PDA

View Full Version : New Kneissl Black Star

bosworthbatter
03-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Have just been informed that Kneissl has made a new version of the Black Star with a 100 sq inch head. Been a big fan for many years with the reach titan models and more recently the 110. Have just done an internet search and came up empty regarding reviews and sites to purchase. Anyone played with one??

tball
03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
It is decent. Predictable stringbed, no hotspots. It is lightweight, easy to swing, tradional weight distribution (no surprises). For doubles, will probably be perferct. For singles, I find it lacks plow-through. Have not tried any lead on it yet.

Compared to other 100 sq racquets I know:
1. Volkl C10 Oversize Xtended -- volkl has way more power, better plow, and better feel on impact. Very stable at the net, but hard to serve with.
2. BB V1 oversize -- Black Star is better in all respects.
3. Head LM/YT Instinct -- better serves, but sluggish, and has stiff/unpleasant feel. Black Star is better.
4. Vantage Custom 100, 63RA, 16x19 -- more stable, more plow, better serve; is heavier/slower than Black star. Probably, best of the bunch for singles.
5. Volkl Tour 8 -- standard length is bleh, but the long black version is very close to Black Star. Tour 8 has more responsive stringbed, and nicer feedback. Serves "just right". But some shots appear to fly on me out of nowhere, and for this reason, for match play, I avoid it.
6. Dunlop Tour Pro Superlong +1.0 -- this is probably the closest to Black Star in feel, mobility, power and all other attributes, but is 95 sq. in.

Beware that the new models (mine is 2010) have the Volkl Grip shape (and what looks to me like exact Volkl buttcaps from some years back). For this grip shape, I order 1 size smaller than my usual grip.

Other than the grip shape, the Black Star has no flaws, no quirks. It plays very reliably and is very dependable.

scotus
03-01-2012, 09:13 PM
It is decent. Predictable stringbed, no hotspots. It is lightweight, easy to swing, tradional weight distribution (no surprises). For doubles, will probably be perferct. For singles, I find it lacks plow-through. Have not tried any lead on it yet.

Compared to other 100 sq racquets I know:
1. Volkl C10 Oversize Xtended -- volkl has way more power, better plow, and better feel on impact. Very stable at the net, but hard to serve with.
2. BB V1 oversize -- Black Star is better in all respects.
3. Head LM/YT Instinct -- better serves, but sluggish, and has stiff/unpleasant feel. Black Star is better.
4. Vantage Custom 100, 63RA, 16x19 -- more stable, more plow, better serve; is heavier/slower than Black star. Probably, best of the bunch for singles.
5. Volkl Tour 8 -- standard length is bleh, but the long black version is very close to Black Star. Tour 8 has more responsive stringbed, and nicer feedback. Serves "just right". But some shots appear to fly on me out of nowhere, and for this reason, for match play, I avoid it.
6. Dunlop Tour Pro Superlong +1.0 -- this is probably the closest to Black Star in feel, mobility, power and all other attributes, but is 95 sq. in.

Beware that the new models (mine is 2010) have the Volkl Grip shape (and what looks to me like exact Volkl buttcaps from some years back). For this grip shape, I order 1 size smaller than my usual grip.

Other than the grip shape, the Black Star has no flaws, no quirks. It plays very reliably and is very dependable.

Is it an extended-length model? If so, how long?

bosworthbatter
03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks Tball - that's a good comparative summary mate
Scotus - its a 27.5
Would be willing to buy just to demo. Anyone know where they can be found??

michael valek
03-02-2012, 01:19 AM
bosworth, i have info on black stars for you, please email me michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com thanks
mike

Automatix
03-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Contact Michael at: michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com

Edit:
bosworth, i have info on black stars for you, please email me michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com thanks
mike One step ahead of me...

ced
03-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Thanks Tball - that's a good comparative summary mate
Scotus - its a 27.5
Would be willing to buy just to demo. Anyone know where they can be found??

Length of Black Star (2010 and later) is 695mm (27.3") ........ and that is spot-on for my three.

The 2007 model was 27.5", but Kneissl changed that in 2010.

I got my last one from Kneissl-uk