PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Nalbandian

Boricua
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
The other day in Argentina, Claro Cup, Nalby destroyed Monaco. A week later he loses to Santiago Giraldo in straights. I wish he would be more consistent and have his high level tennis all the time, like Federer does. But, this is not new in Nalby. Still, great player and not done yet.

Mike Sams
03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Nalbandian is done. He's no challenge to the top players.

LeeD
03-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Top pro for sure, but top of the 3rd tier, bottom of the 2nd.
What can you do with only 5'10" height, no weapons except speed and consistent hitting?

nissrro
03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
im guessing he will probably float around in the top 50..not sure if he crack into the top 20 again though...i hope he does! certainly has the ability to do so..

moonpie
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Hope his recent "inconsistency" is due to fatigue more than anything else. Even at 30, when rested and in form , he is still awesome. He played DC and then right to BA and now Acapulco. Maybe he'll do better in IW with this week's break. Looking forward to some great tennis from Nalby.

Boricua
03-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Top pro for sure, but top of the 3rd tier, bottom of the 2nd.
What can you do with only 5'10" height, no weapons except speed and consistent hitting?

Well, his angles and his backhand down the line are weapons indeed. Very elegant game. Ferrer is 5'8 with no apparent weapons and is number 5 in the world.

In his prime, Nalbandian was 3 in the world and beat Federer, Nadal to name just two . So, he is not anybody.

Injuries have not helped him though.

He is a good hard court player and should do better in Miami and Indian Wells, lets hope.

LeeD
03-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Oh sorry.
I didn't know we were talking about a VINTAGE Nalby. I thought we were talking about a current Nalby.
OK, LewHoad is the best player out there. DJ's parents were kids then.

Boricua
03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Oh sorry.
I didn't know we were talking about a VINTAGE Nalby. I thought we were talking about a current Nalby.
OK, LewHoad is the best player out there. DJ's parents were kids then.

Well we are not talking about Mac and Borg, who are in there 50s. Nalbandian is still good and still young. I think he can still elevate his game. Lets see what happens in 2012. Well resumethis talk in December.:)

pmerk34
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Well, his angles and his backhand down the line are weapons indeed. Very elegant game. Ferrer is 5'8 with no apparent weapons and is number 5 in the world.

In his prime, Nalbandian was 3 in the world and beat Federer, Nadal to name just two . So, he is not anybody.

Injuries have not helped him though.

He is a good hard court player and should do better in Miami and Indian Wells, lets hope.

Ferrer is Rod laver with two fisted backhand

blackfrido
03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
The other day in Argentina, Claro Cup, Nalby destroyed Monaco. A week later he loses to Santiago Giraldo in straights. I wish he would be more consistent and have his high level tennis all the time, like Federer does. But, this is not new in Nalby. Still, great player and not done yet.

it happens to be that Santiago was the finalist after beating couple of well ranked players :)

GRANITECHIEF
03-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Santiago playing well lately, moving up steadily since being beat in Davis Cup at home.

He won first round today.

Nalbandian still very capable of high level wins and always a pleasure to watch.

Cormorant
03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
The ball was completely invisible in the execrable stream I viewed for the Volandri-Nalbandian match in Feb, but I could still tell it was a vintage display of mouthwatering play from both. I wish a quarter of the guys matched up as well as these two do on clay.

But it's hard not to get wrapped up in a results-based perspective on Nalbandian's career, instead of just appreciating him for who he is. Several times I've cursed the boor for robbing tennis fans of seasons-that-might've-been, but that's just plain unfair; apart from the boor bit.

"He is the worst rubbish there is".
-David Nalbandian, on Tim Henman.

TennisNiche
03-09-2012, 01:07 AM
That's how he's always been, good with the bad mixed in with the injuries.

http://tennisniche.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/nalbandian-in-one-match/

And his problem has never been a lack of weapons, apart from in a couple of match ups where he can be overwhelmed.

Funnily enough, it is against the supposedly extinct one handers of Wawrinka and Almagro that Dave and his sexy two handed backhand have been over powered (6 straight losses to Wawrinka)

kimbahpnam
03-10-2012, 02:06 AM
just served a bagel to starace if that means anything