PDA

View Full Version : An interesting afternoon (help customizing Head YT IG Radical Pro)

falc02
03-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

I went to a head demo day today, thinking I was either going to walk away with a YT IG Prestige or go elsewhere to buy a Dunlop Bio300T. However after hitting with the prestige and the Dunlop side by side I was not impressed by the board feel of the Prestige and lack of head stability in the Dunlop. I was previously using the Head YT Radical Pro and wanted something with more control and slightly less power. I was not aware that they had completed redone the IG radical pro. I tried the new version and it was much closer to what I was looking for, which was great. In the end I ended up leaving with the Radicals.

However this is where my novel ends and I would like some feedback from you guru's on this forum. I really like the racquet however I still feel I can still get some more out of it.

I have currently added an overgrip and shock absorber. This means its static weight is 331, 5 points HL with swingweight of 332.

I like that swingweight that it currently is but would like to increase the weight closer to 340 and possibly move to ~6 points HL.

Would the best place to do this by adding some weight above the grip or at the bottom of the handle or both? Also what is the best way to add lead around the grip (e.g. rap around the top of the grip? I don't particularly want to remove the leather grip if I can help it). If I was to add it at the bottom handle, would it be better to stick lead tap inside the bottom of the handle or use the little weights I viewed in customization pages.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,
FALC

tymmh789
03-02-2012, 07:14 AM
I did something similar to my YTPP except I just kept the balance the same. What I would do is get a 9g strip of lead (approx. 36in of 1/4in tape) and cut that into 2 pieces. With one of the 2 pieces divide that up evenly into 4 parts. Locate the middle cross in your racquet and where that string hits the frame (essentially 3 and 9) is where the center of each of those 4 small strips should go. To counter the weight that you added to the hoop take the second long piece of lead and wrap it just above the grip (approx. 7in from the buttcap). This should keep the original balance the same. If you want more HL then I would either just add more to the handle if you are ok with going over 340g or take some from the hoop and add that to the lead on the handle, not sure how much though. Hopefully this helps.

corners
03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Untape your overgrip and base grip, unravel about 3 turns, wrap 9 grams of lead tape (27 inches of 1/4" tape or 13.5 inches of 1/2" tape) around the top of the handle, re-wrap the top of the raplacement grip, tape it, rewrap the top of the overgrip, tape.