am wondering if it will play well with a multifilament at low tension. The recommended range is 48-57 pounds, let's say 48-50. It should have more power and a larger sweetspot. Hopefully the control will still be there. What do you guys think?

I tried it with natural gut and low tension and it still wasn't acceptable for me personally. If you are below 4.0 rated, I think there are lots of better choices out there.

wao
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
I tried it and found it very unforgiving on off center hits. Power level was very low as well. I couldn't recommend this unless you are a pretty accomplished player who hits dead center most of the time and can supply your own power all the time.Would agree from my demo, found it garing on off centered hits. I was not impressed on handeling hard paced balls at the baseline or net. It felt that it was unstable and twisted.

Ojibway
03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
How is Prestige S compared to Radical MP?

CesarMorales92
04-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Jack ... Your right its not stable at all

retlod
04-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I found it too light when I demoed it out of curiosity. It does indeed have the feel of a prestige, but to be as headlight as it is in a package that's that light overall just didn't work for me. I found it too easy to start using too much wrist flick, almost like a racquetball racquet. The lack of mass also made it pretty unstable when the balls were coming in hot. Such a light frame needs to be more head heavy to be useful, IMO. Advanced players need beefier frames. Intermediates need tweeners. Beginners need head-heavy frying pans. The Prestige S is none of those things, and thus, isn't a good fit for anyone. I think HEAD swung and missed with this one.

CesarMorales92
04-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Haha and I have 3 of these bad boys leaded its fine but eh wish I bought the pure storm.ltd Gt instead

JackB1
04-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I found it too light when I demoed it out of curiosity. It does indeed have the feel of a prestige, but to be as headlight as it is in a package that's that light overall just didn't work for me. I found it too easy to start using too much wrist flick, almost like a racquetball racquet. The lack of mass also made it pretty unstable when the balls were coming in hot. Such a light frame needs to be more head heavy to be useful, IMO. Advanced players need beefier frames. Intermediates need tweeners. Beginners need head-heavy frying pans. The Prestige S is none of those things, and thus, isn't a good fit for anyone. I think HEAD swung and missed with this one.

^^^
Nailed it! :-)

li0scc0
04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
The only way I like the Prestige S is with lots of lead. At that point, why not get the Prestige Pro? It has a thinner beam than the S. The only way I can see going with the Prestige S is if you play purely baseline and want a lighter player's racquet. It is not stable enough stock for volleys, in my opinion. Your results may vary.

skeeter
04-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm actually kinda digging on the Prestige S right now (I'm a 4.0/4.5, 1HBH, all-courter, dubs and singles). Started off with the IG Midplus and though I liked many things about it, felt a bit sluggish on certain shots (particularly serves and volleys) and seemed a little heavy after 3 sets. Demo'd the S and now have it out for a "long term" trial. I added about 2 grams at 12, 3 grams at top of handle, and with overgrip and dampener, all comes to about 11.8 oz; perfect for me. The lead seems to add a bit more stability on harder hit shots, volleys are great, and getting some good pop on serves now. The more open string pattern may have helped in the power department a bit, but I also think the right strings bring this racquet some real life. I'm using gut mains and Head Rip Control crosses (57/54) at the moment and feels pretty dang nice. I've just been using it about 2 weeks now and dodging rainy weather, so still getting used to it, but so far so good.

pattenww
04-10-2012, 03:49 AM
I am a 3.5/4.0 player coming back from a year off with elbow problems. I took my micro rad out and quickly recognized i needed an open pattern for more comfort (had is strung with MCS) and plusher feel (i do not find the rad a soft and plush as others). I tried an bunch of rackets and for me the prestige s nailed it - strung with fxp tour the pocketing is amazing and the headlight balance and weight makes 1hbh a bit easier on my elbow.

I think of it as more of an instinct tour vs a prestige team.....

I may need to snatch a 295 gram frame to use till i build up strength, but am keeping the prestige s...

If I ever find it a bit to head light i can always put a little lead on the head.

rb__11
06-10-2012, 03:01 PM
what strings work best for this stick? and how much lead did you guys put into this racquet?